Selfbows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dry Bones View Post
    Sad to say I have had my share of Elm fire wood after failed bows. Just can't get it figured out quite yet. I made a few for my son, his current is elm and only draws about 15'ish pounds. Once I start trying to make any real weight they come apart.
    I have trouble making the light ones. I'm serious, I've made oak, hickory, lemonwood, and Osage. With exception to Osage, all light bows I've made have blown to pieces. 50-70# no problem. Oh well, they always say, if you ain't breakin, you ain't makin!

Comment

Thanks Ben! There are some good looking bows in this thread. Sure is nice to see so many that enjoy making their own!

I was lucky last year and was gifted a Winged Elm stave from Bluegoose who had cut/split some on his property in ETx. I recently carved out a nice pyramid design that shoots really well. The mass weight of the bow is more than Osage, and the limbs had to be wider/thicker to achieve 46# of DW at 28", but the bow shoots really well!

Comment

That is a fine looking bow Corey!

Rob, I agree, I didn't realize how many folks are making their own bows. It is pretty awesome.

I'll come clean with my motivation for the thread. I've been getting this itch to build a bow. I've read up on it and watched videos in the past, but I didn't have enough motivation at the time to pursue it beyond just idle curiosity. Well the itch got so bad that I couldn't really take it any longer and I went to home depot and picked up a red oak board (1 out of 50) and started on a board bow. Spent a couple hours on Saturday and Sunday roughing it out. Last night, I built my tillering tree. I don't have very high expectations for my first bow since I am doing this somewhat blind... but I am hoping to one day be able to build a nice selfbow out of a stave with osage, etc.

Would be cool to make my little girl her first wooden bow, my son a bow he can chase rabbits with, etc.

Comment

Brother im gonna be honest...if you want a good chance of making a useable bow first time out....it would be better to find a nice osage stave and go at it...it is waaaay more forgiving than redoak...you can make a decent bow that has a better potential with osage...if ya need a stave ...might be able to help ya out....it might be quicker with a plank but you wont learn near as much for when you tackle bow #2 and believe me ...there will be a #2...lol

Comment

Originally posted by 4dog View Post
            Brother im gonna be honest...if you want a good chance of making a useable bow first time out....it would be better to find a nice osage stave and go at it...it is waaaay more forgiving than redoak...you can make a decent bow that has a better potential with osage...if ya need a stave ...might be able to help ya out....it might be quicker with a plank but you wont learn near as much for when you tackle bow #2 and believe me ...there will be a #2...lol
            I understand. The build is really just for grins. The reason I hadn't built one already after reading Sam's build well over 3 years ago was because I figured it would break and why bother with all that when I could buy a decent bow for the same price in tools.

What is different now is that I know it will most likely break, but I want to do it anyways. I'm kinda tired of just reading about making bows. Might sound crazy, but I reached a point where I was willing to run to the hardware store on a mission to fail.

But at least I am getting something out of it. I've enjoyed working with the wood. Shaping it into something that at least resembles a bow. I thought I might get frustrated with scraping so much instead of using a bandsaw... but I found it strangely rewarding. I built a tillering tree last night. That won't be a complete waste for the next times.

Comment

I understand...its addictive and if you get a shooter first time out....your gonna be hooked . To what extant ...let us know...good luck !!

Comment

Cool, i've always wanted to make my own bow. What kind of tools do you really need?

Comment

Originally posted by GamePlanner View Post
                  Cool, i've always wanted to make my own bow. What kind of tools do you really need?
                  Single bevel drawknife, farriers rasp, scraper, and various files. I don't use any power tools. But that's me.

Comment

Im with pigthumper...no fancy stuff..just sweat and pain !!

Comment

I agree on the tools list. There are a few other things like a clear ruler, sand paper from 60 grit to at least 320. Two of my favorite tools are my Nicholson 49 & 50 rasps. Also....learning how to properly setup your cabinet scraper(s) is a big help.

Clay Hayes has three great first time bowyer videos on YT, and you can learn a lot about forms, tillering, and bandsaw use from Gary Davis' video "Rattlestick".

Comment

You can also read the Traditional Boyers Bible. Clay Hayes is very informative. Also check out primitive archer. Com. Osage orange or " Bodark" is by far the best. They always say pacific yew but I don't believe it. Osage is a hard *** wood but it is more forgiving. Beginners are best suited to hickory so I'm told. I haven't used it. Bow making is more addictive than anything. Prepare for something to consume your thoughts all day every day. Best advice- go slow.

Comment

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
                            Looking Good!!!!
                            I am not discouraged that my first 3 attempts failing. I will build a good one eventually lol

Comment

Guys your bows look great. If you want more success get you some good Osage. That's about all I use anymore. It's forging and tough as it comes. You could have a lot of guys disagree with me though. That's my opinion. But what's that worth.lol. Arvin

Comment

No argument yella wood is KING!!

Comment

Working...
                                X