Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the closest you have come to death?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I was a child, we lived in an apartment. I was standing at the edge of the pool getting ready to dive in and slipped. Feet went in first, back of my head hit the edge of the pool. It felt like I got hit in the head by a baseball bat. I saw sky, blue water/bubbles, blood, then black. Woke up 10 minutes later in the back of my uncle's car with my head in my mom's lap speeding towards the hospital. The towel in my mom's lap was soaked red with blood. Now, I know the head bleeds like crazy. It wasn't that. My mom was laying out by the pool and noticed I was gone. Just gone. She jumped up, dove in and pulled me out of the water. I could have drowned. Thank God for MOM!!!

Another time, we lived in Hawaii. We were on the North Shore boogie boarding. The waves at this beach rose up quick and crashed suddenly. Made for some cool tubes and fun boogie boarding. I decided to try my hand at surfing. Somehow I got on TOP of the wave and as it crashed straight down, my board stuck in the sand and I kept on going. The top of my head hit the sand and I heard every vertebrae in my neck and back pop and crack. I instantly was under the wave and could not move a muscle. Everything was completely numb for a few seconds and then tingled and then I could start to move again. Thank God I didn't swallow any saltwater and start drowning. I was able to crawl up on the beach. I just collapsed on the beach and laid there until I could move again. Scary feeling knowing I could have been paralyzed and/or dead just like that.

Comment

I argued with Mary once. I’m lucky to be alive today. ��

Comment

Originally posted by rocky View Post
        I argued with Mary once. I’m lucky to be alive today. ��
        I once told a woman I wanted an apology. All I got was a piece of paper with the word APOLOGY written on it. No spoken words, NOTHING. LOL

Comment

Same time frame

Originally posted by DS_1974 View Post
          Small world. I played baseball at Sam during that time. If you were on the basketball team, I probably know you
          Crazy, I was playing Rugby at SAM the same time you guys were playing Baseball and Basketball

Comment

Originally posted by txpitdog View Post
            Oh dude, I hate it for ya! Dealt with a 9mm on one side and 11mm on the other. Don’t be a hero, once it gets to be too much go to the ER and have bless you with some Dilauddid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            I can't even imagine! I've only passed one and it was something like 3.5; and that was terrible. The scan did show some more, and one is around a 6, but I haven't passed anymore. The one was about 2 years ago. I quit drinking Cokes and taking Creatine supplement because it hurt that bad. Mine was all in my back. I didn't feel it when I finally passed it, but I was still on pain meds that the ER had given me.

Sent from a satellite in outer space using Tapatalk

Comment

Two come to mind. A high school buddy had never hunted and wanted to give it a try so I took him outside of town where I thought we could find some doves. I let him use my old single shot shotgun - I showed him how to use it and gave a quick safety/muzzle awareness lecture. We were standing right next to each other when some doves flew over. I shot but he didn't. I then heard a "click" and looked down to see the muzzle of that shotgun pointed directly at my gut from about 3 feet away. The "click" I heard? That was him letting down the hammer and it slipped off his thumb. Somehow it did not hit the primer hard enough to fire. If it had I would have been DRT. He turned white and started shaking as he handed me the gun. That was around 1973 - he is still a good friend and has not touched a firearm since that day.

I once fell asleep at the wheel while - of all places - driving across the dam of Keystone Lake in Oklahoma. I woke up in the wrong lane with a pickup bearing down on me. I swerved hard to the right and they hit right in front of my door. My car flew back across the road and thankfully bounced off the guardrail or I would have sailed off the dam. I was unconscious but apparently the door was knocked open and my upper body fell out (had on lap belt) and I drug down the road for almost 100 yards. Broken bones and lots of stitches - they sewed my left ear back to my head. Unbelievable road rash. For months after I healed I there were tiny pieces of gravel that would fester to the surface. Nobody in the other vehicle was hurt thank God.

Comment

When my brother and I were young teens dad let us drive on long road trip vacations.
                Once Mom and Dad were in the back seat sleeping, my brother is driving and I am trying to stay away in the shotgun position. My head is nodding......I am trying to stay awake without much success and suddenly SNAP AWAKE realizing I am the only person awake......and we are headed to a Dairy Queen.......at 70 miles an hour. I yell LOOK OUT and my brother wakes up in time to jerk the wheel and cut the edge of their parking lot.

On another road trip....similar deal. Late at night....almost home, we are on the DFW Turnpike, Mom and Dad are asleep in back....brother driving. I am nodding off.....wake and see a stalled car in our lane with two people behind it trying to put gas in it with a gas can. Adrenaline spike.....yell.....LOOK OUT!!! Brother cuts the wheel and just misses them. If we had hit them at 70mph I think we all would have died but they would have been cut in half.

