Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 10-04-2017, 05:11 PM   #1
ltsheets
Eight Point

Default Rem 700 TI won't shoot

I have an original rem700 TI in 30-06 that I can not get to shoot well. I tried some quick handloads and hornady precision 178eldx before floating the stock thinking that might fix the problem. Went back out yesterday and shot the same hornady along with some nosler 165ab factory loads and still only managed 2" groups. Should I consider replacing the stock and bedding it first or should I rebarrel with the same stock? Just thinking about options. Gonna try some 150s in it first before changing anything.
ltsheets is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2017, 05:43 PM   #2
oneisnone
Ten Point

How’s the scope? Level, mounted correct, screws torqued down?
How’s the barrel? Appx rounds fired, have you had a borescope put down it?
Shooting from a rest or off-hand?
Does it feed ok and extract shot brass ok?
Has it ever shot well? (By the Previous owner, no offense meant)

You may have already confirmed all this, just asking before you have to spend the coin on a new barrel.
oneisnone is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2017, 05:51 PM   #3
droptine8850
Eight Point

Hunt In: South Taylor county

I had a stainless Remington 700 mountain rifle in 30-06, that I couldn't ever get it to shoot well. Rebarreled to 35 Whelen and put it in a laminated stock and now factory ammo shoots well under an inch. That Browning stainless stalker carbon fluted 270 wsm I bought from you, sure does shoot darts......thanks again!!
droptine8850 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2017, 06:03 PM   #4
ltsheets
Eight Point

Scope is new vortex razor, level, and torqued to specs.

Barrel has an unknown number of rounds down in it but based on overall condition I can't see it being many, though I could be wrong. Never borescoped.

Sandbags

Feeds great with no extraction issues

Haven't talked to the original owner as I don't have his info, previous owner didn't shoot it and no offense taken haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneisnone View Post
How’s the scope? Level, mounted correct, screws torqued down?
How’s the barrel? Appx rounds fired, have you had a borescope put down it?
Shooting from a rest or off-hand?
Does it feed ok and extract shot brass ok?
Has it ever shot well? (By the Previous owner, no offense meant)

You may have already confirmed all this, just asking before you have to spend the coin on a new barrel.
Old 10-04-2017, 06:04 PM   #5
ltsheets
Eight Point

Haha hey man! I was wondering how you were liking the rifle the other day. It's a cool little gun for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by droptine8850 View Post
I had a stainless Remington 700 mountain rifle in 30-06, that I couldn't ever get it to shoot well. Rebarreled to 35 Whelen and put it in a laminated stock and now factory ammo shoots well under an inch. That Browning stainless stalker carbon fluted 270 wsm I bought from you, sure does shoot darts......thanks again!!
Old 10-04-2017, 06:09 PM   #6
jeffpg
Ten Point

Hunt In: All of USA & Africa

I have several of these in various chamberings and although they can be inherently finicky compared to a heavier rifle most are shooters and some are downright tack drivers. They do require a sight change of shooting mechanics.

If you feel like all the variables mentioned above are properly addressed, try another load or try a barrel deresonator. I've seen these work wonders.
jeffpg is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2017, 07:39 PM   #7
ltsheets
Eight Point

Did you ever have to rebarrel to get it to shoot or were you always able to find a load they shot well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpg View Post
I have several of these in various chamberings and although they can be inherently finicky compared to a heavier rifle most are shooters and some are downright tack drivers. They do require a sight change of shooting mechanics.

If you feel like all the variables mentioned above are properly addressed, try another load or try a barrel deresonator. I've seen these work wonders.
Old 10-04-2017, 07:54 PM   #8
DuramaxDude
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tom Green Co., Motley Co., Oldham Co., and any other place I get a chance to.

If you have checked all screws on the scope rings mounts and bases also check all screws on the stock and stock movement. You may try cleaning the barrel really good as well as a barrel deresenator. You may also try bedding the rifle as well. I bed all mine regardless.
DuramaxDude is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2017, 08:16 PM   #9
tanto
Ten Point

Hunt In: Paducah, Rocksprings

Had similar issues last year with a 700 ss. Had to DEEP clean the barrel, solved my problems

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tanto is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2017, 08:25 PM   #10
Slick8
Pope & Young

Hunt In: In the woods

If you've checked all the above mentioned mechanical concerns you'll have to try a variety of ammo. Those rifles are very finicky at best and will be limited to what they like.

