Age?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doc,
    Send me the gps location of the stand he frequents so I can judge him in person next October.

Comment

I would say at least 5.5 then and now he is closer to 6. Look at that gut and the hams, got some good skin at the brisket. Just because he isn't aggressive, doesn't make him young. Some deer are, some aren't. I would say he is right at his prime. Take him next year if he makes it thru the hog hunters

Comment

Not for sure his belly making me think,going on 5 1/2

Comment

OK, I guess you're through with this one.

This buck showed up on the chopper survey. From the chopper he didn't look that great to them. My brother was going to find him and hunt him if he was old enough...and not too big. My 12 hung out in the same area. We had no history of either deer, but they lived in an area where very few hunt. We call it the squiggly road. It's curvey and doesn't have areas where rifle hunters can see long distances.

I had him come in while I was hunting my 12 in mid October. He was between 70 and 100 yards. I didn't pay a lot of attention to the body because the rack was so impressive. WIDE. When I went in, I told my brother it was good he didn't spend a lot of time looking for this deer. He said "not that good?". I said, "no, way too good". Then I showed the video. Got "oh my God's" a lot. Asked, I said I thought he was 5 1/2, but no more.

That was the last, and only, time he was seen, until I found the hangout of my 12 on the Squiggly Road. Seemed Cluster (what we call him) hung in the same area. I set up my blind and he and I began a three month association. I have hours of time with him in front of me at severely close bow range. Nothing about the deer indicated any older than 5 1/2. His head, manners, and general body confirmation, even though he's long and tall, tell me he's more likely 4 1/2. When asked, since I'm the only one that has seen him other than two other long range sightings, I said I believed he was 4 1/2. We shoed the video to the other members and almost unanimously, he was considered 4 1/2. We'll treat him as a 4 1/2, with an option to change our mind depending on what he does next year. He'll probably get two years.

Comment

Hey John, Are you going South Today? If not, answer your phone...

4.5 and a TOAD... Close to 30 Inches wide (if not already 30)!!! This deer will blow your doors off fellas...

Comment

My phone didnt ring. If you want me to answer quit sending me those 10 cent messages. LOL Call like a civilized individual.

I'm going next week. Figure since I just got over that virus crud I might not want to go to the ranch and hump a couple hundred sacks of protein by myself.

Comment

Need me to go and help Doc with the protein

Comment

You just want to see this deer in person. LOL

Comment

LOL No just want to get out of town and figured you could use a young guy to help you out with the protein and i am not sayin you are old either LOL your only 32 right

Comment

Originally posted by Archery1st View Post
                      This one is a little tricky....I can see 4.5 peak rut, 5.5 post rut.

The only catch is his hind qtrs. They appear very pointed to his tail (no roundness to the ham) - I typically only see this on 7+ yr old deer.

Couple questions...

1. Do you know this deer?
                      2. When were the pic's taken?
                      3. Does he have defined caluses on his knees? Indicator of a solid 6.5+ year old deer.
                      Great assesment Bruce,i killed an 8.5 year old 8 point 3 weeks ago that had large callusses on his front legs

Comment

Working...
                      X