No announcement yet.

Should I buy this lathe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes the 3 or four jaw check will cost, but it’s a one time investment and in my opinion for a beginner makes setting up much easier. You just turn a tenon and grab with the chuck. I sold my setup to a member here as it was a beginner lathe (Riki’s) and I only turned small tooth fairy containers with lids out of spalted and flamed box elder. The girls loved them. It can be expensive but very relaxing and very rewarding.

Comment

Originally posted by mmoses View Post
      im not expert on turning. But this might help you.

If the head did not swivel you would be limited to twice the distance between the spindle and the rails.

I don't know how big you can go on that unit though,
      Thank you so much for this.

Originally posted by soonerdg View Post
      You're going to need a different chuck to turn bowls. For that you'll need a 3 or 4 jaw chuck. Or you could use a base plate that screws to the bowl blank. That's a less expensive option but a little more difficult since you can put the bowl in and out of the chuck. The chuck will likely cost more than the lathe unless that lathe comes with one.

***Edit...I clicked the link and it shows the lathe with the base plate to turn bowls. So as long as the current owner still has it and sends it with the lathe you'll be good to go for bowl turning.
      Is that the thing that the manual calls a faceplate?

Comment

Went by yesterday and he does have the faceplate.

Comment

It’s $329 new at harbor freight. Seems like a good deal if you want a lathe!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
          X