Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Traditional

Old 06-17-2017, 01:30 PM   #1
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones County and Missouri
Default Guys who shoot both . . .

I took my Hoyt out for the first time since the last weekend of deer season. That weekend it killed three deer and a pig. I shot it well enough. Within a couple of ends I was shooting under 2" groups at 20 yards. Close to inch groups.

I learned a couple of things.
1.) If I'm paying money to hunt it I need to take the Hoyt.

2.) You have to make sure you don't cant your compound.

3.) I'm discouraged that I still feel that way on # 1.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk
DRT is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2017, 01:33 PM   #2
TP3
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hays, Val Verde co

I have a CRX32 that hasn't seen daylight in years.
Can't bring myself to get rid of it.
TP3 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2017, 01:34 PM   #3
TP3
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hays, Val Verde co

So I guess your title doesn't really pertain to to me anymore.
TP3 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2017, 01:34 PM   #4
DRT
Pope & Young

I've only had the Hoyt a year.

Old 06-17-2017, 03:02 PM   #5
White Falcon
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Tx. and Anywhere I can!

Is this with a Trad bow?
" Within a couple of ends I was shooting under 2" groups at 20 yards."
White Falcon is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2017, 03:10 PM   #6
ghostgoblin22
Ten Point

Hunt In: east texas

shooting a recurve helped my compound shooting out greatly, I still shoot mine and will use it a handful times during the season because ive had it for so long that I love hunting with it still, shooting both shouldn't interfere with form, using both... because its just that, just form
ghostgoblin22 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2017, 04:14 PM   #7
DRT
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Falcon View Post
Is this with a Trad bow?
" Within a couple of ends I was shooting under 2" groups at 20 yards."
Nah but I started to put rounds and it didn't sound right.

I shot the Widow this morning. Twenty yard groups were a little bigger than 2 inches but acceptable. I'll take it back out in a while as well.

Old 06-17-2017, 04:25 PM   #8
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill Country & East Texas

I view the compound now, like how most compounders view the crossbow. I would shoot it if I couldn't physically manage the stickbow but wanted to still hunt the archery season. There ain't nothing wrong with it... just isn't my cup of tea any more. I would just whip out a gun otherwise.

I believe confidence is a major factor. I have reached a point, personally, where I don't feel like I need the compound to be successful... I can manage just fine with trad gear at trad distances. But it has taken 3 years and nearly a dozen critters to get to that point.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
SwampRabbit is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2017, 04:26 PM   #9
Dkincaid
Six Point

If you consistently shoot 2" groups with a trad bow at 20 you have no worries with accuracy for hunting shots. The difference in 1" is negligible. I say hunt with what you want to hunt with I use every weapon you can imagine. I hunt because I like to eat deer I really don't get to excited about it anymore it's fun but also a necessary chore. I don't care anything at all about saying I'm trad or compound or rifle or Xbow I prefer to say I'm stuffed after eating backstrap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dkincaid is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2017, 04:31 PM   #10
DRT
Pope & Young

I'm not there. I wish I were. I take it hunting when I go but with so much work on the ranch I haven't hunted much and the pigs seem to have found better places to be. Great for the deer but not me. I went to Threefingers. 3 of us sit for pigs. I was the only one who didn't shoot one. Not getting many chances to build that confifence.

The target is pretty scared of me though.

Old 06-17-2017, 04:35 PM   #11
DRT
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkincaid View Post
If you consistently shoot 2" groups with a trad bow at 20 you have no worries with accuracy for hunting shots. The difference in 1" is negligible. I say hunt with what you want to hunt with I use every weapon you can imagine. I hunt because I like to eat deer I really don't get to excited about it anymore it's fun but also a necessary chore. I don't care anything at all about saying I'm trad or compound or rifle or Xbow I prefer to say I'm stuffed after eating backstrap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No sir I'm 4 to 5 inches at 20 with my trad bow. I definitely shoot better groups but I open a few up a little. Normally my first shot I shoot is from 20 or 15 and I'm usually comfortable with it being a kill shot.

Old 06-17-2017, 04:49 PM   #12
ghostgoblin22
Ten Point

Hunt In: east texas

theirs no rule that says you can't shoot both, enjoy them both....I enjoy practicing with my compound at 70-100 yards, it helps with the short shots, even with the strugglestick, makes those targets seem a chip shot..
ghostgoblin22 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2017, 04:52 PM   #13
ballgame
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

Sold my compound years ago.

Do what makes you happy.

Compounds stopped being fun for me.
ballgame is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2017, 04:55 PM   #14
DRT
Pope & Young

Yeah I just was rearranging a few things trying to find something and decided to sling a few with it. I'm going to get the string replaced and take it out a little more often but I really enjoy shooting my recurve more.

I just KNOW when I let go of an arrow with the compound it's going to hit where I need it to. With my recurve I'm still a little apprehensive each shot. Time and success will change that.

