Deep Six FMJ: school me please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Been thinking about switching to these arrows and i have a few question.

First, im looking for a general evaluation. what do you love what and what do you hate.

Second, are there any particular hurdles with them? im specifically wondering if they will fit and hold snuggly in a standard quiver as well as the availability of broadheads. Are they something that your pretty much going to have to order and do most manufactures accommodate?

Thanks in advance for all your help

Most major broadhead companies are making a dep six version now and im sure more to come. I was really considering them as I really like the standard FMJs. Ended up going to the black eagle carnivores. They are about half the price. Standard broadheads. And according to everyone they are very tough and fly great.

Comment

What is the advantage to deep six?

Comment

Originally posted by El General View Post
        What is the advantage to deep six?
        they have a smaller shaft diameter (5mm) therefore will have less wind resistance as well as greater penetration.

will the difference be only marginally better and only be noticeable on paper? Maybe.

I cant say for sure. That's why im asking.

Comment

If you get some and want some new Rage Hypodermics in the package let me know. Bought the wrong ones online and cant send them back. Ill let them go for 25 bucks.

Comment

One advantage is at 330 spine, base shaft length is 32" which works out for a lot of people with a long DL. Coupled with a weight of about 11 gr per inch, these shafts are a bit heavier and therefore can carry a little bit more KE to the target.

The basic disadvantages as I see them are twofold. One there are a tad bit expensive and the other is shaft specific accessories like nocks, inserts, and field points for practice.

I have a very good friend whom uses them. He says they are hella' durable and great accuracy...but I think I heard a sob one time when he robin hooded one.

Comment

The US archery team was using them and so I thought I would give them a try. More penetration and with me shooting at 50 I thought it might help. I like mine.

Comment

I have some, but have not killed anything with them yet. So far, i really like them. Finding a good D6 broadhead is not a problem anymore. I am using the QAD Exodus broadheads. Hopefully I will be running one through some hogs and axis next weekend. I use a Tight Spot quiver, and have zero issues with them falling out due to the adjustibility of the quiver.

Comment

I have some nap broadheads in deep six ferrel I need to sell.

Comment

I'll be using them next year, I just didn't want to switch from my regular FMJ's this close to the season.

Comment

I'm interested in them as well, but the only thing holding me back from getting some is I'd like a heavier insert to increase my FOC

Comment

Thanks for the replies!

Comment

Just found out that if your a Slick Trick fan the magnums are the only BH offered that are D6 compatible. Kinda bummed about this because my vision of this awesome arrow was gonna be tipped with a Viper Trick.

Comment

I had a very bad experience last year with the Deep Six arrow and broad head and would not ever use them for hunting. Because the insert is down inside the arrow, the top portion of the arrow between the top of the insert and broad head is only supported by the very thin shaft of the deep six broad head. Hard impact can cause the BH to snap at the top of the deep six insert, splitting the arrow at the very top with no penetration. I speak from experience.

Obviously others have had great experiences, but not me. Use with caution.

Comment

Man, $180 for a dozen

Comment

Working...
                              X