• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fordnandez View Post
    What ammo were you shooting?
    123 sst

Comment

My AR Grendel kicks substantially more than a 223 AR.

Put a heavier buffer tube and I bet that it will take some recoil out of it.

Comment

Grendel has almost no recoil.

Comment

Originally posted by hog_down View Post
          Put a heavier buffer tube and I bet that it will take some recoil out of it.
          So I have asked this of the gentleman that put it together for me (he has his own shop and puts together several AR's) but I would like some other opinions on the matter. When I asked him about swapping out the buffer tube to make the recoil less he stated that he would advise against it. He builds them so that when the brass ejects, it ejects within the 2 and 4 o'clock position. If I swapped out the buffer tube it might throw that off and it might cause jamming. Take all of this with a grain of salt as I do not know all the AR lingo/terminology so I might not have fully understood what he was telling me or I did not ask my question in the proper manner.

One of my friends that knows a little bit more about it than I, but he might be full of bull, actually said to get a softer buffer spring. Like I said I am open to suggestion as my Grendel has quite a bit of kick to it. When I bought it I was told that it wouldn't kick much more than a 223 and that is not the case with mine. My Grendel is pretty light but I have shot some 223 AR's that are just as light.

Comment

So I have asked this of the gentleman that put it together for me (he has his own shop and puts together several AR's) but I would like some other opinions on the matter. When I asked him about swapping out the buffer tube to make the recoil less he stated that he would advise against it. He builds them so that when the brass ejects, it ejects within the 2 and 4 o'clock position. If I swapped out the buffer tube it might throw that off and it might cause jamming. Take all of this with a grain of salt as I do not know all the AR lingo/terminology so I might not have fully understood what he was telling me or I did not ask my question in the proper manner.

One of my friends that knows a little bit more about it than I, but he might be full of bull, actually said to get a softer buffer spring. Like I said I am open to suggestion as my Grendel has quite a bit of kick to it. When I bought it I was told that it wouldn't kick much more than a 223 and that is not the case with mine. My Grendel is pretty light but I have shot some 223 AR's that are just as light.

If as you state your gun has significantly more recoil than a 223, your gun could well be overgassed and the bolt carrier group is slamming to the rear harder than it should. Mine was overgassed pretty bad so I installed an adjustable gas block rather than tinkering with the buffer system.

I closed mine off completely and loaded a single round in the mag and fired it. If the bolt did not hold back I opened it 1/4 turn. Once it would hold the bolt back I opened it an additional 1/4 turn and left it there. My brass ejects at almost perfectly 4:00 position and recoil is minimally more than my 5.56 rifles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

The Grendel is notorious for overgassing. ALL OF MINE have adjustable gas blocks and I would not have one without it.

Recoil was cut in half when I installed my first one. THe carrier slams into the back and the brass gets chewed up as well.

ADJ gas block and bam......smooth cycling.

Comment

Sorry, I too am learning the lingo, but I meant a heavier buffer, not tube. When I switched from a H1 buffer to a H2, that helped the recoil out. My Grendel is kinda on the heavier side. I too am having issues with my build, and will continue to fiddle with it. Mine jams and/or fails to load, and is frustrating at times.

Comment

My AR Grendel kicks substantially more than a 223 AR.
                  Mine does too. I have not started tracking down the solution but need to.

Comment

Sorry, I too am learning the lingo, but I meant a heavier buffer, not tube. When I switched from a H1 buffer to a H2, that helped the recoil out. My Grendel is kinda on the heavier side. I too am having issues with my build, and will continue to fiddle with it. Mine jams and/or fails to load, and is frustrating at times.

You would be much better off tuning the gas rather than the buffer.

Comment

ADJ gas block is the way to go.

Comment

I’ve got one adjustable gas block on one gun and now need another- what brand do y’all suggest?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Have both and suppressed 6.5grendel is nothing. But the 6.5 creedmoor isn't either. I wouldn't hesitate to let my wife shoot it.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveC View Post
                            I’ve got one adjustable gas block on one gun and now need another- what brand do y’all suggest?

I have a JP on one, and an adjustable gas tube on another, and an adjustable (2 position) BCG on my .223.

I like all of them

Comment

The engineers at dead air can buy anything they want, and they buy the one from superlative arms I believe. I’m going to try it soon.

Comment

The one on my Grendel is from Syrac Ordnance but it looks like they are no more.

I prefer the detent over the set screw for adjustments.

Comment

Working...
                                X