Old 06-17-2017, 05:42 PM   #15
Briar Friar
Ten Point

Hunt In: San Gabriel, Colorado and Rio Grande watersheds

DRT...keep the Darton get rid of the Hoyt..unless youre referring to the Buffalo. When SHTF and you need meat past 40 on the table and get it silently...youll get it done.

Last edited by Briar Friar; 06-17-2017 at 06:09 PM.. Reason: NoHoytSpake;)
Briar Friar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2017, 05:42 PM   #16
tradtiger
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lee Co., Granger

DRT:

I like your positive tone: "Time and success WILL change that."
tradtiger is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2017, 05:43 PM   #17
DRT
Pope & Young

Actually it's a Hoyt Carbon Spyder. And I'm going to keep it.

Old 06-17-2017, 06:02 PM   #18
DRT
Pope & Young

I've just gotta find some pigs.

Old 06-17-2017, 06:11 PM   #19
Briar Friar
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRT View Post
I've just gotta find some pigs.

Come to GRXH 2018 and Ill push some to you.
Old 06-17-2017, 06:12 PM   #20
Possum Fat
Ten Point

I shoot both, but I mostly only use the compound when im sitting on the ground on my butt with thick overhead cover.
Possum Fat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2017, 06:18 PM   #21
DRT
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briar Friar View Post
Come to GRXH 2018 and Ill push some to you.
Not sure what that is but it sounds like a blast. However I really hope that I kill twenty or more before then.

Old 06-17-2017, 09:42 PM   #22
Dry Bones
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas, Whatever comes available

Almost 2 years ago I bought a G5 and I still shoot it a good bit, did that today just for fun. In heavy winds it's good to challenge yourself. I also still hunt with the compound. I like my longbow but currently just do not have the skills to be as efficient as I want. Sure I hunt with my longbow as well, but my shots are considerably closer then 20 yards. Like you said to begin with. If I am paying then I want a little more assurance. To me it is more about the reason I am there. If it is more to put meat in the freezer or a paid situation, and my rifle is not an option, then I carry the compound, if it's just to relax and enjoy my time, I carry my longbow and if I happen to get that close chance I will try it.
Dry Bones is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-17-2017, 09:45 PM   #23
DRT
Pope & Young

Im hoping someday i can be as efficient with a trad bow as I am with a compound but time is against me on that. I may have just enough time to go from a wanna be to a never was.

Old 06-17-2017, 10:05 PM   #24
DRT
Pope & Young

Won't stop me from working at it though.

Old 06-18-2017, 02:32 AM   #25
tradslam
Eight Point

Hunt In: Co,Tx,Ne,Wy,Ok or where ever I draw a tag

I finally went all in this year, and got rid of all my compounds. Nothing wrong with shooting both, just needed to give it an honest shot for myself. I was guilty of getting close to big critters with the stick and not closing the deal. Then run home grab the compound and shoot one. Now, I've shot enough stuff that not killing isn't to big of a deal (I'm not a guy that is ok not shooting animals, I just understand that if I normally shoot 15-20 animals with the compound a year. I'll probably shoot half that with the stick).

If I get around to it, I'm hoping to post about how the season goes. Have a pile of tags this year, elk, muledeer, whitetail (5 tags), antelope(3 tags), turkey, lion, and head down for axis, aoudad, hogs next week! Will see how it goes!
tradslam is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-18-2017, 06:27 AM   #26
TxAg
Pope & Young

It works both ways. I shot both for a while and then sold my compound. Things were great until I started battling target panic. The time came when I sold all my trad bows and bought a compound. I even shoot a gun sometimes!!
TxAg is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-18-2017, 06:38 AM   #27
Felix40
Ten Point

I shot nothing but a recurve for over ten years. Then last year I broke down and bought a compound after the recurve cost me a mule deer that took me 4 years to draw a tag for. It turns out that the compound is pretty fun because you actually have a good chance of killing any animals you see. Im thinking that you have to be tougher to hunt with a compound too. Not only do you have to carry around a boat anchor all day but you end up carrying a lot more dead animals too!

Ill probably keep shooting both bows for a long long time. They both have their place.
Felix40 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-18-2017, 06:54 PM   #28
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRT View Post
Im hoping someday i can be as efficient with a trad bow as I am with a compound but time is against me on that. I may have just enough time to go from a wanna be to a never was.

The longer you switch hunt, the longer it will take. Anytime you hunt with something other than the trad bow, you take away your opportunities, and reinforce the difference between the two. You widen the gap even further.

