Question for you utility trailer builders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for you utility trailer builders

I am in the middle of converting an old boat trailer to a teardrop camper. The trailer came with 13" wheels and I am going up to bigger tires and wheels. I am going to be using some 14 x 5 smoothie with 4" of back space. With the axle on my trailer I would have to add wheel spacers and going to change hubs anyways. Instead of doing that I have decided to just change the axle and I am trying to figure out the correct length I need. The trailer is 57.25 wide outside to outside with 4" backspace on the wheels. If I done my math correctly I would need a 73" axle from hub to hub. Am I figuring the length correctly? Also going to use a 2000lb axle as the trailer when completed should way around 1000 lbs giving me some room for other stuff to be hauled camping in the trailer.

Originally posted by Horn chaser View Post
    I am in the middle of converting an old boat trailer to a teardrop camper. The trailer came with 13" wheels and I am going up to bigger tires and wheels. I am going to be using some 14 x 5 smoothie with 4" of back space. With the axle on my trailer I would have to add wheel spacers and going to change hubs anyways. Instead of doing that I have decided to just change the axle and I am trying to figure out the correct length I need. The trailer is 57.25 wide outside to outside with 4" backspace on the wheels. If I done my math correctly I would need a 73" axle from hub to hub. Am I figuring the length correctly? Also going to use a 2000lb axle as the trailer when completed should way around 1000 lbs giving me some room for other stuff to be hauled camping in the trailer.
    Here you go - 73" should be good.

https://www.adelaidetrailershop.com/...alculator.html
    Last edited by Ohio Darin; 05-17-2018, 11:21 AM.

Comment

Post some pics of your build. Sounds interesting.

Comment

I did this on my kayak trailer, upgraded the axle, wheels and tires. I ordered my axle from Eastern Marine and tires from ETrailer. Worked out well!

Comment

Originally posted by Ohio Darin View Post
          Thanks the only calculator I could find I had to transfer to metric and back. Since I have done any conversions in 25 years I don't trust my math.

Originally posted by Honker View Post
          Post some pics of your build. Sounds interesting.
          Will do. I am done with trailer frame now other than changing out the axle and wheels. I shortened the tongue and welded up holes. Added a couple cross supports for the floor and painted it John Deere green. When I get started on the box I will start a diy thread so anyone interested can follow along.

Comment

I got the new axle and hubs put on today. I will say this never order anything from Southwest Wheel out of Dallas. They screwed up the order sending two different hubs for the axle and the customer service there just flat out sucks. Got the run around and after the fifth call finally got ahold of a guy that promised to ship out the correct hub the next day by FedEx. That was 8 days ago and still hasn't arrived yet. Anyways I gave up and went to J&I Manufacturing in Madill, Ok and got the correct hub for $13 bucks. I should have just gone there first.

Also for the ones wanting to see pics of the build here are the pics of what I started with and where I am currently at in the build. I am about to get the plywood and start building the camper cabin. I will start a new thread to follow along when I have something more done on it. As of right now I just do a little here and a little there when I get time on it.
            Attached Files

Comment

Use Leggot Trailers in Waco, TX

Originally posted by Horn chaser View Post
              I got the new axle and hubs put on today. I will say this never order anything from Southwest Wheel out of Dallas. They screwed up the order sending two different hubs for the axle and the customer service there just flat out sucks. Got the run around and after the fifth call finally got ahold of a guy that promised to ship out the correct hub the next day by FedEx. That was 8 days ago and still hasn't arrived yet. Anyways I gave up and went to J&I Manufacturing in Madill, Ok and got the correct hub for $13 bucks. I should have just gone there first.

Also for the ones wanting to see pics of the build here are the pics of what I started with and where I am currently at in the build. I am about to get the plywood and start building the camper cabin. I will start a new thread to follow along when I have something more done on it. As of right now I just do a little here and a little there when I get time on it.
              I own 9 trailers from tandem dual gooseneck to little manure spreader trailer and Leggott has provided GREAT service for over 15 years. From staying open an hour late waiting on me to listening to problems and suggestions that entailed purchasing the right part from another business. Phone number is 254-754-5512 located on Hwy 6 bypass on East side of Waco.

Comment

hey Hornchaser......how'd this build wind up? Did you finish it?

Comment

Working...
                X