Nilgai Hunt Insight Outdoors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nilgai Hunt Insight Outdoors?

Looking at hunting Nilgai. I’m finding there are a lot of outfitters - which is a good thing. And cost seems to start at about $1000 and go to $5000 if you want.

I don’t have any hunting buddies ready to hunt these things, so a big part of the plan includes taking along the better half/boss/wife. This only works if I dangle the carrot of South Padre Island beach - she loves beaches & would be fine without me for a day or 2. So that is where lodging will take place. Which means the closer I hunt to SPI, the better.

From what I have read online (about everything I can find), it seems like the 2 most common reasons for not taking one home are crappy weather & simply not finding them - both on 1 day hunts.

I figured I go with Kayote outfitters, but have not found them to be communicative, with no responses to emails & FB messenger. Gives me a bad feeling - if they don’t have time for me in the ‘sales’ phase, what can I expect later? I find it hard to trust ‘verbal’ only info and only call as a last resort. Plus I have read some negative comments, but really have no details.

Part of my enjoyment in a hunt is seeing lots of the game I’m pursuing. So I don’t think I’d enjoy a night hunt as much as a day hunt. Looked at JT Safaris which seems to do mostly night hunts.

King Ranch seems awesome, but is further from SPI and doesn’t appear to have a second day option if day 1 doesn’t work.

At this point I’m leaning towards Insight Outdoors with Cody Phillips. So far I can’t see a reason not to. Great communication, close to SPI (Arroyo City), price break for no lodging/meals and offers a second day for just another $150 if one day isn’t enough. Their website has more pictures of nice Nilgai than any other I’ve seen. If there is any problem with this outfitter, it might be that there is not a lot of info out there about them.

I guess this is my long winded way of asking for information anybody has on Insight Outdoors and the area they hunt. Thanks.

In for responses also. What's the pricing for Insight Outdoors?

Comment

He told me $2150 for 1 day with lunch, skinning & quartering. $150 for 2nd day - which to me seems so cheap that they are pretty dang sure it won't be needed.

Comment

I have tried contacting four different Nilgai outfitters, the only one that responded was the King Ranch and I can see why they are popular(communication). But, I am looking for archery only and for 2 other hunters.

I have hunted all over the U.S. and dealt with plenty of outfitters but these folks take the cake.

Comment

Originally posted by KX500 View Post
          He told me $2150 for 1 day with lunch, skinning & quartering. $150 for 2nd day
          That's for a bull?

Comment

Bull, yes.

And yes it is amazing how many outfitters are so bad at communication!

Comment

Shoot them in the neck and be quick on the sticks they are very skiddish and can run for miles. Good luck on the hunt. They are one of my most favorite animals to hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by KX500 View Post
                Bull, yes.

And yes it is amazing how many outfitters are so bad at communication!
                Been the death of a lot outfitters' and taxidermists' business. I usually will pizz off the non cummunicator ones after a while. Call them from a different phone number

Comment

Tagged. Want to do this in a year or two (or now)

Comment

Sam is the real deal been doing it forever and is a great hunt on the kenedy ranch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If this is the same Cody Phillips that used to be with Double Shot Outfitters, great guy with good country to hunt. He may be able to line you out with a house on the arroyo.

Mr. Sam is top notch as well.

John Todd is another down in the valley. Not sure if he does day hunts though. Wouldn’t hurt to ask.

Comment

Working...
                      X