When is a carbon arrow too short?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When is a carbon arrow too short?

I have some GT Trad 3555s I've been playing with. My draw is 26.5" and my longbow is 52@28". So I'm drawing about 47 to 48 lbs. I'm using 50 gr inserts and 175 gr points and they seem to bare shaft weak so I've been trimming them 1/4" at a time. At 28 3/4" they seem a tad weak but at 28 1/2" they shoot pretty stiff. My question is at what point is an arrow cut too short where it doesn't flex correctly or is there even such a thing? Thanks, Jeff

Yes and no, the spine charts we go by for carbon arrows are measured by suspending the shaft between two points 28" apart and hanging a 1.9 pound weight between them. So, the spine charts don't work with shafts shorter than 26".

For wooden arrows the weight is 2 pounds and the span is 26"

In most cases when I bare shaft tune for spine I want a slightly weak reaction because when I fletch the shaft it will "stiffen" because of the weight on the rear.

Comment

I'm the same as you on bare shafting. I'd rather them be a little weak than stiff. I just thought it was odd that 1/4" made such a huge difference!

Comment

My aluminum 400 (2117) will shoot lights out at 28.75 but at 29, you can see and hear riser slap. Surprised me what a 1/4" can do as well.

You might want o try lightening up your point weight instead of going too short.

Comment

Try 28 5/8"! That should be perfect!

Bisch

Comment

My set up is very similar to yours. I shoot GT 3555 with a 50 grain insert and a 175 as well and my draw is 45@26". My arrow length is 28 3/4 with great results.

Comment

They shot great with a standard insert and 175s at 29" but my arrows were only 470 grains and I really want them over 500. I'm trying to get them to shoot well with the 50 grain insert and 175 point so that's why I've been trimming and experimenting. The 28 1/2" and 28 3/4" bare shaft the best but 29" and 28 7/8" shoot the best fletched.

Comment

Originally posted by gatorgar View Post
                My aluminum 400 (2117) will shoot lights out at 28.75 but at 29, you can see and hear riser slap. Surprised me what a 1/4" can do as well.

You might want o try lightening up your point weight instead of going too short.
                What poundage are you shooting those 21117's with, looking at them myself

Comment

53@28 drawing 26.5 I shoot 250 up front

Comment

Working...
                  X