How to plan an elk trip?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to plan an elk trip?

I really would like to try a DIY elk trip to Colorado. Problem is, I don't know anyone who has done it and don't know where to get started. How do you even know what unit to apply to hunt? I've heard, if you can Google the place, it's gonna be too crowded so don't hunt that area. Can anybody give me some advice on how to start a plan? Thanks

-CH

Do you have an idea of a budget you want to keep to?

Comment

My suggestion, especially if its your first western hunt, is to start off small with muleys. Elk can be very hard and tasking to hunt. Deer are plentiful and easier to get your feet wet with.
      Last edited by Bowhuntamistad; 10-20-2016, 10:25 PM.

Comment

following.

Comment

Start getting into shape now, the altitude can make for a long hunt

Comment

Originally posted by TXbowman View Post
            I really would like to try a DIY elk trip to Colorado. Problem is, I don't know anyone who has done it and don't know where to get started. How do you even know what unit to apply to hunt? I've heard, if you can Google the place, it's gonna be too crowded so don't hunt that area. Can anybody give me some advice on how to start a plan? Thanks

-CH
            Have you thought about doing a drop camp?

Comment

It's not always about the kill..... Hell I went in 2010 with a great group of TBHers and had blast. I didn't get within several hundred yards of an elk other than the cow that was killed but I had a GREAT time. The adventure started out and ended with memories I'll have forever.

Comment

You just have to do it. Colorado website has tons of information about success rate, draw odds, migration rate, etc. You can get an over the counter archery tag all over Colorado. Talk a buddy into going or speak up on this forum. I was talking about western hunting on here last year and another member, Chris sent me a PM and bam we just went. We had a blast and got in game everyday.

Plan Your Own Elk Hunt for $1,000 by Randy Newberg I hear it year-after-year. “Goin’ elk hunting?” “Nope, didn’t draw. You?” “Nah, didn’t draw either. [...]

Comment

Planning an archery trip for next fall now. Me my 17 year old son and another college age friend are going. Going after mule deer first in an effort to try out equipment and get the feel of mountain hunting. Only two of us are shooters for this trip...college guy is along because he is a D1 cross country runner with legs and lungs .

We are more excited about the experience than a kill....but really wannna send an arrow through a mullet.

Will be following this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by James View Post
                    You just have to do it. Colorado website has tons of information about success rate, draw odds, migration rate, etc. You can get an over the counter archery tag all over Colorado. Talk a buddy into going or speak up on this forum. I was talking about western hunting on here last year and another member, Chris sent me a PM and bam we just went. We had a blast and got in game everyday.

http://www.rmef.org/TheHunt/Before/PlanforGrand.aspx
                    This.

I loaded up my gear and drove out to Colorado last year. No real idea what I was doing, and didn't take an elk, but had a heck of a good time. Learned a lot, next time I think I'll be a little more successful.

One of the biggest lessons learned is to NOT take advice from the locals or other hunters, they don't like competition and will purposely steer you wrong. I went right where everybody said not to go, and ran into several people who told me not to go there.

Comment

Originally posted by TXbowman View Post

-CH
                      Iv always wanted to do this also, but i know i cant until my kids get older so momma doesn't have such a handful. But iv been trying to gather knowledge on it already. Their is a ton of videos on YouTube on guys gear bags they take, areas, just over all hunting trip. Id start their to get some basic knowledge on the subject. Maybe call Colorado parks n wildlife ask about area an tag procedures etc... i watch a guys channel on YouTube called hushin, hunts alot an pretty smart with it. Good luck to ya.

Comment

Its going to be challenging without getting boots on the ground.

You can read until you are blue in the face. The topo and aerial maps I purchased and studied for months didn't paint the real picture once I stepped out of the truck at the trail head.

Personally, I would try to go with someone who has experience elk hunting (in that area) or at least get an outfitter to pack you in to a camp. Thats just me. I tried a semi-guided hunt this year in NM. Had a great time, but it almost seemed too pampered. Not to mention the cost was about X5 times what my diy hunt in CO cost.

I'm going to put in for draws this year if I can figure out what the hail to do.
                        Last edited by Traildust; 10-21-2016, 06:59 AM.

Comment

I went on my first elk hunt this year. Had three months to prepare and then took off.

Do you want to bow hunt or gun hunt?

I bowhunted and I'll tell you kind of what I did:
                          Pick any OTC unit
                          Study that unit, use the colorado overlay map and find areas the elk are in season you want to go, this narrows down area some.
                          Start studying google earth and topo maps for those areas. Steep north facing slopes are good places to start.
                          Find good looking terrain trying to stay 2 miles from nearest trailhead or road.
                          Use Google maps and make your own map with marks and trails.
                          If you can go on a hiking trip to scout the area in July or august.
                          When you show up, look for elk sign such as watering holes, tree rubs, foot prints, droppings, etc.

This is not even close to all the information you need but it'll get you started. You will need to read a ton and as others said you need boots on the ground to truly understand terrain. It is best to find an experienced friend as learning and hunting solo for the first time is tough.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Comment

I will only be able to say what I did. Truthfully, I did most of my research on Bowsite elk hunting forum. What information I got was about equipment to take, where to get a topo map. There was a guy on there that posted under the handle Elk Nut. He has several videos about calling and studying terrain that would hold elk. I bought a couple of those DVDs.
                            Ultimately, I went on a guided hunt. I hunted with my brother in law, who lives in western Colorado.
                            He told me where we would be hunting and I bought a custom topo map from MyTopo.com.
                            We hunted Unit 62 just north of the divide road,which separates 62 from 61. Unit 61 is a hard to draw trophy unit.
                            Because of this, there were lots of other hunters in the same area. BUT, all we had to do to get away from them was to get off the roads and cross over a little mountain. We got into elk immediately. My brother in law managed to call and a couple but they never got within bow range. He ended up shooting a cow.Hunt where there is a good population of elk.
                            Don't pressure the elk too hard once you find them or you will blow them out of the area. We did that.
                            Get your LUNGS in excellent condition.
                            Get your legs in excellent condition.
                            Get your core in excellent condition.
                            Carry your map and compass or gps. It helped us to know where to go to get away fom other hunters.
                            Carry raingear and a fire starter EVERY TIME you leave camp.
                            Drink lots of water.
                            Pace yourself.

Comment

While I have never hunted elk. I use onxmaps in multiple states to great affect and just joined GOHUNT insider. Both services cost you but what you gain in knowledge will pay for itself ten fold, I promise. You will learn where you can draw, harvest success rates, where there's public access, where there's not. Herd and trophy quality in area etc. Using both in tandem together is almost like cheating. Just my experience.

Comment

Working...
                              X