Are we gonna get stuck on the mountain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are we gonna get stuck on the mountain?

Ok, so we (me, Claire and the kids) are in Pagosa Springs. Scheduled to head back home Friday morning. Weather report is saying up to 3" of snow Thursday and Friday. And it's supposed to start showing Thursday morning and not stop until later on Friday. My question is, should we plan to head home today (Wednesday)? We just don't wanna get stuck here, or have to drive on bad roads.

No....stay and enjoy.....snow melts

Comment

I would say enjoy the snow. The road crews in that area do a good job. Just relax by a cozy fire and watch the snow fly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

After being in Wyoming for the historic blizzard last week I wouldn't even pay attention to 3" of normal snow.

Comment

Now I'm reading 4-8" accumulation Thursday, and 2-4" accumulation Friday. Does that change any of y'alls opinions?

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
            After being in Wyoming for the historic blizzard last week I wouldn't even pay attention to 3" of normal snow.
            I hear ya, but 3" is a blizzard to us.

Comment

Originally posted by Chance Love View Post
              Now I'm reading 4-8" accumulation Thursday, and 2-4" accumulation Friday. Does that change any of y'alls opinions?
              That’s nothing for them. But I also have a high competency and comfort level driving in 4-8” of snow. Do you have 4x4 or all wheel drive?

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
                That’s nothing for them. But I also have a high competency and comfort level driving in 4-8” of snow. Do you have 4x4 or all wheel drive?
                Yes, I have 4x4, but zero experience in snow.

Comment

What route do you plan on coming back?

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
                    I can handle driving in the snow too, but I couldn’t help the 18 wheeler that jackknifed on the pass the other morning we had to turn around. It’s not always about your ability.
                    Last edited by drbonner; 03-20-2019, 11:10 AM.

Comment

Depending on the direction you take there are about 3 passes to negotiate. Wolf Creek which they keep pretty well in check this time of year, La Veta pass which may or may not get plowed/treated and then of course Raton pass. Raton pass gets worked over pretty good this time of year usually.

I would just kick back and wait. Pagosa is great and the roads should be good to go after they plow/treat them. Enjoy the winter time experience with family.

Comment

Chance, we went to Glenwood Springs before Christmas and got into a bad snow storm in the valley. Almost complete white out for about 45 miles. It scared me to death, but I also don't have any experience driving in snow. The plows are awesome when you can get in behind them and follow them up the road. Tractor trailers chaining up and vehicles in the ditch everywhere. We actually left Glenwood and drove half way back early to stay in Frisco to avoid the entire trip through the valley.

Comment

You need proper tires with that 4x4 to be good.
                          I would talk with some locals and see what they are thinking will happen with this snow.
                          A pass to drive over? That is not fun for anyone with any amount of snow.
                          Does this forecast fit your area:https://www.google.org/publicalerts/...ource=wweather

Ask the locals how soon they get the roads open and passable after a storm. You might head east early and spend some time over near Trinidad or Raton area. Maybe Whittington Center has an opening this weekend?

Might be a spring type storm that melts fast and be fun to see , temps at areas to the east of you are not too cold .

Comment

Thanks everyone. Looks like we are gonna stay and see what happens.

Comment

You will be fine. Me and the family was in Red River New Mexico last week when mother nature dropped 8” first night and 4” the next.

Drove all over with no problems, except for the wind blowing snow horizontal one day...... ha

Rwc

Comment

Working...
                              X