Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Knife steel question

I am a knife nut and am shopping for a different EDC pocket locker
    One is benchmade 940 with s30v steel =$170 the other is exactly same but with 440c steel = $50
    Is the s30v really that much better?? I thought 440 was good stuff

I’m a steel *****. I wouldn’t take a knife in 440C if you gave me $50 to take it. I do prefer S35VN over S30V, but I’d take 30 long before 440. Even at such a substantial price difference.

Right now M390V has been my preferred steel. I have a Benchmade 943 in 154CM, and I’m considering having a custom maker profile a new blade in 390. I’m a huge fan of the design, just don’t like 154CM. I think it would serve you well in S30V.

Comment

The biggest prob with these steels for the custom maker is that collectors tend to shy away from steels used by factory makers simply because it's confusing to figure out the diff between s90v and vg10 which is a purdy large diff on collectable knives especially on value.Don't care for 154 CM but CPM 154 is my fav overall SS. For my personal collection I prefer Cowry X or ZDP 189 tempered to 66-67HRC

Comment

I should clarify the only reason I'm not a fan of 154 CM is it is not as pure as CPM 154 (powdered metal) ATS 34 was designed for jet engine rotors, later became 154 CM and then CPM 154 - Crucible steel Particulate Metalurgy

Comment

So 440c is junk For EDC knife ? I have a al Krause custom made knife but have no clue on the steel in the blad (but it’s super hard)

Comment

S30 will be a higher end manufacturer steel. More consistently heat treated and holds a good edge. It’s worth the price for an edc. Benchmade makes some nice autos with the same stuff

Comment

Originally posted by pilar View Post
              So 440c is junk For EDC knife ? I have a al Krause custom made knife but have no clue on the steel in the blad (but it’s super hard)
              No sir 440c properly heat treated holds a great edge CPM154 holds a superior edge and CPM S35VN holds a supreme edge

Comment

Really it depends on how you use your EDC. I’m not arguing with the knife gods assessment of steels, they are correct. But if you use your EDC to pry stuff or as a screwdriver in a pinch, then buy the 440 because they will all have chipped points and crappy edges after that sort of abuse

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
                  Really it depends on how you use your EDC. I’m not arguing with the knife gods assessment of steels, they are correct. But if you use your EDC to pry stuff or as a screwdriver in a pinch, then buy the 440 because they will all have chipped points and crappy edges after that sort of abuse
                  My soon to be retired edc ( a smith & Wesson 1st run special tactical) has made it 15 years ( but are out of production) so is now being babied, my spidico broke
                  So maybe a tougher steel is in order

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
                    My soon to be retired edc ( a smith & Wesson 1st run special tactical) has made it 15 years ( but are out of production) so is now being babied, my spidico broke
                    So maybe a tougher steel is in order

Comment

Working...
                    X