Project Management

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nursejenn View Post
    I am a mother... every day is project management!
    lol well played, ma'am!

Comment

Yes...for my properties and property management. I wish I had done better and learned more from my Ag Systems Management class at TAMU. Working fulltime, 7 As and 1 D made me feel better about sucking at that class that semester. Id have less lag time...but I do pretty good for learning trial by fire.

Why do you ask Hopedale?

Comment

Do you mean Adult baby sitting? Yeah....

Comment

Originally posted by TXHUNT3R View Post
          lol well played, ma'am!
          Well it was lack of planning that got her in that job in the first place [emoji33]

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

Wow, this lit up.

Had a question about project charters, specifically as it relates to IT PMs.

I've never seen one.

I'm currently taking some online training for project management, and was just curious how often do you follow the processes being laid out.

Text book vs reality.
            Last edited by hopedale; 09-05-2018, 04:30 PM.

Comment

I’m a PM for a web dev company.

Comment

Originally posted by hopedale View Post
                Wow, this this light up.

I've never seen one.

I'm currently taking some online training for project management, and was just curious how often do you follow the processes being laid out.

Text book vs reality.
                Document document document... I’ve yet to have a project follow a charter or statement of work, it seems you always encounter unknowns. Change orders to cover for that for change of timeline and costs.

This is my downfall. I hate documenting stuff, just want to get it done, but it bites me in the butt.

Comment

Originally posted by BigThicketBoy View Post
                  Do tell.
                  I'm a Pipefittter/Forman
                  That builds small and large refineries,[emoji16]

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
                  We are a small outfit in New Waverly, north of Houston. We have grown by leaps and bounds over the last year. As much as we need good pipe fitters and welders, we outsource that part of the business to a company out of California. PM me your email address (for resume) and I'd be more than happy to pass it on, but i can't promise anything as i do not have a relationship with the Welding contractor at all.

Comment

Yep... I've been with Site Tech for just over a year now. I'm a Project Manager/ Estimator/ and Juggler Multi-tasker Extraordinaire

Last edited by Pineywoods; 09-05-2018, 05:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hopedale View Post
                      Wow, this lit up.

I've never seen one.

Text book vs reality.
                      Personally Ive zero IT PM experience. My charters for me are the end goal...I make my own processes to accomplish that goal.

Id imagine for IT PM much of the process is the goal...which various processes maybe different for different clients even though the end goal is the very similar. Id think in your line of PM you need to be able to follow textbook/project charters processes to a T but be able to forsee and resolve process roadblocks before/as they occur...without being excessively deviant. I reckon its a moving target from job to job...some clear ...some murky.

I may be way off. Good luck with the training.

God bless!

Comment

I'm a project manager for a paving trade subcontractor in the Houston area, which is no help at all to the OP.

But, as it seems that every other swinging **** is a PM for a commercial GC, I thought I would throw that out there.

Comment

Senior PM at Hewlett Packard Enterprise.

Comment

Originally posted by nursejenn View Post
                            I am a mother... every day is project management!
                            I don't have a clue what you're paid, but you earn every red cent of it !

Comment

I am an IT PM...what exactly are you looking for? A template can be a starting point but can also be adjusted to meet your/company needs.

Things I would ALWAYS include are Scope, Risks, Constraints, Assumptions, Timeline (although this should be grey if using Agile), Process for addressing scope changes, Budget, Key team members and their role as well as who is Accountable for sign offs (Sponsors/Executive etc).

Comment

I have my PMP certification and rarely do i need to use the tools provided by the Project Management Institute in everyday work. We do use charters but for Oil & gas work.

Comment

Working...
                                X