Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cape Buffalo with a longbow. Let the adventure begin!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

daaaaaaang!

Comment

Them some thick ribs!

Shiloh...Are you drawing on the 76lber yet? Also, have you considered working out simply drawing an 80# (plus) bow on both...left and right handed (to balance and develop both sides of your body)...sides to make drawing lesser weight easier? Not shooting...just repetitive drawing...going to fatigue or structured sets.

Comment

Serious Rib bone and thanks for the action shots. Pretty awesome what can be done with a bent stick.. Of sorts.

Comment

Man... anxiously waiting on this trip for you Shiloh! Good Huntin, and God Bless, Rusty

Comment

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
            Them some thick ribs!

Shiloh...Are you drawing on the 76lber yet? Also, have you considered working out simply drawing an 80# (plus) bow on both...left and right handed (to balance and develop both sides of your body)...sides to make drawing lesser weight easier? Not shooting...just repetitive drawing...going to fatigue or structured sets.
            No sir still not shooting 76, but have been working on drawing and holding with it, and also changing up and adding in some new workouts at the gym to help increase back muscle strength that hopefully will replicate holding heavy weight at full draw.
            If I had a heavier bow, just drawing and holding would definitely be of help I'm sure. I did get another riser for my 67lb limbs so I basically have two separate bows now and wont have to worry about swapping limbs back and forth. Going off Buff's insight, I'll be able to shoot my light bow, then throw in a few shots here and there with the 76lber. Now that the main tournament I had on the schedule for the year is out of the way, pretty much all of my time will be devoted to getting this thing up and going!

Originally posted by spidermonkey View Post
            Man... anxiously waiting on this trip for you Shiloh! Good Huntin, and God Bless, Rusty
            Me too sir! 87 days and counting!!

Comment

Fantastic! Im glad to hear you got that second riser.

Game on.

Comment

Easy way to simulate heavier draw-weight is to use some surgical tubing in conjunction with drawing a lighter bow. Hold one end wrapped around the grip and hold the other end with the draw hand. Just draw the string while holding the added resistance of the tubing. Draw-hold-let down; repeat to fatigue. Can use different colored bands or even double them up to get the desired resistance. Use care to secure them well.

Comment

Nice thread! Good luck on the prep and hunt!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6584.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	131.7 KB
ID:	24546318

I'm officially on the home stretch of this, sitting 47 days out from take-off. I'm still fine-tuning my setups, but about have them settled out. My light bow I'm shooting Heritage 350s with 50gr brass insert and 175gr heads with a total weight of 635gr and shooting 176fps. I did just receive a few other setups to test out on this bow, but the current setup is shooting well so it will have to really shoot good for me to change up at this point.

Name:	IMG_6588.JPG
Size:	224.5 KB
ID:	24546320

My heavy setup I'm still not 100% sure on. I've got two different setups, one being widowmaker 250s totaling 835gr and some Easton FMJ dangerous game 250s totaling 910gr, both with 300gr heads. What is crazy and I can't figure out, both setups are shooting the same speed through the chronograph (166-168fps). The only thing I can figure is the widowmaker's have pin nocks and they are really tight on my string, which may be pulling my speed down a bit. Also, they aren't 100% tuned like I'd like them to be (although close) which may take a little off as well. I did play a bit and swap heads out on the FMJ with a 375gr head and was a little star struck to see the weight of 1006gr pop up on the scale!

Name:	IMG_6589.jpg
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	24546319

On a side note, I'm still working out 4 to 5 days a week, and I've finally reached a point where it is starting to show. When I started out, my 65lb bow wore me out after a dozen or so shots. Now, I can comfortably shoot it several dozen times before it starts wearing on me. The 76lb set doesn't feel bad either, and its crazy to say but after shooting it a bit, the 65pounder feels light and I never expected to say that!!
                    Hopefully will have everything sorted out in a week or so and have my setups finalized! Can't wait to get back across the pond!

Comment

Looks like it is going to be an excellent adventure

Comment

Well any updates?

Comment

Originally posted by sweetinlow660 View Post
                          Well any updates?
                          Still chugging along with it. I did shoot in a tournament this weekend with nothing but my 65lb setup, and other than the sweltering heat, faired pretty well with it. The few shots I made on the 2 rounds through that I didn't like were just release errors which can be sorted out.

I have changed up a couple things though. First off, I've shot split finger and instinctive forever. I look at my spot, draw back, release, and by some divine intervention, my arrows seem to go where they are supposed to. With these heavier setups, I've had "control" trouble in that I can't keep super tight groups like I'm used to. So, out of the blue I thought I'd give 3under a go and it really seemed to help control issues, plus I was actually able to use the arrow as a reference and halfway aim. Since I typically won't take a shot past 20 yards on a critter, I can basically stick the end of the arrow at the bottom of the kill on an animal from 0 to 20 yards and I'm spot on. Even further out a little ways is not bad, but haven't really pressed the distance issue yet.

Secondly, I've always shot a glove. Every time I ever tried a tab, I always slapped my face with it upon release. With gloves though, the only comfortable ones I've found/use are made of thinner material. I've got to be able to feel the bowstring, and thicker gloves never worked out well for me. I figured out quick though that heavier bows do not go good with thinner gloves for me...After about 30 shots, my "shooting finger" (my third finger) feels like its about to fall completely off and shooting isn't as comfortable. So, I figured since I've swapped to 3 under, I'd try a tab again. I dug around and couldn't find one so ended up making one to try. It felt waaay better than the thicker gloves and I had no pain at all on the shot.

So, now I guess I'm a tab using, 3 under shooter. I told one of my shooting buddies the other day that I was coming out of the closet and going to be a 3 under shooter. I will say I got a lot of looks this weekend from folks who noticed I didn't have my shooting glove on or shooting split anymore!

Supposed to have a shipment of arrows come in today or tomorrow and will hopefully have my setup 100% tied down in the next few days. 37 days and counting to take off!
                          Last edited by MedicineMan7; 07-23-2018, 11:36 AM.

Comment

That's a lot of change just before a big hunt. If it works, do it. Keep us up to date.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                              That's a lot of change just before a big hunt. If it works, do it. Keep us up to date.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

That's what I said to myself too!! For some reason my hard-headed self that's usually very resistant to change has become overwhelmed with all the new arrows, points, tuning procedures, ect., ect.....These heavy bows have pulled something loose in my brain!

Comment

Went to 3-under a year or two ago after always shooting split (because I saw a Rick Welch video and he advised it). Took no time to adjust -- I mean, like one or two practice sessions. Seemed to noticeably provide smoother releases -- as it logically should, since contact with the arrow nock has been reduced by half.

On sighting down the arrow -- never hurts to remove a little mystery out of the process. Anyone that can shoot as well as you, Shiloh, will be even more deadly when you actually know where you're aiming.

Comment

Working...
                                X