Jeep repair question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jeep repair question

I bought an 88 jeep wrangler and I'm trying to exercise some of the demons. I took off the rear main bearing to replace the seal and noticed it has a chunk missing in the right corner.

Do any of you mechanic types think that will be an issue if i put it back on as is?

Sent from my LG-H343 using Tapatalk

since its already out and apart, why not replace it?

Comment

That is a main bearing cap and it is line bored to the block. NO other cap will be proper and could cause major engine damage if replace with another. I see nothing major wrong with that cap. That broken piece is the sealing area for the oil pan gasket. A little extra silicone in the void will fix you up. That really is your only choice. good luck

By the way..... That looks like a fresh break
      Last edited by Shiner; 07-20-2016, 03:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Shiner View Post
        That is a main bearing cap and it is line bored to the block. NO other cap will be proper and could cause major engine damage if replace with another. I see nothing major wrong with that cap. That broken piece is the sealing area for the oil pan gasket. A little extra silicone in the void will fix you up. That really is your only choice. good luck

By the way..... That looks like a fresh break
        Agree. I'd be asking why main cap broke? and where did all the metal go?

Comment

As long as that piece of metal isn't in the pan or been sucked up in the motor somewhere (doubtful) you'll be fine. Just put a little more silicone in that area when you put the pan back on.

Comment

Originally posted by Shiner View Post

By the way..... That looks like a fresh break[emoji14]
            No, not a fresh one but thanks for input.

Comment

Originally posted by topshot View Post
              since its already out and apart, why not replace it?
              That would be my first choice but I've already spent my budgeted amount for this month. If it will work fine as is, I'll just put it back on.

Comment

Originally posted by hot_rod_eddie View Post
                Agree. I'd be asking why main cap broke? and where did all the metal go?
                I've found quite a few things that has me asking questions and shaking my head the more I get into this thing. It's a fun little project though.

Comment

Working...
                X