Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Draw weight

Here's the deal.

I draw about 60, I think Buff and Chunky are at about 70. Don't even be fooled into thinking that we NEED that much weight. The legal requirement is 40. Don't hurt yourself. I've been shooting traditional for several years as has Buff and Chunky. We've developed the conditioning for these weights.

Here's a simple test, and its more pronounced for a compound shooter because of the let off, but, if you can not draw the bow back to anchor SMOOTHLY you ARE over bowed. When I say smoothly, I'm talking about the draw being a natural action. I've drawn to anchor with a deer looking at me and she didn't even flinch; smmmoooooth. If you have to "pump it up", you're over bowed. I was reading where a guy got busted 3 time trying to get drawn from INSIDE A POPUP. Tells me he's overbowed. Too many unnecessary motions to get the bow drawn. Now, maybe I'm wrong and some kids have been out chunking rocks at the deer every chance they get and has them all skittish and all. But, if you have to contort ANY muscle or muscle group to make anchor you need to drop a few pounds.

Shoulder injuries are NOT fun. Neither are neck injuries. I got my shoulder injury by catching a 200 pound missile that was falling off a jet. Something I couldn't help. You CAN prevent torquing your shoulder and neck out of health just by not trying to play heman. The strength will come and THEN you'll be able to graduate to heavier draws. Give it time. Its the responsible thing to do. Walking around nursing a strained neck or shoulder is not macho.

Thumper preaches the extreme of starting with 25#. To some extent I agree, but I believe that if you've been shooting a compound at 60 - 70 you can responsibly start with 40 - 45.

We need more responsible bowhunters. Taking care of your body is step one.

AMEN!

I went from a 60lb compound to a 48lb recurve. I love it, but those first few months were hard on the shoulders, back and fingers. Never would have thought my fingers could hurt so much...

The traditional guys on here are full of good advice and have tons of experience and I appreciate all the help...

Comment

Losthawg is right of course. I agree completely. I have taken animals with bows from 40 to 80 lbs.

Buff and I shoot heavy weights, but it is because we are flawed. You can call it target panic, or poor release or whatever. I have a hard time letting go of the string at lower weights sometimes.

I started with a 50 lb bow after shooting every day with an 80 lb compound. I didn't start shooting 70 until several years and bows later. So unless you are planning on cape, rhino, elephant or some other such beast....you don't need that weight.

Comment

I agree whole-heartedly and will add one thing to the discussion. When hunting, and I can't think of too many setups where this DOESN'T happen, you may find yourself trying to draw at weird angles or crouched in a funny manner or whatever...the scenarios are endless. That extra weight (and I mean extra in the sense that you can't control it...this is different for everyone) at such times is detrimental to hitting anchor and making a clean shot. I try and practice weird, off-hand shots...not JUST standing nice and comfortable slightly open stance facing the target. However, in order to be consistent and practice these shots, you must be able to get to your anchor. I preached this even with compounds. I had gone back down to the low 60's and shot a SMOOTH cam because I was much more concerned with being able to ease back into full draw without any sudden movements. With my trad bows, I shoot my mid to high 40's ALOT and would probably actually hunt with one of them if a call came in today. I can really concentrate on picking a spot and hitting my anchor point when I am not fighting the bow.

Good topic Losthawg, makes me want to go shoot right NOW!

Comment

I can really concentrate on picking a spot and hitting my anchor point when I am not fighting the bow.
          My point exactly. Well, one of my points...

Comment

I agree with the poundage issue. I too shoot a 70 lb. recurve but can honestly say you are well armed with a 55 lb bow with heavy arrows. Heavy bows require conditioning for most shooters. Also some men are just not as strong physically as some men. I think you should shoot as heavy a bow as you can shoot accurately! I am like Chunky, I seem to shoot my heavy bow better than my 45 lb. bowfishing rig. Just shoot what works for you and is fun to shoot! Accuracy is more important than poundage. A double lung hit with a 50lb. bow is better than a leg hit with a 80lb. anyday!

Comment

Working...
            X