First Elk Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Elk Hunt

Been a whitetail hunter many years now, last year decided to start applying for some Elk/MD draw hunts. Luck would have it I drew first year for CO Elk and that's when all the work started! Hours and hours of E-scouting, learning about elk and how to hunt them, and getting my butt in shape! I wanted my Dad(69yrs old) to be able to experience the hunt as well so I decided to find a drop camp so we could get deep in the woods and not worry about having to pack many, many miles. The area I was looking at was super steep terrain with a nearly 4k elevation change from trail head to camp. I was a little concerned with me hunting at 11.5-12k since I've never been at that elevation and also making sure Dad would be okay.

After we were dropped off at camp I decided to take it easy Day 1 to acclimate to the 12k elevation. I had 9 days to try and locate Elk and put 1 down. First 7 days I covered 5-6miles per day in some crazy terrain searching for Elk with not much heard or seen. I also ran into 9-10 other hunters who weren't having much luck locating them either.

Day 8 came around and I had located some vocal Bulls on a Mountain side about 2 miles from camp but they were deep in some canyons. As I made my way towards them and talking back and forth to them, I had a 6x6 come in at 30 yards and offer me a broadside shot! It happened so quick I couldn't believe what had just happened! I made a perfect shot and he hit the dirt not 10 yards from where I shot him!

The packout was brutal as I had to get him closer to camp and out of all the deadfall to allow the horses to get to him. I will remember that 1.5 days of packout for rest of my life. Terrain was too rough for Dad to help out, but I'm so glad he was able to be on the hunt with me. Hunt of a Lifetime for me, and I'm still in shock I was able to make it happen on my first Public Land Archery Elk hunt! Incredible experience!

Last edited by Codypatt1; 10-16-2021, 11:51 AM.

Awesome, hope we see some pics soon. Congrats!

Comment

Fantastic!

You look weary in that last photo.

Comment

Congrats Cody

Comment

Well done. Congratulations!

Comment

Congratulations! Good times.

Comment

That is awesomeness. Well done sir.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Congrats

Comment

What a great experience with your Dad…congratulations on a great bull!

Comment

Nice bull, congrats on your hunt. Those blowdowns look seriously difficult ! Good on you for taking your Dad, I’m sure he enjoyed it !

Comment

Memories right there. Congrats to you and your dad.

Comment

Originally posted by IowaHunter View Post
                        Fantastic!

You look weary in that last photo.

I won’t say I wasn’t whopped at that point!

Comment

Originally posted by 32drawlength View Post
                          Congrats Cody

Thanks Jeff! Good luck this season!

Comment

Wow heck of a 1st time elk hunt congratulations

Comment

that is some real adventure right there
                              congrats again

Comment