Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 10-13-2018, 01:28 PM   #1
joel45acp
Six Point

Hunt In: Duval Co
Default Buying property for hunting/retirement

So I have a wild hair up my cone maker and I'm currently looking at some tracts in Real Co north and west of Leakey that border large low fence ranches. One is btw FM336 and 83 while the other is north of FM336W and about 8miles east of the Nueces River and FM335. Any of you land barons own and/or hunt this area? Both tracts I'm looking at have seasonal creeks with heavy cover. Both are in the mid 30ac range. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
joel45acp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2018, 01:39 PM   #2
jsctx84
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kimble County

I’m just wondering how it comes out in a cone shape
jsctx84 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2018, 01:49 PM   #3
glen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: anywhere

I will tell you this. It gets boring hunting on your own little hunting spot. You learn every deer and it becomes a point where you don’t hunt there and go elsewhere. If it is just a place to retire and build and home on then go for it if it is the area you and your wife want to live. Me I think I’m going to travel and hunt all over in a few years when I retire. I want a small place on the coast with a rock lawn. Someplace I can lick up and leave for months and not worry about grass etc. each to their own
glen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2018, 01:52 PM   #4
Low Fence
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsctx84 View Post
I’m just wondering how it comes out in a cone shape
Once you buy land in Texas it comes out In Bowling balls
Low Fence is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2018, 02:00 PM   #5
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen View Post
I will tell you this. It gets boring hunting on your own little hunting spot. You learn every deer and it becomes a point where you donít hunt there and go elsewhere. If it is just a place to retire and build and home on then go for it if it is the area you and your wife want to live. Me I think Iím going to travel and hunt all over in a few years when I retire. I want a small place on the coast with a rock lawn. Someplace I can lick up and leave for months and not worry about grass etc. each to their own
I agree with this, at least in part. I bought 217 acres an hour away from me around ten years ago. It was lots of fun (and work) getting it set up like I wanted it. Now, I'm kinda bored with it and I find myself wanting to do it better somewhere else. I learned a lot in the process and I'd like one more shot at it while I'm still on the topside of the ground.

If you do buy such a small place, study it carefully before you start changing things. Take into consideration the prevailing wind during hunting season and how you're gonna get into and out of your stands without getting busted. I think that's the biggest mistake people make.

Good luck !
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-13-2018, 02:15 PM   #6
Low Fence
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
I agree with this, at least in part. I bought 217 acres an hour away from me around ten years ago. It was lots of fun (and work) getting it set up like I wanted it. Now, I'm kinda bored with it and I find myself wanting to do it better somewhere else. I learned a lot in the process and I'd like one more shot at it while I'm still on the topside of the ground.

If you do buy such a small place, study it carefully before you start changing things. Take into consideration the prevailing wind during hunting season and how you're gonna get into and out of your stands without getting busted. I think that's the biggest mistake people make.

Good luck !
100% on all accounts. 10 years seems to be where most want to see something else (hunting wise) if itís ďhomeĒ thatís different.

And agree set up for deer.. not convenient hunting. I believe itís the reason for most failed hunts.

Also donít count on anything in that area of size to remain low fences much longer. Neighbors are probably on a waiting list, or new buyer in 2-3 years will. Just a matter of time
Low Fence is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top