New Leupold Mark 8?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Leupold Mark 8?

What do y'all think about the new Mark 8 offerings from Leupold, with the H59 and Tremor 3 reticles, as a serious long range hunting and shooting scope? I can get my best pricing deals on Leupold, putting these scopes in the same range as some Schmidt & Bender PMII scopes, Kahles 624i and Vortex Razors. I have a Vortex AMG on order from our own Arrowsmith but it's a 1 year wait on it. So, I'm looking for something to use this year on a new rifle I'm having built.

I've never used a Christmas tree type of reticle before but I'm trying to push my LR shooting out further and I'm going to try to do a little PRS style shooting. I figure learning to hit movers might come in handy for hunting and one of these reticles is supposed to help. Also, they can help with ranging targets if your rangefinder won't work. If I don't like it, scopes with these reticles are easier to sell; so I ought to be able to offload it and get a more simplified reticle.

Questions:

1. What do you think about the new Leupold Mark 8 I linked to? Would you buy one for 40% off?

2. What do you think about hunting with these Christmas tree type reticles?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think they're pretty cool, a little busy but I've heard once you learn and get used to the "Christmas tree" it's fast to get on target.
    Can't go wrong with any leopold. They're a great company.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umkEy0Womk0&sns=em

Comment

I've been shooting Leupolds for a long time and I really like them but the msrp on this new one is a little crazy; even though I can get a great discount. One of my concerns is whether I can get my money back out if I don't like it, since the pricing puts it up there with Swarovski, Schmidt & Bender, Kahles, Nightforce etc. In fact, it's more expensive than most of those.

I was hoping someone on here may have played with one and be able to say whether it's amazing or just like the others except more expensive.

Comment

I hate most of those restocked but the tremor 3 is nice. I would recommend the mk6 over the 8 for the price due to weight and size. You can get the t3 in them as well. Glass is great. Get the C2 turrets. I would go S&B or Kahles before I went mk8

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
          I hate most of those restocked but the tremor 3 is nice. I would recommend the mk6 over the 8 for the price due to weight and size. You can get the t3 in them as well. Glass is great. Get the C2 turrets. I would go S&B or Kahles before I went mk8

Especially if he can get 40% off the 6.

Comment

Inflated MSRP for that reason lol

Comment

Inflated MSRP for that reason lol
              A lot of retail products have a 100% markup. Same reason you can buy 1 get 3 free ties at Jos A Bank

Comment

I'm thinking I'll prolly go with a S&B or a Kahles just because of the ease of resale, if I don't like the tactical reticle. I was considering a Vortex Razor but they're crazy heavy. The Mark 6 doesn't have as much magnification as I'd like and to get the illuminated T3 I'd pay about $300 more than I would for any of the Kahles PMII 5-25 models with illuminated reticles and about the same as a S&B. I LOVE the clarity of my Leupold scopes but it sure seems like the Kahles & S&B scopes offer more value when you get into the tactical scopes. I've never looked through either but from what I've been reading, it seems like they're pretty awesome glass as well. Kahles is owned by Swarovski so I'm assuming their glass is similar? How's the Leupold glass compare to those brands, in your opinion?

I wish that Leopold would get off the useless "BDC" type reticles, which are all but useless IMO. If they offered basic mil or moa subtended reticles instead, they'd be offering universally usable scopes. But they have bought into their own hype.

Comment

Originally posted by boh347 View Post
                  I think they're pretty cool, a little busy but I've heard once you learn and get used to the "Christmas tree" it's fast to get on target.
                  Can't go wrong with any leopold. They're a great company.
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umkEy0Womk0&sns=em

The Tubb DTR reticle scopes are ONLY available directly from David Tubb and can't be found discounted anywhere. His prices are pretty top dollar.

Comment

New Leupold Mark 8?

Originally posted by Horitexan View Post
                    The Tubb DTR reticle scopes are ONLY available directly from David Tubb and can't be found discounted anywhere. His prices are pretty top dollar.

I just like a reticle I can work windage with. I'm like you. I can't stand the BDC stuff.
                    I like these. Work some windage and do some ranging.

