Fayetteville County Double

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fayetteville County Double

Had a great hunt this morning. Filled both buck tags with in ten minutes of each other. First was an 11 point and second was a 3 point.
    Hunt started early as the deer started moving about. 6:20. Second deer I saw was the 11. He fed for a while at 50 yards as I tried to see what was on his head. Then he looked north and walked into the brush. I figured he either was on a doe or another buck was coming. Two young bucks milled around and one found my hand corn. Then like you opened the gate about12-14 does started pouring out of the mesquite brush. The young buck took chase and the show was on. All of the sudden a big bodied deer appeared at the feeder. It was a you g 10 point I had passed before. Deer where everywhere. I had 24 deer around my blind. Then in the distance, on my food plot I see the 11 headed back in my direction. He was 100 yards or so away. He rounded the feed pen at 50 yards and as he started to enter an area I removed the panel from he stopped, lip curled and headed to the group of does in my hand corn. I grabbed by range finder and bow. At 22 yards he began eating but I had one shot. After a couple minutes he took off after a doe and was gone. I knew he would be back and sure enough after the does settled back in here he came. Once again feeding and pushing does but no shot presented itself. He ran the doesagain this time to the left where there was no corn. As he looked for corn he worked his way into my shootingland and was finally broadside. I drew my Bow tech BX2 Mag to full draw and a doe walked between my sight pin and the buck. I held for over 2 minutes as I waited for the doe to clear and the buck to get broadside again. Feeling the tension growing in my shoulder I knew I had to shoot or letdown. With deer less than 10 yards I knew letting down was risky. Finally the buck turned enough that I was comfortable with the slight quartering to angle. I touched the release and the arrow hit hard with a thud. As the buck left my sight I saw a larger try wound and knew I would soon be making a recovery. I checked my phone and it was 7 am. I told myself that was going to wait 30 minutes before looking for the 11 point.

With so many deer still in the area and none really knowing what happened I knocked another arrow and quietly sat to see if one one the young slick antlered bucks might make his way back to corn. What a cool opportunity to kill 2 bucks in one sit. After several minutes the deer started to cautiously filter back in. With in 10 minutes I had several back in the hand corn. Then a 3 point decided to join the others. He stopped broadside at 22 yards. I drew and settled the pin on his vitals. As the arrow hit the buck pitched and headed for the woods. I checked my phone and it was 7:11.

At 7:30 I climbed out of my ground blind to make the recovery of other bucks. I went and retrieved my arrows that were about 10 feet apart. Both were soaked with blood. The steady cold rain eliminated any chance of blood trailing. I walked in the direction that both bucks left the shooting lane and almost immediately spotted the 3 point buck. He had gone no more than 30 yards. I pulled him back to the road and continued to look for the 11. I knew because of the shot angle that he probably went farther. I made the first circle and no deer. I then did what my grandfather always told me to do when looking for a shot deer, go the direction he came from. As I stared walking and looking I. The area he came from I walked up on the young 10 I had seen earlier. I was no more than 15 yards from him and he was pawing the round and paid no attention to me. He looked right at me and still did not react. I found this to be unusual behavior and I as I continued to move he final snorted and ran off. There was my buck. The -0 had been fighting and pawing the dead deer. He actually wore outa 2 foot circle he had been there so long.

As I approached the 11 I was very thankful that I had found this buck. He actually grew in size compared to what I thought he was. With both my tags filled I drug him up to road and retrieved my gator, my two bucks and my gear. After skinning and gutting both I caped the 11 so I could do my first DIY shoulder mount. The antlers just kept getting bigger. I had figured the buck around 130 and that was the consensus here on the forum. When I got through taping him out he was 145 5/8. I was shocked. O matter the score I was happy to have tagged him and had an unbelievable hunt.

Very nice!!

Comment

That’s a great day for sure

Comment

Awsome man. What a day you had. That 11 is nice. Congratulations!

Comment

Supposed to be Fayette County. Dang auto correct

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thats a great fayette county buck. Congrats.

What area do you hunt.

Comment

Very nice congratulations.

Comment

Near Winchester

Comment

Nice, congrats

Comment

Great deer. Nice chocolate horns

Comment

Nice, congrats!

Comment

Awesome deer for this area! Congrats on the great hunt!

Comment

Nice Congrats

Comment

Congratulations X2.

Comment

Congrats on the double, nice buck!

Comment

Working...
                              X