Best Drawn hunt for JAVELINA ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Drawn hunt for JAVELINA ?

Looking for help on which WMA to apply for in regards to finding Javelina.
    ( i have 3 preference points )

My step-son got drawn 2 years ago at Chaparral at shot a Javi within roughly 45 minutes. That place is the only experience i have. Maybe it was just luck getting on them so quick ?

Drawn hunt areas are :

Big Bend
    Black Gap
    Chaparral
    Davis Mountains
    Elephant Mountain
    James Daughtrey
    Las Palomas - Arroyo Colorado and Longoria Units
    San Angelo

has anyone been to More than 1 of these, or, have multiple experiences at any individual place ?

thanks, clay

Following

Comment

San Angelo has the highest kill % the past couple years, followed by Las Palomas.

Comment

Hunted Chaparral years ago and didn't see anything but deer.

Hunted Daughtry 3 years ago and shot feral hogs, but no javis. Several were shot by other groups though.

Hunted Big Bend year before last. Saw a bunch but I went spot and stalk only with my bow and struck out. If I took a rifle I could have had one.

Comment

I took a Javi with my recurve at Black Gap about 20 years ago. Tough hunt, but the scenery and remoteness is 2nd to none. Just wouldn't feel right hunting javi's on flatland after that.

Comment

Thanks. Anybody else ?

Comment

Never hunted Daughtrey but had a deer lease across the road from it for 15 years. Javi's were there sometimes and not other times. We would see them all over for a few years then not see one at all for a few years. Haven't seen any the past couple years.

Comment

I've hunted the Chap twice and Daugherty once for deer.

The first Chap hunt was a strike out, had very poor weather but still nearly 50% success for that weekend.

The second Chap hunt this past fall, both my dad and I killed and I could have killed several with a rifle on the first two hunts. Didn't see another after that. My dad didn’t see a Javi until the last morning and put him down. Again it was %50 or better for the weekend with many people not seeing one.

On the Daugherty doe and spike hunt, we both killed the only two boars that we saw. I think several others were killed over the weekend.

IMO, since most of these places don't feed outside of the hand corn from the weekend drawn hunters they move around quite a bit. It's a matter of luck and being in the right place at the right time.

I have zero preference points for Javi and will likely apply again at the Chap.

Comment

davis mtns.

spot and stalk in the davis mountains, whats not to like.

Comment

Anybody been to San Angelo ?

Comment

Originally posted by clayg08 View Post
                      Anybody been to San Angelo ?

I did year before last. I was in area 9 and stand 45. It was in the west end of the lake and tons of javi. Shot two first hunt and went home

Comment

They will let you hunt with a bow you just have to ask

Comment

Originally posted by Shroom View Post
                          They will let you hunt with a bow you just have to ask

Thanks !

Comment

I have hunted both Daughtrey and the Chap. My best results were at the Chap (taken three total over the years).

Comment

I saw Javi both times I was drawn on the Chap. Killed one the first time and missed one the second time but my buddy got one. Youth hunt with my son this year was a strike out though.

Comment

Working...
                              X