X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Post up your opening morning report

Misty, foggy, cool damp morning here in Northern Smith county

Saw 9 deer and a bunch of pigs but nothing presented a shot

Was getting down at 9:45 and pigs showed up. Got bow reeled back up and got ready but they stayed out of range and behind a tree. Wind swirled just a tad and one winded me and away they went

5 of the deer I saw busted out of the wood line across the field a couple minutes after the squirrels and Jay's started raising cane. Suspect bobcat or coyote but never got any kind of visual.

Feeder didn't go off so I am about to go disc and plant food plots and check and see what the problem with feeder is

Grimes county, nothing this morning, pouring rain now

Comment

Got in the stand at 6, steady sprinkle, got down at 9:45. Saw a doe, spike & 6 point. Going back at 3:30.

Comment

No movement this am...such a dud...oh well, it was still nice kicking off another bow season!! Good luck to ya all...oh, and I’m out near Palestine!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Got 2 1/2" of rain as I was in the blind. Had to hike out in the mud

Comment

my morning report is looking at TBH at work. Will be in the stand this afternoon tho!

Comment

4 man limit of teal. Pouring rain around here, supposed to rain until tomorrow around noon. Gonna head to the lease then.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Comment

Rain made it a easy decision to stay at home and work. Maybe this afternoon but It's going to be a muddy mess and haven't decided if I want to deal with that or not. The rut is on though as it is every year opening weekend at my place.

Comment

Had a young Doe come in and that was about it, saw a few others moving in the background.

Sent from my VS425PP using Tapatalk

Comment

Rain in Victoria County kept me home today. Hopefully it lets up enough to make it out later

Comment

I got to see a few young doe and a 1-1/2 year old 6 pt this morning in Mills County. No rain yet.

Comment

Liberty county no rain in the morning. Had 3 groups of hogs come in shot a sal from the last group.

Comment

Not even a squirrel spotted in western Nacogdoches county for me, and where I was at was perfect for the eastern wind we had. Surprising, since it’s usually 400 pics a week of mostly pigs.

Comment

Only thing in Wimberly area was rain. Got in blind at 5:20 am, and heard a couple of snorts around 5:35 am, but nothing else. Out of blind at 9:45 am, and went to Cabelas to get some arrows cut. At home and thinking real serious about a nap!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

In the ground blind at 5:00 am. Sprinkled as I was hiking out, but pretty much stopped as I got in. Feeder went off at 7:00. I really like having that couple of hours in the dark. Feeder was covered up by 7:05. Mostly does with fawns, three bucks of age, and a pair of buttons. Shooting light came and I had my mark, a 6 point cull. I watched for a while having the internal doe/buck debate, but finally decided on him. As I drew, a doe walked behind him and I stayed at full draw for several minutes while she lingered. Let it fly at 24 yards once the doe moved. Slight quarter away and he attempted to jump the string. I feared I gut-shot, clearly seeing the arrow sticking out as he was ran. I heard a crash well within 50 yards, so I finished off a thermos of coffee and took my time packing up just in case. I didn't see any blood once I got over the impact spot so I walked to the treelike and spotted him motionless just a few yards in. Cleaned him up and discovered that I hit liver/lung/shoulder and snapped the broadhead off (Spitfire on a piledriver, btw). I had managed to just nick the stomach. Not a shot I'm exactly proud of, but was fortunate for a quick drop and clean recovery. Rain hit HARD just as I was pulling out of the processor. Realized once I got home that it was my first success with the vertical bow. Think I'll make an evening sit if the rain stops...

Comment

Working...
                              X