What to spray on my reclaimed fields

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
    Mowing the weeds before they form seed heads earlier in the spring will help get the grasses growing too if they are choking out the grass. If you nuke them with seed heads you will still have the same problem next year. It may take several cycles of killing them to get them under control til the grasses take over.
    Yea, kind of decided now to mow when I can this summer and fall and hit the weeds hard in the spring.

Thanks.

Comment

I would recommend talking to your local TPWD biologist. He can tell you what weeds are good for game and birds. Lotsa stuff look like junk to us may be good for the game. I know I got some education when I put my place on the MLDP program. That is what we pay them for, take advantage of your tax dollars. My 2 cents. Good luck!

Comment

If your primary focus on the ranch is deer then I would get with a biologist and find out what is growing before I started trying to get rid of it. Deer utilize fobs (weeds) as a major part of their diet. One of the big ones they utilize is rag weed. You wouldn’t want to kill off great natural feed for your deer.
        If your primary focus is cattle then I can understand spraying it and promoting the grass for grazing.

Comment

Grazeon P + D. (Latigo) I run a cattle operation in North TX and we spray about 2000 acres a year with this. It takes care of the weeds and any small locust trees that may be around. The only disadvantage is that it will kill out clover and vetch.

Comment

I'd use a mixture of RoundUp UltraMax and some type of 2-4 D (we use Outlaw and it for sure mixes well, note not all broadleaf killers mix well with RoundUp). We always add a buffering agent help the mixing and aid in reducing drifting.

Comment

Working...
            X