Nooner!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nooner!

The larger deer have been around feeders well before daylight, so I decided to sneak into their living room during the middle of the day. This was Sunday morning, I heard the deer eating corn at 5am, and by the time it started to get light, nothing! I decided right then that my tactics had to change.
    Back at camp, I had a quick breakfast, and packed a lunch for the long sit ahead. I was going to be in the stand before noon, and planned on staying till dark. The place I was going, I call it “Sleepy Hollow”, is not easy to get to. It’s about a 30 minute hike over some very rough terrain. Sleepy Hollow is under a huge canopy cover, with lots of very old trees and a fresh water spring right through the middle. It’s pretty amazing during the day, but not the place you want to be at night.
    Well, I get into the Gametamer, about 15 feet up a twisted oak tree and settle in for the long day ahead. I decided to let out a few breading grunts, and rattle the horns, just a little, don’t want to scare anything away. Fifteen minutes later this guy shows up, walks right in front of the video camera and stands there in the water getting a drink. I passed on him last week, but decided if I saw him again I was going to shoot. At this point everything goes into slow motion. Deer standing at 25 yards, quartering away, motionless, video running, is this really happening? All of a sudden I realize the bow is in my hand at full draw and my brain is saying “aim, aim, aim”. “Swoosh”, arrow is gone, “Crack”, should blade, “Spash”, deer does his acrobats high in the air and lands in the water, and bolts. I see him running for a few seconds, and the instant he’s out of sight, I hear the crash in the leaves….”he’s down!!”.
    Well, it’s not even 12:30, I haven’t even opened up my “fun size” snicker bar, and the hunt is over.
    Details:
    16+ inches wide
    21” main beams
    5” bases
    G2s are over 10”
    Not a monster, but one of my best
    Mathews Z7, 28” 70#, Easton Flatlines, Slicktrick 100gr magnums, Nocternal

Click image for larger version

Name:	deer2012ASmll.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	355.0 KB
ID:	24936877
    Last edited by GregO; 11-26-2012, 10:34 AM.

congrats!!

Comment

Awesome! Sometimes a change in tactics works out!

Comment

congrats!

Comment

Awesome deer. Congratulations.

Comment

Man that is awesome!

Comment

Awesome deer congrats

Comment

Great write up man..congrats

Comment

Good tactics congrats

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Great deer!

Comment

Congrats on a nice buck!
                        At first I thought it was going to be a thread about Sammy Nooner's place.

Comment

Now that's what I call a plan coming together! Great buck and great tactics to get him!

Comment

Very nice, congrats.

Comment

Awesome Buck!!! Congrats!

Comment

Working...
                              X