Water Siphoning question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water Siphoning question

We have a medium sized above ground pool 12' x 3'.
    Trying to figure a way to get it a little warmer.
    So I ran about 300' of 1" irrigation line on the roof of my patio cover 8' high(it's pleanty strong enough, I walk around up there some).
    I was hoping to use the power of siphoning to circulate the water.
    The pick up is about 4" under the water, and the return is about 18"-20" below the intake. I sized down to 3/4" pvc above the pool, to into the pool.
    I've primed the line and got all the air out, ran my small pump a while. But one I disconnect the pump, the water runs a little, then stops.
    Is this something not feasible to do? Is downsizing to the 3/4" causing problems?

I tested it with a garden hose, and it was working, but hose was on ground.

If this won't work, any recommendations for a low flow 110v pump.
    I want the water to move slow to allow it time to heat up some.

Here's a drawing, if it helps. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20211008_175629208.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	25262923

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

If I'm following you correctly you have a closed system and are going to need a pump. It might take some trial and error to match the head height of the pump to the slow rate you're looking for. A mag drive pond pump would probably work.

Comment

Your trying to siphon up hill, you can a short height, but not 8', unless you have a very strong siphon.

I would get a cheap above ground pool pump. That or like the previous person said, one of those pumps for the small ponds and or for a fountain.

Comment

That's what I was thinking.
        The thing that gets me is that it was working with the water hose, but maybe it's only 25' long, and emptied onto the ground helped it out

Comment

pick your pump to get the flow you want.

Comment

When the water hose emptied on the ground there was no back pressure. With the discharge lower in the water than the intake it will have more pressure to overcome than the intake can produce

Comment

Originally posted by doright View Post
              When the water hose emptied on the ground there was no back pressure. With the discharge lower in the water than the intake it will have more pressure to overcome than the intake can produce
              This makes sense

Comment

You might try putting the intake one the bottom and let the weight of the water help push, and the return above the water where there is no back pressure.

Comment

Working...
                X