Advice on running dove day hunts.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice on running dove day hunts.

I have two long narrow fields on the ranch that are basically perfect for hunting doves out of, if the birds are willing. They are long and skinny with a road running along each. I'm wanting to plant several strips of sunflower or millet or whatever and then run some day hunts. Any advice on how to approach this far as how to plant what to plant liability insurance etcetera?

shop liability insurance and read the fine print. County agent can help with what to plant. Can you handle thousand of shell casing in your field? Hard on cattle if running in off season. Just food for thought. Check out local rates for day hunts, lots of places birds leave after 1st weekend, can you keep them all season. Might look at group lease instead of day hunting, freeing up your time, meeting and dealing with every hunter.

Comment

Camping available, season and/or day lease?

I'd like to dove hunt three or four weekends in your area, please put me down for two spots for opening weekend. Be glad to sign a release and will pick up all trash and hulls.

Comment

I assume this is Pleasanton area? It would be nice to have a good place for dove
        Sunflowers and crouton/ goat weeds

Comment

Liability ins and spread em out so they don't shoot each other.. can't go wrong with sunflowers and sorgo..

Comment

The location is north of Pleasanton up Highway 281. What I had in mind was lining up everyone on one side of the field because they are long and skinny. The fields are roughly 500 yards long and was thinking I could put up to 10 shooters per field. The road comment is they could park on the road and hunt right outside their vehicles. Everyone would be shooting basically in one direction. Think of a battleship firing all guns in broadside one direction.

Comment

No camping at this time. There's a possibility of hunting a tank in the future, but just the fields at this point. Right now the fields are leased out to my neighbor for planting haygrazer. I can absolutely make more money if I get the birds and the shooters by doing the dove hunting thing.

Comment

Thumper, I think planting time for dove crops is right now and the rent for this year is already paid, so it won't this season/year.

Comment

Originally posted by Skipper View Post
                  shop liability insurance and read the fine print. County agent can help with what to plant. Can you handle thousand of shell casing in your field? Hard on cattle if running in off season. Just food for thought. Check out local rates for day hunts, lots of places birds leave after 1st weekend, can you keep them all season. Might look at group lease instead of day hunting, freeing up your time, meeting and dealing with every hunter.
                  A lot of those thoughts are they same thoughts I'm having. We have the birds that come through and good numbers, but they have never really had that kind of food source, so I don't know what it would be like.

Comment

Who ever has your homeowners insurance should be able go sell you a good farm liability ( if you don't already have one) run it about 2-5 million. Few hundred bucks a year.

Comment

Doves flying over while my brother and I were building fence couple years ago.

[ame="http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=n7IrUqbOqcU"]Whitewings - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

I would PM Farmdog on this...I know his ins is high & I continuously worry about his blood pressure during WWA

He gets really nervous about someone getting hurt.

Comment

I have hunted a couple of fields that were haygrazer. Did well.

Comment

Originally posted by double bogey View Post
                            I have hunted a couple of fields that were haygrazer. Did well.
                            Yeah, that is something that is bothering me. With the grazer being planted there the dove action on those fields really hasn't been hot. I was wondering if the sunflowers and milo route would be an improvement to help draw them in.

Comment

just a thought, I don't know what you plant for a winter crop. But sunflower stalks are a pain to run a grain drill over, even after discing.

Comment

Working...
                              X