Overweight Kids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Overweight Kids

My 10 year old (soon to be 11) stepdaughter is over weight. We know it, pretty sure she knows it. Her dad was overweight at one point, so I’m sure there are some genetics playing a role. However, she eats and eats and eats, will stash food in her room and hide it, and we pretty much stopped buying the Little Debbie type stuff and ice cream because she will clean house on it when we aren’t around or looking. As bad as it sounds, I ended up putting a chain and a pad lock on our pantry.

How do you tell a child that they have got to change their eating habits because they are overweight and will continue to gain weight if they don’t change? How do you say this without making them feel self conscious and keep from being scarred?

I know a lot will say it starts with us parents.

My wife cooks most nights. Usually some meat and veggies and generally always mashed potatoes. I wouldn’t say we are healthy eaters, but we arent junk food eaters. I’d say country cooking is the type of food we eat.

She will fill her plate twice and sometimes wants more and we feel compelled to tell her no, she’s had enough. She will eat just plain bread or tortillas if she can get her hands on them.

If we force her to eat certain things and certain amounts, she’s smart enough to know what we are saying without us having to say it. It is to the point where we just need to get blunt with it and have a talk.

How do you handle something like this? We don’t want to break her heart, but at the same time, as parents, we are looking out for her well being.

I may be way off here but how's her social life? Is she active? I know some people eat to fill a void in life or out of boredom

Comment

Originally posted by ColinR View Post
      I may be way off here but how's her social life? Is she active? I know some people eat to fill a void in life or out of boredom
      Speaking from a kid that was always overweight, heck I still am. Being active was a huge part of me not becoming one of those people on TLC My 600lb life.

Pick a hobby or a few to consume my time and boom, food intake was cut in half. I would say at her age, it should be fairly easy to get away from being way overweight by just being active. Whether it be team sports or even as simple as yard work or playing fetch with the dog. Maybe incorporate some family time at a local park or anything along those lines?

Take my advice with a grain of salt, as I'm not a parent. Just speaking from my own personal experience

Comment

Originally posted by ColinR View Post
        Ya know, this is something I brought up to my wife.

Growing up, I played multiple sports from 5 years old through high school, had tons of friends, sleepovers almost every weekend, and just flat out had a great child hood with lots of action.

My wife on the other hand, they weren’t really into all that, not near as social as me or my family.

My stepdaughter has no extracurricular activities and really only has one friend that comes over some besides her cousin who is the same age. She will sometimes ride her bike or jump on the trampoline, but other than that, has no interest. I’ve tried on multiple accounts to get her into hunting/fishing or just the outdoors in general and she has absolutely ZERO desire for it.

I guess what made me bring this up is she came home today crying because other girls were talking about her being fat and she overheard them.

Comment

food is as much of a drug as things that are illegal. It plays havoc on the chemicals and the hormones in your body and if there isn't balance, it leads to health problems like obesity, diabetes, etc.
          Her body is telling her that she needs certain foods, because her body craves it. Not because she really wants it.

I would suggest doing the change as a family. Say that you and your wife are doing a change of lifestyle when it comes to food and that she's going to go along with to support you and your wife. Make her feel like she's helping y'all and not the reason it's being done.

I've found that eliminating the thing that i like to indulge in, ie food, women, booze, etc, that i don't get in near as much trouble. IT's really more about eliminating my self from that situation.

Best of luck. It's going to take a change in lifestyle for the whole crew to make a difference.

Comment

As a recovering fat kid, take control of the eating habits now. You and your wife are going to have to change as well. Feed her healthy foods and control the portions. No processed stuff. She'll be ****** at first but will thank you later in life. I got fat at about the same age and stayed fat until I decided to change a year ago. I wish my parents had done it when I started getting fat. I'm certainly not blaming them, it was me who shoveled the crap in my mouth, but I don't think they sought advice like you are doing and I wish they had.

