Advice on running dove day hunts.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by trailrider View Post
    just a thought, I don't know what you plant for a winter crop. But sunflower stalks are a pain to run a grain drill over, even after discing.
    Ok, thanks. I plant about 1/4 of one of the fields in oats for deer hunting.

Comment

One field near Bronte had haygrazer, sunflowers, millet, and Johnson grass. Farmer bailed it in august, plowed it under in October, and it all kept coming back. he may have drilled some of it in, its possible.

Best doves I have seen consistant was in the early 90's south of Deleon on a peanut farm. they would dig the peanuts right near labor day. Later they harvested in October, which slowed it down some. It was always good, because he had a 17 acre lake he irrigated out of which always had a big sandy beach the birds loved for gravel.

Comment

If I was designing a dove field today, it would be sunflowers.

Comment

If you can plant sesame then do that..... it blows away hunting over sunflowers

Plant your a stuff a few weeks apart, so it matures at different times of the year and will hold birds longer

Everybody and their mother wants to hunt opening weekend, you will have a hard time selling hunts after the 2nd weekend.

Your in the oilfield hotspot, find a company who will do a corporate lease for the season and/or find a company that will lease the day spots. Cook lunch or an early dinner for them and add $50-100 per person to the hunt.

Sell day hunts the first week or two, then don't worry about that anymore and lease the fields out for the rest of the season to a group or company.

Take bales of hay and place them in the fields, they make good cover to hide behind and also good reminders as to where the other guys in the field are sitting.
          Last edited by Catarina; 04-15-2018, 02:44 AM.

Comment

Thanks, Catarina!
            I had actually thought of putting the bales out for cover and position markers.

Comment

There is no money in it. Especially if Houston floods. My liability insurance was 3k. I am going back to free hunting. If you dont charge you dont need it or at least I dont. I know I have a bad attitude about it and I'm a little burned out. On a really good year I made about 20k. No one wants to pay after the opener. Some of my hunts were rediculously scary for me. I wouldnt hardly leave my truck some years. I have planted sunflowers for a long time. 30 plus years. I like the party of it and seeing certain folks that I dont get to see often enough. My best sunflower fields are planted in cotton and white corn.if the corn comes off early enough I can plant there if not I'm planting 17 acres by my house behind onions.

Comment

Form a Limited Liability Company (LLC) to do the hunting through. The LLC would lease the land from you and contract with the hunters.

Comment

Originally posted by Farmdog View Post
                  There is no money in it. Especially if Houston floods. My liability insurance was 3k. I am going back to free hunting. If you dont charge you dont need it or at least I dont. I know I have a bad attitude about it and I'm a little burned out. On a really good year I made about 20k. No one wants to pay after the opener. Some of my hunts were rediculously scary for me. I wouldnt hardly leave my truck some years. I have planted sunflowers for a long time. 30 plus years. I like the party of it and seeing certain folks that I dont get to see often enough. My best sunflower fields are planted in cotton and white corn.if the corn comes off early enough I can plant there if not I'm planting 17 acres by my house behind onions.
                  Did you say FREE?

Comment

I think thats what I said Randall wanted to quit charging a long time ago. My "wifa"does most the work for the parties. She might have something to say about it! Carry On guys...sorry for the highjack.. good luck in whatever you decide

Comment

Originally posted by Catarina View Post
                      If you can plant sesame then do that..... it blows away hunting over sunflowers

Plant your a stuff a few weeks apart, so it matures at different times of the year and will hold birds longer

Everybody and their mother wants to hunt opening weekend, you will have a hard time selling hunts after the 2nd weekend.

Your in the oilfield hotspot, find a company who will do a corporate lease for the season and/or find a company that will lease the day spots. Cook lunch or an early dinner for them and add $50-100 per person to the hunt.

Sell day hunts the first week or two, then don't worry about that anymore and lease the fields out for the rest of the season to a group or company.

Take bales of hay and place them in the fields, they make good cover to hide behind and also good reminders as to where the other guys in the field are sitting.
                      Solid advice.

Comment

Thanks for a view from the been there done that perspective, Farmdog. I appreciate that.

Comment

I also forgot to mention, don't mix groups and don't let people hunt if you know the birds aren't there anymore.

If you mix groups, little things can turn into big things. A group of friends hunting together wont make a big deal out of something, but if somebody else they don't know does the exact same thing, it can turn into a headache pretty quick.

If you know birds aren't around, then just be honest and let them know. There is nothing worse than hearing smart arse comments when you have guys in the field and no birds flying. The money you make that day isn't worth the feeling you get when people aren't satisfied.

Birds might be thick one day, and gone the next. So booking hunts is easy but that doesn't mean its going to be a good hunt when the time comes.

Once you start hunts, start to weed through your hunters pretty quick and hopefully you'll find groups that you like and trust that will hunt with you each season. If you don't feel comfortable with a group then don't let them hunt next year.

My nephew runs hunts on our place and normally has 200+ guys during the season and also does corporate leases for companies. He makes enough during the first week of season to buy a new pickup each year if he wanted haha...... The party and business connections is a major driving force that makes the whole thing fun. Plus watching kids get there first hunting experience is also at the very top.

Comment

I have personal relationships with a few people that have lots of connections in management in the oilfield, and then others that are businessmen with lots of connections. In the Pleasanton and South Texas area, of course. I could probably find quality people readily.

Comment

I also know a handful of cops that I could let hunt for free to help keep a lid on the trouble.
                              One of them being my brother.

Comment

Working...
                              X