Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening to whenever. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Best Zero Turn Mower

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What’s rough estimate on Ferris cost?

Comment

Not hating on any engines, but I mow with an old Encore 52inch that has a 23hp Kawasaki. I purchased it brand new in 2004. Engine is sitting at 591 hours. I have had ZERO problems out of the engine or the mower. When and if this one ever goes down, I will make sure that my next one has the Kawasaki engine. Seems like there are many good mower choices today than there was back then. Pick a commercial grade deck and Kawasaki engine and maybe you to will get 14-15 years out of yours. I am hoping to get to 20 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Worley View Post
        Not hating on any engines, but I mow with an old Encore 52inch that has a 23hp Kawasaki. I purchased it brand new in 2004. Engine is sitting at 591 hours. I have had ZERO problems out of the engine or the mower. When and if this one ever goes down, I will make sure that my next one has the Kawasaki engine. Seems like there are many good mower choices today than there was back then. Pick a commercial grade deck and Kawasaki engine and maybe you to will get 14-15 years out of yours. I am hoping to get to 20 years.
        I bought a JD riding tractor from the dealership with a 23hp Kawasaki in 2001.

Just retired it last year for a Hustler with the same engine. Engine was still fine on the old one but they rest of it was wore smooth out.

Can't go wrong with the Kawsaki engines.

Comment

I went to my local "pro" mower shop. told him I have 2.5 acres at my house and was looking at a commercial-grade mower.

He point blank said no way he recommends a commercial mower for my 2.5 acres. Said it was pointless to spend 6-8 grand on a mower when I could drop down to the residential version and be extremely happy.

He is a Ferris dealer. I found that interesting that he would rather be honest than make a sale

Comment

I bought a commercial country cutter with the kaw. it has joystick steer instead of the two handles (you can mow with a cold one in hand LOL) I really like it !

Comment

Originally posted by cowman View Post
              Best with no budget constraints? Kubota Z300 series with the Diesel engine or a Scag Turf Tiger with Kubota Diesel.
              Yup agree with this

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
                These days focusing on Kawasaki is overrated. They all make a good one now. I have really worked the crap out of my Kubota with commercial Briggs with no issues. That said I don’t have the most level ground and a Ferris is the only change I would make if I could do it again due to the suspension
                Same for me, I'm thinking about buying a ferris for use at a couple properties with rough ground but kubota with the vanguard has been great at my house.

Comment

Originally posted by mudkat View Post
                  I bought a commercial country cutter with the kaw. it has joystick steer instead of the two handles (you can mow with a cold one in hand LOL) I really like it !
                  Did you mean Country Clipper? That's what I have and have really liked it. Nice to have a free hand to stiff arm those low branches

But I do constantly hear that the Ferris suspension has the smoothest ride by far.

Comment

I had a few ferris's with a side business I had they ride well but way too many parts with the suspension. Then you have the ability to get said parts Ferris is not as popular as they used to be . we had issue with linkage and the arms wearing bushing out things like that

We switched over the Hustler. I sold off the side deal but kept one kawi 27 hp engine 60 inch deck hd version ..

HUGE difference from commercial vs lowes or Home depot versions . the lower cost units will work but they are not using the same quality of parts . kawi's get much better gas usage than the Brigs we had the Brigs big blocks in the ferris fuel hogs .

But back to your usage , for most it will never matter when you have 9 mowers running it now matters Hustler with Kawi and a ferris with Briggs.. The Briggs will be out of fuel long before the kawi . Just the way that went .

No such thing as the best . We had Hustlers, Ferris and Kabota , its like asking for the best truck ..

we had a Z300 its a monster for sure but super heavy it got stuck often ha ha .. But you have only 3 acres to mow most will get the job done .. pick your poison and buy it .

Myself would look for a light used mower from a company that is selling them off or CL deal .. Buying new is costly for sure . you could save a few thousand for sure .

Comment

Scag

Comment

Originally posted by Catchem11 View Post
                        Kubota with the diesel never looked back
                        Agree, I have a ZD 326 60" that's one bad dude....I got it bc almost every commercial mowing service around Houston has these on their trailers. I have a landscaper who does some of my work when not busy and he said he's tried just about all of them and these are what he runs now and won't change. However, they are not cheap....$12K

Ranchdog

Comment

I used Bad Boys when i had my lawn service. Simple reason was the parts where local and they are super easy to work on. you can get to anything on the machine in minutes.

I didn't by a Scag simply because they are much harder to work on in comparison.

If you do buy a bad boy or hustler or whatever. Buy the commercial grade machines. I can tell you the bad boy at TSC vs. and Outlaw or something you would buy from a an actual dealer is a whole different machine. The Hyd output on the pumps is double.

Comment

read the other 1400 threads about zero turn mowers on here lol that being said look in to bobcat mowers. best warranty and get a lot of mower for your buck. Ex: I would have had to bump up two levels in a hustler to get what I got with my bobcat. All of em cut grass just get what you like in your budget

Comment

What kind of money are you looking to spend? if money is not a issue then I would go with a grasshopper mower.

Comment

Originally posted by sharkhunter View Post
                                Bad boy
                                This.

Comment

Working...
                                X