Good luck! Keep us updated!

Comment

Good luck whirlwind..I'm ready

Comment

Thanks guys. Heading out in 4 hours

Comment

Recap a little later as I am beat!

Comment

Here is a quick over view shot of close to where I was hunting.

Comment

Won't be hunting, but we are heading up to Henry's Lake on 9/25 to fly fish the area. I might have to try to hunt up there next year.

Comment

Ok quick recap of the weekend trip. Went kinda blind into a area the wife had gone into and only seen buck deer. Yesterday on the opener right at first light I catch a herd of 9 elk about 300 yards away v lining it for the timber. They saw me and I ducked down. Quick look and I see a pretty good 6x6 heading over the ridge into the timber. I tell the wife we need to hit the ridge that they just went over. We head over there and find sign everywhere but no elk. I mKe my way down the ridge and spot a big spike bull about 100 yards away. I hit the dirt and he never sees us. I make a plan to try and work my way around down to his location through the trees. As I make my way low and behold he is moving up the trail right at me. At 40 yards I see him but no shot. He winds me as the wind was swirling all over the place and he heads down to the bottom. I make my way back up to Aimee and she spots 2 elk feeding on the opposite hillside about 1,000+ yards away. I ask her if she wants to make a run at them and she says yes. We bail off the ridge and descend about 7,000 feet in elevation. On the way down elk sign all over and one trail looked as though a D8 cat had plowed through there with all elk traffic I saw. We jump a elk on the way down but never got a good look. We make it to the bottom and I see that they are 2 bulls one big 6 point and a rag horn 4 point. I decide we need to get up on the other side and try to cut them off. So we do and just like I. Thought they worked right into the spot to about 80 yards. No shot and a dang doe snorts and scares them out of the country. We hike back up and then spot 2 more elk in the opposite canyon but I wasn't even going to try to walk back down unless I had shot something at that point. Didn't see much last night except for 2 elk about 2 miles away on the other side of the canyon. Saturdays total was 17 elk with 5 being bulls. Also saw 7 deer with 5 being bucks and one monster that is pushing 30" wide.

We regrouped for today but opted not to push back into where the elk had been staying as they seem to be jumpy still and with better hunting coming up soon we just glassed. On our way out we ran into a bachelor group of 5 bucks so I decided to put a stalk on the biggest which was a 5x2 still in velvet. Got within about 40 yards but could only see his head until they winded me and blew out of there. We then headed down the road heading out and jumped another group of deer with a giant 170+ class 4 point. Had him broadside at 70 yards and I felt the conditions were ideal for the situation but as I drew back I had a glare from the sun and I couldn't see well so I readjusted and put my 60 yard pin where I thought would be the spot but ended up hitting right under him. He wasn't spooked so I found my arrow which had no blood and I backed out.

All in all in was a fantastic weekend and my new tent held up awesome in the nasty weather we had. Hoping to make it happen in the coming weeks but if not come to find out this unit is open for general deer season so those bruisers better make sure I don't get them during archery season as I will get them during rifle season. Sorry for the long read but I will keep this going as I know you all enjoy this stuff and others are wanting to try hunting up here too.

Comment

Just got photos from a friend of the bull he took this weekend here in Idaho.

Comment

Phenomenal elk!!!

Where in Idaho do you live?

Comment

I live in southern Idaho Twin Falls to be exact.

Comment

Whirlwind ....if I have time I'll have to see about meeting up..I'll be in Paul...I think...

Comment

Awsome bull!!!

Comment

Originally posted by CARLOCK View Post
                                Whirlwind ....if I have time I'll have to see about meeting up..I'll be in Paul...I think...

If I remember right Paul isn't that far away. I got a spot or two also more off you to check out.

Comment

Working...
                                X