Last edited by JW; 03-22-2017, 10:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gatorgrizz27 View Post
                      A lot of retail products have a 100% markup. Same reason you can buy 1 get 3 free ties at Jos A Bank
                      That's not what I'm talking about. Lots of companies offer pro deals for certain industry professionals. Vortex does it a lot. 40-50% off MSRP. So they inflate MSRP. It's way over what they sell for in retail. Go compare their MSRP to street price and you'll see what I mean. Yes the pro deal is a good deal but not as good as you'd think for that reason.

Comment

I'm thinking I'll prolly go with a S&B or a Kahles just because of the ease of resale, if I don't like the tactical reticle. I was considering a Vortex Razor but they're crazy heavy. The Mark 6 doesn't have as much magnification as I'd like and to get the illuminated T3 I'd pay about $300 more than I would for any of the Kahles PMII 5-25 models with illuminated reticles and about the same as a S&B. I LOVE the clarity of my Leupold scopes but it sure seems like the Kahles & S&B scopes offer more value when you get into the tactical scopes. I've never looked through either but from what I've been reading, it seems like they're pretty awesome glass as well. Kahles is owned by Swarovski so I'm assuming their glass is similar? How's the Leupold glass compare to those brands, in your opinion?

I wish that Leopold would get off the useless "BDC" type reticles, which are all but useless IMO. If they offered basic mil or moa subtended reticles instead, they'd be offering universally usable scopes. But they have bought into their own hype.

Leupold has multiple moa and mil reticles. They do Horus as well. Where are you seeing that they don't? TMOA, TS29x1,ts31x1,TMR,T3,h59,and a few others. Even their wind plex is moa wind holds. They offer plenty of good reticles. But I would say Kahles and S&B beat leupold on the upper end scopes for sure. The mk6 is appealing for a long range hunting rig. Light but still bulletproof. Great turrets with an actual zero stop and great glass. You can find them used for $1500-1800 and sometimes higher for certain reticle options. FFP too. Illumination is stupid expensive in them. Why power do you want over 18? I used to think the same till I shot with top end glass. You see so much better that 18x is plenty. The Kahles and S&B PMII are top notch. Just heavy. If you're building a heavy target gun then that's what I'd do. If not, then go mk6. Mk8 is heavy a bulky too. Another one to look at is the nightforce ATACR F1. Bit cheaper than Kahles and really nice. My only gripe about the gen II razor is the weight. Stupid heavy. If they cut the weight in half it would be perfect. My 7 with my mk6 is off to the gun day spa for some load tweaking haha but when I get it back you're welcome to take it for a test drive.

Comment

I'm with Matt, I've had numerous scopes mostly mid-range and up to 24x but after running a 3-18 VX6 I don't see the need to spend more money for what I do. If I were into extreme long range or competition then perhaps so.

I was seriously considering the new VX6HD 6-24 but at $1800 I just don't see enough bang for my buck over the original 3-18 VX6.

JMO-But I have two and they more then suit my needs. I too am not a fan of the very busy BDC reticles. I like the TMOA and Windplex just fine and the NP1 from NF is about as user friendly as it gets.

Comment

New Leupold Mark 8?

Originally posted by Ragin' View Post
                            I just like a reticle I can work windage with. I'm like you. I can't stand the BDC stuff.
                            I like these. Work some windage and do some ranging.

What reticle is that?

Yeah, what I'm talking about is the like the "varmint hunter reticle" or like the Nikon "BDC" reticles that they designed around some arbitrary load for one caliber and is utterly useless unless you're shooting the exact caliber with the same bullet at the same velocity.

Leupold has multiple moa and mil reticles. They do Horus as well. Where are you seeing that they don't? TMOA, TS29x1,ts31x1,TMR,T3,h59,and a few others. Even their wind plex is moa wind holds. They offer plenty of good reticles. But I would say Kahles and S&B beat leupold on the upper end scopes for sure. The mk6 is appealing for a long range hunting rig. Light but still bulletproof. Great turrets with an actual zero stop and great glass. You can find them used for $1500-1800 and sometimes higher for certain reticle options. FFP too. Illumination is stupid expensive in them. Why power do you want over 18? I used to think the same till I shot with top end glass. You see so much better that 18x is plenty. The Kahles and S&B PMII are top notch. Just heavy. If you're building a heavy target gun then that's what I'd do. If not, then go mk6. Mk8 is heavy a bulky too. Another one to look at is the nightforce ATACR F1. Bit cheaper than Kahles and really nice. My only gripe about the gen II razor is the weight. Stupid heavy. If they cut the weight in half it would be perfect. My 7 with my mk6 is off to the gun day spa for some load tweaking haha but when I get it back you're welcome to take it for a test drive.

