Where Did My Deer Go.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where Did My Deer Go.......

For the last several years I have had 4 resident does in my little patch of woods at the farm. I would see these does(and fawns) every year on camera up until March.

I just pulled the cards on 6 game cams and am only seeing one doe and one fawn.

I do have coyotes and dogs running the property but they didn't run them off in past years.

The does are what pull the bucks to my property during the rut. Where could they have gone?

Do y'all experience population shifts like this with your deer?

Are they there during summer each year, I know our deer at the house change in between summer/winter.

Comment

Do you mean you have seen them year around until this past March or they disappear every year in March?

If the latter than they likely just spend the summers somewhere else due to available forage or pressure change. I have a lot of deer that are regulars in the summer then disappear with the October full moon(rut) then show back up late winter/early spring. On the flipside we will see new bucks during the season that never show up on camera the rest of the year.

Comment

things change.

Comment

I know that a doe will seek out a smaller home range fawning area and it will not range out of it till the fawn(s) get a little larger. This could be what is happening with the predator and dog traffic on the place. In my area I have had really good rainfall and green up. Deer left the protein/corn feeders for days. It is still raining a little(as of last week) and now the deer are eating persimmons. Still not getting a lot of protein or corn consumption in the pens. I know the deer are around since I saw them in June when it was raining and could see the sign.

Comment

I talked to my pasture guy this morning. He said he saw one of the dogs fighting a cow with a new born calf back there last week. His gun jambed and he didn't get a shot.

Guess I know what is running my deer.

FWIW, I was pig hunting last night and watched two yots playing within 10' of the cows. The cows didn't even look up as they were totally unconcerned with the coyotes in their midst.

Comment

Get rid of them dogs.

Comment

their home summer range is totally diff then after they rub velvet

Comment

Working...
                X