first time online gun purchase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

first time online gun purchase

So I've got my mind dead set on a rifle I want to buy, the problem is no one in my area carries it in stock, and bass pro said they couldn't even order it. I have found several in stock online, and not against online purchases, I've just never done one for a firearm. Can some please explain the whole process for me. What I need to do as far as finding an ffl and having the gun shipped. Thanks.

Call local shop. Ask what transfer fee is. If acceptable, let them know you want to have a gun transferred through them. Go online. Buy gun. Call or email company you bought gun from and provide phone number of shop doing transfer. Wait for phone call to pick up gun. Pick up gun. Live happily ever after.

Comment

I've bought both a pistol and a shotgun on line. You have to find a local FFL dealer that will accept the gun, then either have them send their FFL information to the seller or you get a copy of their info and send it to the seller yourself. Then the seller ships the gun to your local FFL dealer and you go pick it up and pay them their transfer fee and fill out the paperwork.
      On gun broker you can search for local FFL dealers and what they charge to the transfer. Be sure to call them to verify their fee and see how they want to handle the paperwork. Most charge about $20, but I've seen them charge as little as $5 and as much as $75.

Comment

you can check out galleryofguns.com and they will give you total out the door prices are various FFLs around you. Then you don't have to worry about sending any paperwork in or contacting a FFL for fees.

Comment

Originally posted by JustinJanow View Post
          you can check out galleryofguns.com and they will give you total out the door prices are various FFLs around you. Then you don't have to worry about sending any paperwork in or contacting a FFL for fees.
          High prices usually

Comment

as Keith mentioned, go to gunbrokers FFL finder for a list of FFLs willing to do transfers
            Last edited by duckmanep; 01-06-2015, 06:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by duckmanep View Post
              High prices usually
              I've found a few good deals from them. Don't get sale prices like other places though. And you don't have to worry about a transfer fee or sending in any paperwork

I've found a very easy to use FFL now who charges 10 bucks plus 5 for extra guns so it's not hard to shoot him an email with what I bought and he does the rest.

Comment

PM Bigtex308. He's a FFL and can explain it all to you. He's a bit far away from you, in Dayton, but I know he will answer any questions you have. I've dealt with him and he is a great guy.

Comment

Thanks for all the info

Comment

Originally posted by duckmanep View Post
                    High prices usually

The prices listed without doing the instant quote are MSRP and are much higher than what you end up buying the gun for. The trick is to tweak the zip code when you search and search every single dealer listing. Usually there are one or two shops within reasonable driving distance that have a really good deal. I bought a new lefty Ruger Hawkeye 223 not too long ago for $515 out the door and got my (at the time) very rare lefty Hawkeye Alaska 375 for $600.

Comment

Find you a good place to transfer and once you've done one you'll question ever buying a gun from a store again.

Comment

So before I even pay for the gun online, I need to contact the ffl and have all paperwork sent to the seller correct?

Comment

Originally posted by JayKen86 View Post
                          So before I even pay for the gun online, I need to contact the ffl and have all paperwork sent to the seller correct?

Its a good idea to touch base with the FFL first until you know how they operate. Some have you fill out a transfer form. Most shops wont hand out a copy of their license to individuals, so more than likely, the dealer you buy from will comtact your shop to get the needed paperwork.

Comment

Gun genie which is gallery of guns will give you options of ffl you want to use. Just do the instant quote. Bought 1 thru them and used The Arms room several years ago. Just put partial payment to gun genie and pay the rest to The Arms Room. The Arms Room takes care of doing paper work. They will contact you when the gun gets in. Was pretty easy.

Comment

Originally posted by JayKen86 View Post
                              yes you will want to contact them first to make sure they will accept the transfer, and get a quote for their fee.

1. talk to FFL
                              2. order gun
                              3. send info to FFL of where you purchased, order number, contact info
                              4. wait for FFL call to pickup
                              5. go to FFL, complete a 4473, pass a background check, pay FFL transfer fee, leave with gun
                              Last edited by duckmanep; 01-06-2015, 07:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X