No announcement yet.

What caliber to buy...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have an old Rem. Pump .270. Have never needed anything else. I hunt Lampasas and Biddle, Montana with it.

Comment

22 Creedmoore

Comment

The 6.5 Creedmoor, 7mm-08 and 270 Win. are all three very good deer and hog calibers, not overkill on the recoil. I have never been a fan of he 243, they work, but your shots need to be well placed, too many inexperienced hunts don't make well placed shots, weather old or young. I like hunting with a 22-250, but it definitely requires well placed shots, but when your shots are good, both the 243 and 22-250 are very lethal. If I was give the choice between a 6.5 Creedmoor, 7mm-08 or 308, I would always choose either the Creedmoor or the 7mm-08. I have killed many deer with a 308, it works great, just was never a fan of the trajectory of the 308, at longer ranges.

Nothing wrong with having multiple rifles in the same caliber. But then on the other hand, the more different calibers you have, the more likely you will find ammo for one of your guns, when away from a area, where there are many places to buy ammo. Looking at it from that perspective the 243 and 308.

Comment

Originally posted by Wampuscat View Post
          Look at the 6.5 Grendel. It will fit your AR-15 platform and has ballistics right in line with a .308. It has plenty of knockdown power even reaching way out there. It’s a much lighter rifle to carry all day too and it’ll easily take down deer, antelope and elk.
          Except the 308 has more energy at 200 yards (and almost as much at 300) than the Grendel does at the muzzle...

Comment

The sale at Academy gets you a $25 gift card if you buy one there. I looked at them on Friday. Really thinking about getting one myself. Helluva deal.

Comment

Since it’ll be a beater / backup gun, I’d just get one in 6.5 or 7mm08 since you’ll already have the Ammo laying around. We have 2 of the compass 6.5s as ride around guns and they can’t be beat for the money.

Comment

Stolen from another thread.

Comment

Originally posted by TacticalCowboy View Post

I just saw that thread. I’m a little concerned about how the 55 grain pills will shoot out of a 1:8 twist barrel.

I really am torn. Part of me is leaning towards the 22-250 as the kids can shoot it sooner due to the light recoil (kids are still young and not ready for shooting anything bigger than a 22). However, for an all around beater rifle the 308 and 30.06 are really calling my name.

Comment

Comment

I didn’t see this thread before posting mine. Yours is similar to my question. Although I wasn’t really planning on anything other than predator control.

Comment

Ttt. Bringing up an old thread. Ended up not buying anything last year but am back in the market.

I’m really leaning towards a 223 just because I can buy ammo so much cheaper and would like a gun that is cheap to shoot for target practice.

However, I’m also thinking about getting another 6.5 cm and have one sighted in for target bullets (Hornady black) and the other sighted in for hunting bullets.

Then I go back to the idea of a 22-250 or 243 as a rifle that me and the kids can shoot and can be used as a deer rifle.

Anyone else have suggestions/thoughts?

I’m all over the place. Help me out here.

Comment

I would go 223 or 22-250, either one with a 64 grain power point will kill anything in Texas. Personally my son shoots a 223, he started when he was 7 and the recoil and muzzle blast didn't bother him. He killed 3 bucks and 7 pigs with it last year, with 2 boars being around 250 pounds. The Winchester 64 grain power point hog special is plumb nasty, I recovered 2 bullets and both expanded good and weighed over 60 grains.

Comment

6.5 grendel. Love mine, almost no recoil and plenty of knockdown power.

Comment

Last year I bought 3. 7mm-08, 6.5 creed and 22-250. By far, hands down, the 22-250 is my favorite. It shoots heavy bullets so well. Here is a photo of a group out of that 22-250. The 7mm-08 is my go to for deer and pigs.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

30 06. If you need something now with less recoil Remington makes a 50% recoil round. My son shot them until he got older. Kicked less than a 243 and shot great.

Comment

Working...
                                X