Anyone raise chickens?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone raise chickens?

I'm about to start. Researching coops now. My household is basically carb free, so we go through a LOT of eggs. Going to start small, 8 or so chickens, then see where it takes us.

Easy to keep and good eating

Comment

Love the fresh yard eggs. I've had chickens for many years.

Comment

Care to share any pictures of your coop/pen?

Comment

My wife has a flock of 15. We end up giving away eggs to friends and family.

Here's a link to a good site. Study up and you can be a "chickenologist" like my wife.

Does your pet make you breakfast? Tips & Tricks for raising chickens, building chicken coops, & choosing chicken breeds + ask questions in our community forum

Comment

There was a thread a while back about best laying chickens.
            We have a dozen chickens. Small pen with a coop from Tractor Supply inside for them to roost and lay their eggs.

Comment

Critters are my worst problem. If you live in a Rural area make your coop varmint proof.
              Good luck they are as easy or as hard to raise as you make it.

Comment

No pictures right now but I just got finished building my wife a 5x10 coop for her chicken addiction. We had an agreement originally to keep the flock around 8-10 now we are up to about 16 full size and 6 more in the brooder that she brought home from atwoods on Saturday.

Comment

Critters are my worst problem. If you live in a Rural area make your coop varmint proof.
                  Good luck they are as easy or as hard to raise as you make it.

Comment

Do yourself a favor and build a coop with an automatic door. I went out of country and for 3 weeks. Came home and the girls were all healthy and happy. I did have someone come by every 3 days and pull eggs. Don’t worry about a lot of nesting box space. They all use the same 1 or 2 anyway. Mine were true free range and just ate whatever. Only feed we gave them were leftovers and sometimes my kids would throw them fish

Comment

Just started

Originally posted by bearintex View Post
                      I'm about to start. Researching coops now. My household is basically carb free, so we go through a LOT of eggs. Going to start small, 8 or so chickens, then see where it takes us.
                      Purchased a coop from Tractor Supply and tied it into a 12 x 6 dog kennel wrapped the kennel in hard wire, made a waterer out of a water cooler and some pvc. You can buy the 1/2 inch pvc T's fitted for a chicken nipple and make one. Made some feeders from 3 inch pvc and a Y kind of like a pipe feeder for deer. We started out with 6 and we're getting maybe 2 dozen eggs a week.

Comment

Originally posted by Grndchecker View Post
                        There was a thread a while back about best laying chickens.
                        We have a dozen chickens. Small pen with a coop from Tractor Supply inside for them to roost and lay their eggs.
                        I'm thinking this is the way I'm going to go. More for time saving on building the coop as much anything.

Comment

A lot depends if they will be contained or free roam. Contained in my opinion is work. Free roam they need water. They will feed themselves. Put some sand out by the coop if you don’t have sandy soil

Comment

I have a chicken tractor that's gonna need a place to go in the near future

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

It's cheaper to buy your eggs. I have chickens but it's only because the wife.

Comment

Working...
                              X