Carpenter help - baseboards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carpenter help - baseboards

I have a somewhat simple question, but I’m not sure as to the proper technique.

I’m installing all new baseboards in my house. The boards I bought are 14’ long. But I have a few wall lengths that exceed 14’. What is the proper way to tackle said walls?

Im thinking I can butt two boards together but you will see a very obvious and imperfect joint. Does anyone have any tips or tricks?

I am also Considering mitering both pieces with complimentary angles and lapping them in a sense..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

90 degree cut will help them be less obvious. Nothing helps hide the joints better than caulk and new paint.

Comment

Originally posted by bsills View Post
      90 degree cut will help them be less obvious. Nothing helps hide the joints better than caulk and new paint.
      This is what we did when I worked as a trim carpenter in college.

Cut joints as tight as possible.

Measure 2x cut 1x.

Comment

Caulk is your friend.

Cut the joints at an angle like you mentioned. Plan the joint to be located in a less obvious location, like behind a piece of furniture.

Comment

Mitering the joining ends is the proper way to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by bowfishin fool View Post
            I have a somewhat simple question, but I’m not sure as to the proper technique.

I’m installing all new baseboards in my house. The boards I bought are 14’ long. But I have a few wall lengths that exceed 14’. What is the proper way to tackle said walls?

Im thinking I can butt two boards together but you will see a very obvious and imperfect joint. Does anyone have any tips or tricks?

I am also Considering mitering both pieces with complimentary angles and lapping them in a sense..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            I'm not a carpenter, but I've seen it done in a few high dollar homes. It seems that when the joints are mitered at complimentary angles, like you mentioned, that the joints are tighter than a 90 degree cut, maybe it's just an illusion, just seems tighter. Make the overlapping board point toward the closer corner. That will make it less visible also. Then caulking to cover any other visible joints.

Comment

Originally posted by Texastaxi View Post
              Mitering the joining ends is the proper way to do it.
              Yep.

We replaced ours last spring. Wife came home with some fancy stuff thats like 6" tall. I cut them at 45s at the joints. IMO a quality saw helps and will need less caulk

Comment

A professional painter will make either joint practically disappeared.

Comment

45 degree cuts on both ends.

Just remember, "pookie and paint make a carpenter what he ain't!"

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post

I trimmed houses in my early days. 45° cuts is the way to do it.

Comment

Scarf Joint, cut a 45, youtube is your friend if you need help.

Comment

as others have said mitter the butt joints so even if it shrinks you will not see a clear gap. One other thing I do which I am sure a real carpenter would not have to is I make my fist cut a little long then test fit and trim till its as tight as possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post

45 degree is the proper way .. caulk and putty are your buddy

Comment

This thread had used the most eloquent language I've ever heard used for construction talk. Basically just miter joint the ends of the trim pieces using 45 degree angles then caulk it or putty if it's stain grade

Comment

I always do a 22.5 degree miter. That way the joint is still “overlapped” yet less likely to push past each other when board swells or shrinks in length through normal cycles. Not as critical with mdf baseboard as real wood but all wood shrinks and swells some

Comment

Working...
                              X