Comment

Once, twice, a couple more times....

15 years old, almost drowned in the Ouachita River in Louisiana.

During an undercover narcotics deal and guy pulled a gun to rob us. My partner put the NOLA PD snot locker on him and I wrestled the gun away.

Chased a suspicious person and rounded the corner and we faced him. We were spread aparr (partner) and the guy could not make up his mind what to do. I was squeezing trigger when he dropped his gun. Afterwards, he said he was squeezing his trigger as well, but didn't want to die.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Stopped a guy from looting my wife’s car in the driveway a few years ago. Held him securely with my 870 until HPD showed up. The problem was about four or five cruisers showed up at once and they all began shouting different orders for what I was supposed to do with the 870 . Everyone of them had their guns drawn on me. All it would have taken was the wrong move or perceived wrong move.

Walking the AT I found myself in a NC lightning storm that was so intense and bolts striking so close, I laid down in pouring rain and made my peace.

Comment

was in a bus which lost brakes coming down the mountain from winter park. snowpacked road, after dark, missed the runaway vehicle deal. about 80mph, driver put it in the ditch snd prayed ... axles/wheels got torn off and slid to a stop before flying off a curve.

other one has to be when I had a pretty good spill on a mountain bike. went to ER, thought I may have broke some ribs. xrays negative they say your banged up and gonna be sore. that evening started feeling sick, by morning could keep nothing down, was too weak to walk.
                      went back to hospital, and very quickly the doctors got my busted spleen removed & got all the blood it had leaked cleaned up and circulating again. apparently it can take a spleen a few hours to get bleeding good, but once it does things get kinda serious

Comment

Camping at Garner State Park in the summer of 2002. Hiked up Old Baldy. Didn't take any water. Wasn't thinking about hydration.

Couple hours later back at camp, got food poisoning and started throwing up. We finally decided a trip to the ER in Uvalde was necessary when I couldn't open my mouth. I had lock jaw big time. We actually talked about breaking my front teeth out if I had to throw up again for fear of me drowning on my own vomit. Thank goodness I didn't have to.

By the time we get to the ER, I'm in so much pain that I couldn't stand up. It felt like I had one huge muscle cramp in my stomach that would not allow me to straighten up. My hands, arms, and legs were curled up in a ball.

They told me my blood pressure was 65/50 and that the blood in my veins was like sludge. So they put an IV in both arms and had nurses pushing that stuff in my veins.

I stayed awake and aware through most of it and could tell that there were 3 times during the night that they thought I was toast.

The girl who is now my wife, stayed by my bed all night long. I remember staring at her for long periods, hoping to memorize her face in case I died. So I'd recognize her when she got to heaven.

Comment

1956 I was 18 months old. I fell and hit the corner of a coffee table with my chin. Ran the 2 teeth I had thru my tongue.
                          Dr sews me up.
                          That night my mom checks on me and finds a small puddle of blood under my mouth. She could not wake me and back to the ER we go.
                          I had pulled the stitches out and was swallowing my blood. They had to replace over 50% of it.
                          1976 laid a bike down on the Sana Monica freeway as I entered. Slid across 4 lanes of traffic all I saw was headlights. Small road rash all I had.

Comment

Originally posted by wow View Post
                            1956 I was 18 months old. I fell and hit the corner of a coffee table with my chin. Ran the 2 teeth I had thru my tongue.
                            Dr sews me up.
                            That night my mom checks on me and finds a small puddle of blood under my mouth. She could not wake me and back to the ER we go.
                            I had pulled the stitches out and was swallowing my blood. They had to replace over 50% of it.
                            1976 laid a bike down on the Sana Monica freeway as I entered. Slid across 4 lanes of traffic all I saw was headlights. Small road rash all I had.
                            You never told us what happened to you after telling the wife whatever it was after the beauty appointment. At least I think that’s what it was about.

Comment

Originally posted by Worksalot View Post
                              You never told us what happened to you after telling the wife whatever it was after the beauty appointment. At least I think that’s what it was about.
                              Well as best as I can remember there was a bright light, something flashed in front of my eyes and a day or two later I woke up with a headache.
                              Decided to keep my mouth shut at least till the ringing in my ears stops.

Comment

Fell off my large Oak tree while hanging Christmas lights 5 years ago.

I landed on my back perfectly on a pile of brush. 2 feet either way and I would have been severely injured.

I have one when I was born but Ill keep it to myself. Thank you Dr. Lawrence Nickey from El Paso for saving my life and giving 49 years of enjoyment.

Comment

Working...
                                X