Comment

Originally posted by ultralite09 View Post
              Speaking from a kid that was always overweight, heck I still am. Being active was a huge part of me not becoming one of those people on TLC My 600lb life.

Pick a hobby or a few to consume my time and boom, food intake was cut in half. I would say at her age, it should be fairly easy to get away from being way overweight by just being active. Whether it be team sports or even as simple as yard work or playing fetch with the dog. Maybe incorporate some family time at a local park or anything along those lines?

Take my advice with a grain of salt, as I'm not a parent. Just speaking from my own personal experience

I do appreciate your input. I’ve been blessed to have never had to deal with the issue until here lately at 31, married, 2 kids, and a desk job! I’ve had to make some slight personal changes myself.

Comment

Im overweight and 1 of my kids is overweight. One thing we did to cut back on the amount he ate at each meal was we cook less. There wasnt anything left to get 2nds of. Its been a struggle getting him active but I really push him. Hes not a lazy kid he just doesn't have many hobbies that are physical.

Comment

Man I hate to hear she is being teased about it at school. I have two young daughters and I’m nowhere near ready for all of the drama that comes with that age group. I don’t know what’s worse than seeing your child unhappy. Like the others have said, I feel the only way to get kickstarted on a change in eating habits is if everyone in the family does it with her. Also I’d make a point for everyone to start some daily physical activities that you can all do together. Good luck and I pray for her happiness.

Comment

Kids are freaking mean!!

I was a far kid most of my life, but not a lazy fat kid. I played multiple sports, I just liked to eat (and as I got older, drink beer). Make changes as a family with food and excercise and tell her it’s a family thing. Don’t give her an option to back out. You have to get it under control now or it won’t do any good. Get her out and active!!

Comment

I'm no expert, but have you considered family walks and bike rides? Making it a family thing instead of a "her" thing? My kids are very active in organized sports. Sit around most other times, UNLESS I am doing something with them. Drive me nuts sometimes, but it gets me moving too. Maybe change the family meals to more healthy choices?
                      Start with one a week and see how it goes and move to more healthy choices throughout the week? If you have left overs, try just cooking enough for proper portion control. Instead of fully leaded ice cream, maybe a reduced calorie version. Her snacks could be raw veggies, fruits, or nuts. Kill the bread, especially if its "white" My wife is a dietitian. Her thing is moderation. Her saying is "there are no bad foods just bad choices." While I'll eat the whole plate of cookies, she can have a bite and that's all she needs. I get the stink eye a lot in my house. What those other girls did was bull****. Love her and lead by example. Good luck as this is a tough one.

Comment

I was never over weight, but only because of sports. I wasn't the thinnest either though and it's because I had a horrible habit of eating when bored. It's as much for her psychological health as it is for her physical health. Any abuse of a substance or addictive behavior can be harmful ( except for buying too much hunting equipment, guns, etc. )

Comment

I would say, Many good positive conversations. Positive learning together. Healthy family activities, healthy family eating habits. Gonna have to do it with her. I do not think you should ask or make someone do something that you are not willing to do yourself. Just the way I was raised I think. Good luck to you. Be diligent and persistent in your efforts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

There have been several great recommendations.. Get her more active in something ( her passion is out there) , change the family eating habits, excercise together in some form, remove the junk food etc and replace with better options. But one thing not mentioned is remember y'all are the parent., your not the best friend or buddy. Don't accept I don't wanna go to the lease, I don't wanna do this, I don't wanna eat that , etc... I tell Riley all the time you better get your *** up and come on and this is what we're eating... End discussion. Once they get started they get into it.

Comment

From someone who has dealt with mental health issues and who is active in a community full of them I can tell you that taking and hiding food and unchecked eating are both signs of depression or anxiety disorders. I'm afraid that simply changing the food you havd and limiting her access isn't going to solve this issue. You might look into a mental health professional to at least evaluate the situation.

Comment

Working...
                              X