Anyone Hunt Contrary Creek?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone Hunt Contrary Creek?

Im looking for a place to chase some Turkey and saw an add for Contrary Creek. Anyone ever hunted out there?

negative....I wouldnt waste my time or money

Comment

dgrimesag92--what happened? Wasnt bad a couple of years ago, I have booked a lot of hunts there for me and my friends, was kind of dissappointed last year, every year since they started the same group of guys have hunted opening weekend, myself being one of the guys, a buddy I sent there a couple of months ago tells me that his group booked the whole ranch for opening weekend for this year, I feel it was kind of crappy that John didnt call me since he knew the same group has always hunted opening weekend but I guess that is how it goes. I have always seen lots of turkey there.

Comment

Jack71.....My point, not that it's a bad a lease. My point...that's the way John is...kind of slick...doesn't know what he's doing or how to do it. I would expect John to do something like like to you. His dad is a super nice guy. They are "WAY" over priced for what they have on that lease...$140.00 per day is ridiculous for what they have and he claims no deer under 4.5???? Every pic I see on the website...I don't think there is a deer over 4.5 on there. He's an amature....college kid...all he cares about is your money.
        Last edited by dgrimesag92; 03-28-2008, 07:37 AM.

Comment

I agree, it's all about the money, I think that is John's only income, but you are right his dad is extra nice. Last year when we hunted opening weekend the feeders were not even running at 6 or 7 of the stands and none of the shooting lanes had been cleared out. I was kind of upset at him booking it opening weekend this year, I have plenty of places to hunt but I will miss not getting together with all the guys that I don't see all year. This is the only place I have ever day hunted so I really don't know about the price. Last year he had a college buddy there that was the guy that judged the age of the deer, otherwise if he did not think the deer was 4.5 years old it was a $800 fine. I liked the guy but with all the drinking and other stuff they were doing I am not sure how much confinence I would have in his ability to judge an animals age, although his judgement would probly still be better than mine. They always look bigger before you shoot them. This being said I was dissappointed last year with the shooting lanes and the feeders and him booking it opening weekend, I also was a little upset at him trying to put me and my buddies in the run down cabin with no a/c (that didn't fly too well with me or my buddies considering the amout of $ we have spent there and the amount of times we have hunted there) but I'll somehow manage to let life go on. I have hunted there alot and I guess overall I always had a real good time, didn't always see a lot or kill a lot but had a good time. Like I said this is the only day lease I have ever hunted so that being said I would probly reccommend the place. Everytime I go I always take atleast 4 or 5 buddies so I really just go to get away, and keep my buddies off my full time lease property. Thats my .02

Comment

I agree, I had a decent time there too, but I would never go back. The stands were set up all wrong...we actually helped them reset a couple and helped him with the shooting lanes and stuff.

I got a call from John tonight, he sounds like he might be a bit ticked off...I would assume it is about this thread, but I couldn't talk to him and told him we could talk later. It's not personal...it's business...I was not happy with my hunting experience there and he took exception to a deer I had shot near camp. (Long Story) Had he known his ranch, I would have found a really nice buck I shot...this buck crossed a fence and circled back to within 250 yards of the house and he had "NO IDEA" where we were and we were still on his ranch. I came back two weeks later and found the area that we were in and we were still on his ranch, but I never found my buck. This was a decent high 120's low 130's class buck.

If you want to spend your money and hunt there...more power to you. I just wouldn't pay that much again. To me it's not worth it. You tell me, First Point is $140.00 per day...Contrary Creek is $140.00 per day....no where near the same quality of bucks. I will say this...it's probably a good "STARTER" ranch for beginners. That's my opinion and if he is calling me to complain about what I wrote...well that just solidifies my argument about how unprofessional he is. There are always going to be people that don't like your gig...you learn from it and move forward...you don't call them out. I'm pretty sure there are a lot of people that don't agree with how Mike Palmer runs First Point, but I guarantee you he has "NEVER" called one of them on the phone.

Comment

Thanks for the honest report guys.

Comment

I have hunted there 2 years in a row last year was not that good.The first year i seen a couple of nice deer.But not worth 140.00 per day.I would go back but just to doe hunt.

Comment

John..you readin this?? Not just me bro....

Comment

Stins......here's another report. Sounds like the hunters left happy:

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                      Stins......here's another report. Sounds like the hunters left happy:

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...ad.php?t=35731
                      We are talking about deer....I know the guy strated the thread about turkeys...but we got on the topic of deer on PM's.....for turkey it's fine...a bunch of them too.

Comment

I have always seen lots of turkery at the ranch, just not sure if I could hit one.

Comment

Working...
                        X