Fishing in Destin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chris1911 View Post
    i catch reds and trout every year in gulf shores in the surf. last year i went during a full moon and couldnt get out as far as i like too. we planned for a waning this year so hopefully the tide will be lower. the key where we stay is getting to that second sand bar. rattle traps and mirror lures early in the morning and late in the evening. the kids catch all kinds of stuff i dont have a name for in the bay on shrimp.
    That’s what I was thinking, should be able to get them to bite on a topwater, mirror lure or soft dine at the second bar [emoji106]. I only brought the essentials

Originally posted by stinkbelly View Post
    We have done really well on the Destin Jetties. We usually catch HUGE redfish. I'm not real familiar with saltwater fish names, but I think one fish we were catching was mackerel. We also caught a bunch of other fun fish including tons of lady fish. There are barracuda around. I have seen several big sharks caught there too.

Right on. Thanks, I’ll check the jetties out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
      Cheater, you should be driving so can enjoy Louisiana. Good luck!
      Flying is the way to go. Drove to Florida last week and the traffic in the Mobile, Alabama area was STUPID SLOW.... We were stuck in it for over 3 hours.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowanta View Post
        Flying is the way to go. Drove to Florida last week and the traffic in the Mobile, Alabama area was STUPID SLOW.... We were stuck in it for over 3 hours.

Oh wow! Glad I’m missing that

Comment

Originally posted by Jamesdad07 View Post
          Oh wow! Glad I’m missing that

got to love that tunnel

Comment

Where are you flying into?

Comment

Originally posted by Bowanta View Post
              we got stuck in it last year too...............8hr drive went to 13!

Comment

Originally posted by Smithwr View Post
                got to love that tunnel
                our problem was that bridge heading out of moblie

Comment

Yeah I know all about that. That's why I leave around 2 am

Comment

Originally posted by Jamesdad07 View Post
                    That’s what I was thinking, should be able to get them to bite on a topwater, mirror lure or soft dine at the second bar [emoji106]. I only brought the essentials

Right on. Thanks, I’ll check the jetties out!

shoulda bought a cheap reel, just throw it away. i ruin one everytime i go, sand and salt murder them

Comment

Originally posted by 17ncs View Post
                      Where are you flying into?

VPS in FT Walton

Comment

If you fancy a drive of about 30 minutes over to Panama City, St. Andrews State Park (lagoon side and fishing pier) have good results. You could also fish into the bay pass off the jetty and you'll fill up on bluefish and spanish (probably).

Comment

Depending on the day, you can have a blast in the surf about the last hour of sunlight just throwing a white swim bait or using cut up squid. I have found it best when the water is a little less than the typical clarity. A little choppy is better too. All kinds of stuff will hit that swim bait and you can usually catch whiting one after another on squid, really close into shore.

As mentioned, the Jetties can be a really fun. Fish evening or early morning. Waste of time during the day. All kinds of stuff will hit top water or got-cha plugs (gold with orange head).

My kids prefer the gotcha plugs because the really big gaff-top catfish come up and hammer those. They fight unbelievably hard for their size. They're nasty so we use pliers to shake them off the hook. Also, their fins hurt about ten times more than a fresh water cat. A bad ***** can ruin an entire fishing outing.

i don't know if it's black snapper season or not, but if so it's worth catching them on live shrimp on the jetties.

Biggest piece of advice.... go to half-hitch tackle shop. They are super knowledgeable.

Comment

I had the exact opposite experience at half hitch. Fella behind the counter told me and a buddy "get a guide" when we asked what people were catching. Just trying to get a little local incite. Most definitely won't catch me in there again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

we are heading to gulf shores saturday, suppose to rain all next week, which im completely fine with. means more fishing and less *******s on the beach

Comment

Originally posted by chris1911 View Post
                                we are heading to gulf shores saturday, suppose to rain all next week, which im completely fine with. means more fishing and less *******s on the beach
                                I heard that

Comment

Working...
                                X