Fine tuned hand loads are going to be your best best. Get some quality brass and premium bullets then stuff some H4350 or 1000 in there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
Slick8 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2017, 08:25 PM   #11
Kenner97
Ten Point

Hunt In: Atascosa, Wilson, Karnes County

Had problems with my Remington 270 recently. Determined it was the scope or at least I'm pretty sure after mounting another scope and shooting good.
Sending in my vortex viper to get looked at.
Kenner97 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2017, 09:06 PM   #12
trophy8
Pope & Young

$500 for the hunk of crap with the impending warranty claim sitting on top of it
trophy8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2017, 09:24 PM   #13
jeffpg
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltsheets View Post
Did you ever have to rebarrel to get it to shoot or were you always able to find a load they shot well?
I haven't swapped the barrel on one yet, but to be honest I have a couple that I haven't even fired, and one that I've shot one or two different loads without getting what I want out of it accuracy wise. Just got distracted and never found the time to go back to it. I love hunting with them but I probably love collecting them almost as much.

My favorite is a well used old 270 that I bought online from the Cabela's in Grand Junction, Colorado a few years ago. It loves the Hornady Superformance 140 grain SST ammo and I've killed countless deer with it.

Good luck with it brother, and if you ever tire of fighting it let me know.
Old 10-04-2017, 09:26 PM   #14
oneisnone
Ten Point

I have a 300 win mag barrel you can have if you’re not set on having an ‘06, its off a Remington 700 ADL, sporter/lightweight profile. Where are you located?
oneisnone is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-04-2017, 11:23 PM   #15
ltsheets
Eight Point

Haven't given it a total copper removal yet. Maybe I'll try that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanto View Post
Had similar issues last year with a 700 ss. Had to DEEP clean the barrel, solved my problems

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-04-2017, 11:26 PM   #16
ltsheets
Eight Point

Will do man but being that it's the only rem TI I own as I just sold my other one, I'd build off it before selling it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpg View Post
I haven't swapped the barrel on one yet, but to be honest I have a couple that I haven't even fired, and one that I've shot one or two different loads without getting what I want out of it accuracy wise. Just got distracted and never found the time to go back to it. I love hunting with them but I probably love collecting them almost as much.

My favorite is a well used old 270 that I bought online from the Cabela's in Grand Junction, Colorado a few years ago. It loves the Hornady Superformance 140 grain SST ammo and I've killed countless deer with it.

Good luck with it brother, and if you ever tire of fighting it let me know.
Old 10-05-2017, 12:36 AM   #17
Old Bald Guy
Ten Point

Pillar bed the action and float the barrel. Problem solved 99% of the time.
Old Bald Guy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2017, 12:47 AM   #18
zr2chevy22
Ten Point

Hunt In: Diboll, TX

ltsheets where are you located?
zr2chevy22 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2017, 05:41 AM   #19
jeffpg
Ten Point

Quote:
Haven't given it a total copper removal yet. Maybe I'll try that.
This could very well do it.
Old 10-05-2017, 09:40 AM   #20
SabreKiller
Ten Point

Hunt In: Terrell and Val Verde County

I have a 700 Ti in 7mm RSAUM and it was a picky son of a gun to find the right load. I tried 140 Nosler BT, Sierra Game Kings, Hornady SST, Speer Grand Slam, blah blah blah. I finally worked up a load with 140 gr. Barnes TTSX, max load of IMR 4350, Rem 9-1/2 primer and it is a sub moa shooter. But, it fouls pretty quick.

