Gorillapod?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gorillapod?

Someone here has one of these. Kevin? I'm curious how well they work. I'm hoping to find something to travel with when I drag my camera on business trips.

I'm also interested in seeing what others have to say...I've looked at them before and they seem to be a handy little gadget. I'm just curious how they will hold up to the weight of something like a heavy SLR coupled with a heavy lens.

-Brandon

Comment

I see they come in different sizes at B&H. Mindy has one for her little point and shoot but it would not even come close to holding up my SLR.
      Last edited by Snakelover; 05-16-2009, 09:34 AM.

Comment

I absolutely love mine! I bought a cheeper version of one from Best Buy a couple years ago. Don't make that same mistake. Go with the best and get the Gorillapod. For the most part I use it as a mount for a video camera while hunting. However, I'm getting into this DSLR thing and have enjoyed the G.P as a small tripod. They work well. The cheeper version I got from Bet Buy broke. The GorillaPods are much better made. You need the SLR version for sure to hold up a big camera. They are not perfect, and can't completely sub for a good tripod, obviously, but as a small stand a video mount they are great. While hunting, I've wrapped them around tree stands, branches, climbing sticks, etc. Awesome little tool.

J

Jay

Comment

They work great and are very flexible/adaptable. For the larger DSLR's you definitely want to get the big one that is made specifically for the the bigger DSLR's.
          They have made the compact tripods a thing of the past.

Comment

you might look at the trophy tool. I use mine all the time in the deer blind while filming. you can clamp it on the window and get rock solid video. I have used it for my still as well. I have really liked mine. It is a must every time I go out.

Comment

I have heard great things about the tropy tool thats what I just ordered a couple of days ago.

Comment

Hey Casey I have 2 I use for remote shooting and I love them. I have the Focus model because they can hold up 11 pounds and if I want to put a larger lens on it I can. That one is $109. from their site so I would order it directly from them if you can to save around $40 but they are awesome.

You can get the SLR model for a camera and lens setup that isn't that heavy if you like. Go to their site if you already haven't. They are great though.

Comment

Hey man! Just got back from Hawaii and used the Gorilla pod SLR ZOOM exclusively for my travel tripod needs. It works pretty good, but in windy conditions or unstable positions it wobbles a bit. I havent decided yet, but I think I might sell my SLR ZOOM to a friend and get the focus model. Only drawback to the focus is its heavier. I went hiking on a pretty wicked trek with the camera, tripod, 17-55, 100 macro, and the 10-22 and it was HEAVY on the way back up the ravine. Going to try and save weight were I can.

Comment

Working...
                  X