What Size Generator To Buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm going to try and buy a new generator today in prep for this year storm season as well as powering my camper at the deer lease.

The camper is a 29 foot bumper pull 2008 Wildwood bunkhouse. I will need to power a refrigerator and two freezers and maybe a window unit AC if we were to have power knocked out for significant amount of time. What size generator would be able to power all of the above?

I'm hoping not to spend more than $500.

You can get a 5000w for around that price

Comment

Get as big as you can afford. One can never go too big on a generator...

Comment

Anyone have opinions on which brands to buy or not to buy?

Comment

Originally posted by WCB View Post
          Get as big as you can afford. One can never go too big on a generator...

This is what I was going to say

Generac would be my choice in that price range.

Low oil light is a must.

Comment

Originally posted by TallTexan View Post
            This is what I was going to say

Generac would be my choice in that price range.

Low oil light is a must.

Good to know

Comment

We have used the ones from harbor freight with great luck. I've got the 3500 watt predator. I paid $299 for it. I have been using it for 4yrs at the deerlease now and this year will be 5. I go every weekend and run it about 40 hrs a week. It last for 12-15 hrs on 1 tank.

Comment

They have a 5500 watt one for $399.00 I think

Comment

Originally posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post
                  They have a 5500 watt one for $399.00 I think

This is the one I was looking at

Comment

Originally posted by brunner View Post
                    This is the one I was looking at

The nice thing about the 3500 is its small enough for me to load in and out of my truck alone. I run my cabin with it. TV, window a/c, ceiling fan and lights, porch lights, during the winter I have an electric space heater I run. I'm pushing it to the max but it does the job! Lol.

Comment

A 5k watt will run a fridge and 2 freezers if you plug them in one at a time, but not an AC too. When we have power knocked out for storms,I usually run the fridge full time and the freezers every 5 hours for 2 hour durations. A 5k watt should handle your camper just fine.

Comment

You can get a champion 3500 running watts from tractor supply for $329.00 and when on sale $299.99. They are great generators and hold up well. I run my trailer at the lease with one and its great. They have great reviews too.

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
                          A 5k watt will run a fridge and 2 freezers if you plug them in one at a time, but not an AC too. When we have power knocked out for storms,I usually run the fridge full time and the freezers every 5 hours for 2 hour durations. A 5k watt should handle your camper just fine.

thx!

Comment

Let me know if ya find any good deals in the area. I've been putting it off and need to get one for the same uses.

Comment

Originally posted by OleTomTalker View Post
                              Let me know if ya find any good deals in the area. I've been putting it off and need to get one for the same uses.

Will do Greg!

Comment

Working...
                              X