I would clean the snot out of the barrel and then remove as much copper fouling as you can. I use Barnes CR-10 with good success.
SabreKiller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2017, 09:59 AM   #21
ltsheets
Eight Point

Clovis NM but spend time in Amarillo, Lubbock, and Big Spring fairly regularly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zr2chevy22 View Post
ltsheets where are you located?
Old 10-05-2017, 10:01 AM   #22
ltsheets
Eight Point

I'm pretty sure I cleaned it already before testing loads but it wasn't as deep a clean as it coulda been. I've got some solvent i'll use and try to get it down to bare metal. I'm pretty sure the barrel is completely floated now so hopefully stock pressure is no longer the issue.
Old 10-05-2017, 10:09 AM   #23
canny
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Houston & Zavalla

Where are you resting the forend on the sand bags? Sand bags need to be underneath the recoil lug to keep from putting any undue pressure on the barrel. Even a free floated stock could flex to contact the barrel if the sand bags are too far forward. You may know this but thats all I've got off that hasn't been mentioned yet.
canny is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2017, 10:59 AM   #24
ltsheets
Eight Point

Yup. I had the front bag in the recoil lug area. That old B&C stock is a flexy mother so I floated it plenty and then had the bag towards the center of the rifle for that exact reason. Even if I find a load that shoots as is, that stock's days are numbered b/c I'd be a little nervous using a bipod on it. Plus the sling stud up front is off center!

Quote:
Originally Posted by canny View Post
Where are you resting the forend on the sand bags? Sand bags need to be underneath the recoil lug to keep from putting any undue pressure on the barrel. Even a free floated stock could flex to contact the barrel if the sand bags are too far forward. You may know this but thats all I've got off that hasn't been mentioned yet.
Old 10-05-2017, 11:12 AM   #25
canny
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Houston & Zavalla

Quote:
Yup. I had the front bag in the recoil lug area. That old B&C stock is a flexy mother so I floated it plenty and then had the bag towards the center of the rifle for that exact reason. Even if I find a load that shoots as is, that stock's days are numbered b/c I'd be a little nervous using a bipod on it. Plus the sling stud up front is off center!
I have a rifle that was like that. Ended up cutting some old carbon arrows and using a dremmel tool to route out a channel in the bottom of the forend. I epoxied the arrows in that channel from the tip all the way to the recoil lug, then glassbedded the recoil lug allowing the material to overlap the carbon arrows as well. Now the foreend is rock solid and stiff, doesnt matter if its off sandbags or bipod there is no POI shift.
canny is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2017, 12:51 PM   #26
ltsheets
Eight Point

^^^That's pretty **** smart!
Old 10-05-2017, 01:26 PM   #27
GarGuy
Pope & Young

Yall have covered most of the issues and its likely coppered up in the grooves. One last thing on 700s... sometimes they have too much head space.. I have seen them shoot drastically better with long seated bullets. Just a thought.
GarGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-05-2017, 01:34 PM   #28
ltsheets
Eight Point

The couple hand loads I tried with 178eldx were .01 off the lands. still 2" groups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarGuy View Post
Yall have covered most of the issues and its likely coppered up in the grooves. One last thing on 700s... sometimes they have too much head space.. I have seen them shoot drastically better with long seated bullets. Just a thought.
Old 11-10-2018, 10:44 PM   #29
no1hogkiller
Ten Point

Hunt In: TPWD and Premont Tx.

Lots of good stuff IT. Not all barrels are good. Had a Remington 721 its was worse than yours. Changed scope, check mounts etc... even bed the action. After all that got group down to maybe 2 1/2". Re-barreled it with a used barrel. Same group.
Then had a Douglas 6.5 blank installed and chambered to 6.5-06. First two right next to each other and the third off to upper left. Have to check chamber neck ID might be tight.
bTw have a Savage 308 that couldn't hold a group. Had the muzzle re-crowned. Much better. Shoots better with 180 grain.
Lastly you could consider having the action "Trued". That's a few big bucks.
no1hogkiller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-11-2018, 06:14 PM   #30
JakeGraves
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bronte, TX

I’m betting the bolt face is out of square or there are loose screws somewhere.
JakeGraves is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-11-2018, 06:34 PM   #31
Walker
Ten Point

Not all rifles or barrels benefit from free floating. Try putting a pressure button about 1.5 inches from the end of the stock.
Walker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top