Fletching Jigs: An Observation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For almost 20 years I have been using two fletching jigs; an old Cabelas branded jig (that isn't even offered any longer) and a Bitzenberger.

I like the Cabelas because it makes a complete arrow each time and it has okay adjustments. I like the Bitzenberger for the very precise adjustments and ease of use.

I have used the Arizona EZ fletchers a few times in the past mostly for field repairs and the like; but I have never owned one.

I bought one this weekend and I love this thing. I bought the carbon mini in right helical (offset). This little jig makes a great fletch every single time; getting the glue right was a little bit tricky but once you have that it is very easy to make perfect fletching. The only adjusting is for the cock feather location (indexing), but, for what it is, it is an exceptional jig.

I can't believe I've never really given this type of jig a try before now. If you are on the fence go ahead and get one; they are worth the $50.

Arizona E-Z Fletch Mini Carbon Right Helical

Please explain what you mean by "getting the glue right was a little bit tricky". I have had one for a few years but I always had a problem with getting the glue right I guess. Either too much and it oozed out the side and glued the jig to the arrow, or not enough and the glue wouldnt hold the fletching for many shots. Really frustrated the heck out of me.

Comment

You are way behind!. Seriously, they are great jigs. As far as glue I run a bead down the vane then with the tip of the glue bottle I scrape down the the length of the vane and use that glue for the next one.

Comment

I use one and on the glue I run a bead then drag a business card over the vane spreading the glue and removing excess.

Comment

I've owned a Bitzenberger since 2000, only one I've ever tried. But since I went to a drop away rest and got rid of the Whisker Biskit, don't seem to need it as much.

Comment

The Arizona mini is a marvelous tool. I use it exclusively on my customer's running 2" vanes. When the arms start getting dirty just toss them in some acetone for a couple of hours and they come out good as new. I did over 60 dozen arrows this year with one jig......finally bought another to speed up the process.

Great tool!

Comment

Originally posted by BURTONboy View Post
              Please explain what you mean by "getting the glue right was a little bit tricky". I have had one for a few years but I always had a problem with getting the glue right I guess. Either too much and it oozed out the side and glued the jig to the arrow, or not enough and the glue wouldnt hold the fletching for many shots. Really frustrated the heck out of me.
              Definitely a learning curve to getting the right amount of glue

I use the super glue gel and run a small bead right down the middle of the base. The pressure on the arms squeezes the glue out to cover the entire base. Takes some trial and error to figure out what right amount of glue is

Comment

Originally posted by BURTONboy View Post
                The right amount of glue is a bit tricky, like others have already commented. I am using steel force glue, which is super glue gel, and I use a small bead down the middle. The secret seems to be a small enough bead that you think it is too little; that means it's just right. I may also try some of the other recommendations like using a business card to spread the glue.

Once you get it down its great.

This is also the first time I used the Steel Force glue, I have always used Bohning platinum. I wanted to try the gold tip glue but Bass Pro didn't have any and the Steel Force is the same thing pretty much.

Comment

I will have to give it another go this summer. Thanks for the tips

Comment

Best tip I was given was to run the glue bead down the vane then take a toothpick and run perpendicular across the vanes and it will wipe the excess off. If there is still too much after you have pressed the vanes on the shaft, I simply take a few q-tips and wipe down the bases of the vanes. Make sure you rotate the q-tips as you run them down the shaft and it will make them look professionally done. I usually lock the jig for 3-4 mins depending on temp and humidity. Great jig though!

Comment

Thin bead down the vane base, spread it with a toothpick, stick it on the shaft.

Comment

Working...
                      X