Yes, they offer them in their tactical line but they only offer a few in the hunting line like the VX6. At least they didn't and they didn't offer an illuminated version which I prefer for hog hunting and predator hunting. The VX6 line has incredible glass and isn't a crazy heavy. My gripe has been that they offered these bs BDC type reticles in their TOP end scopes instead of offering a properly subtended reticle, whether that be moa or milrad. However, I just clicked on the "New for 2017" tab on the Leupold site and I see they have a illuminated TMOA reticle and a "Impact 23MOA Reticle" that looks pretty interesting! Just wish they had a milrad version. I may consider that one now - it'd sure be cheaper! I do love that power range although it's surely a 2nd focal plane scope and I was thinking about going to a FFP.

I've got a couple of older Nightforce NXS 3.5-15x56 scopes with NP-R1 reticles and I do like them but the glass isn't near as nice as my Leupolds. Plus, they're heavy. I hear the ATACR weighs a ton.

I've grown to like higher magnification scopes. Especially as my eyes have gotten older. Lol. I don't necessarily need the magnification to shoot (although it sure is pretty nice) but I have lots of opportunity to glass deer and really study them through a 24x lens. Sometimes I don't feel like dragging a spotting scope out and I may be watching a road with binos and a rifle. That way, I can still shoot an unlucky coyote that wanders out into the road within range. Plus, if I AM glassing with a spotting scope and a coyote comes out at 500 it's a lot easier, for me, to see and try a shot. You and Slick8 obviously have better vision than I do! Lol!

Originally posted by Slick8 View Post
                            I'm with Matt, I've had numerous scopes mostly mid-range and up to 24x but after running a 3-18 VX6 I don't see the need to spend more money for what I do. If I were into extreme long range or competition then perhaps so.

I was seriously considering the new VX6HD 6-24 but at $1800 I just don't see enough bang for my buck over the original 3-18 VX6.

JMO-But I have two and they more then suit my needs. I too am not a fan of the very busy BDC reticles. I like the TMOA and Windplex just fine and the NP1 from NF is about as user friendly as it gets.

Too bad I've got these VX6 with the illuminated varmint hunter reticles- looks like I may be selling them! Lol

Comment

What reticle is that?

Yeah, what I'm talking about is the like the "varmint hunter reticle" or like the Nikon "BDC" reticles that they designed around some arbitrary load for one caliber and is utterly useless unless you're shooting the exact caliber with the same bullet at the same velocity.

Yes, they offer them in their tactical line but they only offer a few in the hunting line like the VX6. At least they didn't and they didn't offer an illuminated version which I prefer for hog hunting and predator hunting. The VX6 line has incredible glass and isn't a crazy heavy. My gripe has been that they offered these bs BDC type reticles in their TOP end scopes instead of offering a properly subtended reticle, whether that be moa or milrad. However, I just clicked on the "New for 2017" tab on the Leupold site and I see they have a illuminated TMOA reticle and a "Impact 23MOA Reticle" that looks pretty interesting! Just wish they had a milrad version. I may consider that one now - it'd sure be cheaper! I do love that power range although it's surely a 2nd focal plane scope and I was thinking about going to a FFP.

I've got a couple of older Nightforce NXS 3.5-15x56 scopes with NP-R1 reticles and I do like them but the glass isn't near as nice as my Leupolds. Plus, they're heavy. I hear the ATACR weighs a ton.

I've grown to like higher magnification scopes. Especially as my eyes have gotten older. Lol. I don't necessarily need the magnification to shoot (although it sure is pretty nice) but I have lots of opportunity to glass deer and really study them through a 24x lens. Sometimes I don't feel like dragging a spotting scope out and I may be watching a road with binos and a rifle. That way, I can still shoot an unlucky coyote that wanders out into the road within range. Plus, if I AM glassing with a spotting scope and a coyote comes out at 500 it's a lot easier, for me, to see and try a shot. You and Slick8 obviously have better vision than I do! Lol!

Too bad I've got these VX6 with the illuminated varmint hunter reticles- looks like I may be selling them! Lol

That's in that new Steiner TX5i. That's what I'm going to get.

Comment

Working...
                              X