Hunt-N-Shoot: Advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hunt-N-Shoot: Advice?

We've got a group headed to Hunt-N-Shoot in Chester this weekend and I know several on here have hunted there before. Does anybody care to share any advice to help us have an enjoyable and successful trip?

Try a back corner.

Comment

OK Kid, on a stand, or stalking?

Comment

Start in a stand. I within an hour after the feeder has gone off you haven't got your hog go spot and stalk.
        Last edited by Oklahoma Kid; 03-31-2008, 04:21 PM.

Comment

Anybody else?

Comment

ditto

Comment

Lay down on the floor of the stand until you hear the hogs milling around, eating the corn. Then slowly peek up over the front from a far corner (back left of the stand if you are right handed), using the side cover or front corner post of the stand to help hide your head to get a look at them. You don't need to see them, you'll hear them coming. If you do it right, you can stay hidden in the corner and come to full draw when it looks like the one you want is going to be apart from the others. Then lean or peek out from your half hidden position, center up the sights on the hog and release.

The bigger hogs will eyeball the stand before coming in. If they see you or any part of you, they'll turn around and leave. Sitting still won't help, they have great eyesight and can pick you out in an instant. They don't get stupid until they are head down into the corn.

Agree that the stands furthest back are better, but the wind needs to be right whichever stand you pick. The hogs circulate from one stand to the other when they go off. If there is corn on the ground, they'll be by shortly, unless they've spotted you.
              Last edited by ghenghis; 04-02-2008, 01:06 AM.

Comment

Wow, ghenghis, that's pretty detailed!

Comment

Listen and do what Howie tells you to do.

Comment

Ok i will give my input, for starters be well camoed and go scent free! it is very important although a high fence they are wild hogs get on stand everybody stay at least 1 hr on stand before getting down. not sure what times feeders go off but ask Brian. after the hour everybody split up make sure you have some binoculars or monoculars!!! very important i cant tell you how many times there have been 80 hogs in the area to have people come out and say there are no hogs only to have me and Brian have them multiple shots within 10 minutes of going in. once out of the stand check every brush pile and down tree top and i mean look cluse they dig themself a wallow and bury them selves you will pattern them pretty quickly after about the first couple hours when doing this i like to set people up along trials and have pushers, they always go to the same spots there is a waterhole with high grass check it out real good. when the hogs run from you do not chase them if you chase them you will have a very long tired day let the hogs go you will find another group to stalk on. it is a great place to hunt alot of fun can be very challenging if you run the hogs dont run them. also have 2 way radios an ear bud is great that way yall can know where they are at. the back #4 and #5 are great producers if you havent ran them to hard in the evening they will come to the feeders Brian does a great job of loading the place up with hogs. if you follow these tips you should have no problem at all. if you have a hard time getting on hogs weston a high school kid is an awesome kid have spent lots of time with him guiding and roaming in there he will helpyou out and brian an awesome guide they will be more than happy to get you on some hogs! good luck and have a great hunt

Comment

i reapeat Dont chase them! you will be one tired person the end of the day if you do i seen this to often theyd run the hogs so hard people gave out before the hogs then they wondered why they are not coming to the feeders. hogs are smart and after the first hour or two of being shsed shot at they will dang sure not coopertate also do not wear big knee high scent free water boots no need wear a comfortable pair of tennis shooes or boots cant tell you how many times i guided and the hunter was making so much noise from his knee high scent free boots they will hear you coming over 100 yards off when they do if you have spooked them they will run off before you even get there. if the hogs group up you will see up to 50 or more hogs grouped up you have got to get that group busted up if you dont it will be a long day stalking cause you have 50 sets of eyes watching you nearly impossible to get a good close bowshot like that use trees when possible only move when there head and ears are down if there ears are 7up you wont get close. more than likely everyone should get a shot oppurtunity off the feeders it all depends on the group if you go out late at night to do a night hunt dont expect the hogs to hit the feeders ive done lots of guided night hunts out there alot of fun and very rewarding but it never dails when you do this they dont hit the feeders

Comment

Thanks, Howie - that should be a huge help! Do you still guide out there?

Comment

havent since january can still if needed to ive just put myself on time out for awhile. trying to sort a few things out. it is a great place lots of fun

Comment

I was at Hunt-n-shoot a couple of months ago. What I described worked for me....twice, after I was busted sitting in the stand by a couple of the larger hogs.

good luck!

Comment

Well, we're back and we had a blast! Howie, we got a little anxious and chased 'em, and our bodies paid for it!!! Thanks to all for the tips, and we look forward to going back soon. I posted the results of our hunt in the Hunting Reports section: http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...ad.php?t=37206

Comment

Working...
                              X