Flashes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flashes

I have done little research on flashes for DSLR cameras. I figured I would start here.

I have a D40, other than that I don't know what other information would be needed to pick the best one for me.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I believe in sticking with Nikon equiptment. You know that everything will be compatible.

For your D40, I would suggest the Nikon SB 600. It's a very good flash for not a lot of money,($224 at B&H). It has plenty of power, but is not so big as to physically overwhelm the camera.

The SB400 is a smaller unit, but would probably be more than adequate.(It's $110 at B&H).

The SB900 is a BIG flash, and pricy. ($470 at B&H)

Comment

I agree with Scotty, use Nikon since that's what you shoot. It will work well for you.

Comment

I bought a sigma for my Canon and it works just fine. Get the one compatible with Nikon.

Most importantly, get a diffuser of some sort. I have the Stofen-Omni Bounce as well as a Gary Fong Light sphere and a Lumiquest light box.

Comment

Originally posted by scotty View Post
          I believe in sticking with Nikon equiptment. You know that everything will be compatible.

For your D40, I would suggest the Nikon SB 600. It's a very good flash for not a lot of money,($224 at B&H). It has plenty of power, but is not so big as to physically overwhelm the camera.

The SB400 is a smaller unit, but would probably be more than adequate.(It's $110 at B&H).

The SB900 is a BIG flash, and pricy. ($470 at B&H)
          I was looking at the SB400 this morning after I posted this and thought it was more suitable for my level of photography. The only question I have is what does it mean when it says"Manual Flash" only for D40?

It doesn't appear the SB600 will work with my D40, will it?

Thanks for the info guys

Comment

The 600 will work with the D40. The D600 will work on I-TTL with the D40 when it is mounted on the hot shoe, It will NOT work off camera. You will need an Sb900, or a used Sb800 to use a flash off camera. I think they mean that the 600 will work on manual, but only on the D40, but I'm not positive on this though. It will work on auto, I'm sure of that.

Comment

I got an sb900 when I bought the camera... but I haven't used it yet
              I know... horrible...
              But I don't know too much about using a flash...
              Seems like they will all be good to use with a D40...

Comment

Hillary, the sb900 is one heck of a flash! Get it off the camera and I'm sure you'll like the results. Check out the Flickr groups for some tips.

Comment

Working...
                X