Old 06-18-2017, 09:32 PM   #29
spidermonkey
Eight Point

Hunt In: northeast and central texas

Funny thing... I never "feel" like I miss out on game taken by not hunting with a compound. My setups are no different, therefore, shots will be the same distance. I haven't hunted with a compound in over 15 yrs, but, I remember the fact that I setup no different. It's always the same "relativity"... People think you're crazy for hunting with a compound when you could be hunting with a gun "what if you see a big un at 80 yds?!!" Then youre huntin with a trad bow when you could be huntin with a compound "what ya gonna do when you have a shot at a big un at 35 yds?!!" It will always be this way I guess. But, I set myself up for inside of 20 yd shots, and if something comes by out of my range, oh well! Cuz, you guessed it...that's why we call it "hunting". As long as the deer that came by out of range has no clue I'm there, maybe I'll get another crack at em! I am content with the fact that I know if I do my part, on the shootin side, and the hunting knowledge/woodsmanship side, I'll have opportunities to kill plenty of animals. But, I'll commend ya DRT, that if you ain't "comfortable" yet with your recurve, you don't want to go out and wound something... That will just make it worse on you wanting to hunt "only" with your recurve. BUT, do not think you'll get to the point where you're NEVER gonna wound/miss an animal now and then, cuz it is gonna happen! Now, nobody take this like "Rusty is ok with wounding and missing". NOT TRUE! Just know that sometimes WE WILL screw up, and that's with a trad bow, compound, or gun. It ain't an automatic thing to kill somethin with any weapon. We should always do our best to try to be "perfect" but, in reality, it's a never ending journey. Good Huntin, and God Bless, Rusty
spidermonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-18-2017, 10:23 PM   #30
DRT
Pope & Young

I sat in a tree on my place in Missouri last year and watched the only legal buck I save in the general season way past 100 yards while I had my compound in the tree with me. I can live with eating tag soup. Deer on the ranch or a lease watching a feeder, recurve no question.

Elk in Colorado is going to be the compound. I have but a few days and one shot if I'm lucky so I'm going with my best chance of success.

Old 06-19-2017, 11:04 AM   #31
bloodstick
Ten Point

Hunt In: All over Texas

I have been toying with the idea of selling my Z2 with the intentions of picking up a heavier weight recurve. But i will more than likely stick with what i have now until i kill a few critters with my current model.
bloodstick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2017, 11:14 AM   #32
DRT
Pope & Young

I'm not like some. I don't go to the blind or hike the timber and say I'm there to enjoy nature. Unless we're talking on a plate. If I'm there to hunt I'm there to kill something.

I'm willing to hunt deer and pigs with my trad set up because I'm confident in the ranges I'm set up at the feeders to do that.

Old 06-19-2017, 12:49 PM   #33
CRM_95
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East TX

I'm kicking around the idea of selling some guns to buy more bows...already sold my compound to help fund the bow I'm shooting now. I think I remember being told way back in the beginning that trad was "cheaper and simpler"!!
CRM_95 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2017, 12:50 PM   #34
bloodstick
Ten Point

Hunt In: All over Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRM_95 View Post
I'm kicking around the idea of selling some guns to buy more bows...already sold my compound to help fund the bow I'm shooting now. I think I remember being told way back in the beginning that trad was "cheaper and simpler"!!

HA!
I tried telling that to my wife...............

yeah, she was having none of it.
bloodstick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2017, 12:54 PM   #35
DRT
Pope & Young

Yeah I don't think I'm that guy. First I only want one other one. Second I'm not sure I want to sell a gun to find it. I've already really trimmed my stock.

Old 06-19-2017, 01:11 PM   #36
stickbowcoop
Eight Point

Hunt In: Hunting for a place to hunt

I have 9 trad bows and one compound, but I hunt with the compound. Due to 2 (well now 3 after 2 weeks ago) back surgeries and 2 bicep surgeries I need to shoot a bow with let off. I still break a recurve or longbow out once in awhile but I can only shoot 5-10 times and no way near enough that I would hunt with it. I have too much respect for animals to do that. I really miss hunting with my stickbows though.
stickbowcoop is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2017, 01:12 PM   #37
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

I am at the point now where I am not likely to pay for a hunt unless I can hunt it with trad gear. I don't see trad as an excuse to lesser success, I see it as a handicap that may or may not come into play depending on how things unfold. Those with handicaps often work harder to lessen the impact. That is the approach I take. I hunt way harder now and honestly, it makes for a more enjoyable hunt... at least for me.

Old 06-19-2017, 04:27 PM   #38
M.E.B.
Ten Point

I have killed somewhere around 90 deer and hogs with trad equipment give or take 10.

I developed target panic and took a compound to Africa have deer hunted with a compound the last three years.

I have changed my blind set up. Hunting the hill country and south Tx are different. I hope to use only my trad bows this coming season.

With a compound I have no fear of deer jumping the string out to 20 yds. With a recurve I have had deer jump at 15. I only shoot out to about 10-12 with a trad bow because of this even if I can hit further.
M.E.B. is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2017, 05:07 PM   #39
DRT
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampRabbit View Post
I am at the point now where I am not likely to pay for a hunt unless I can hunt it with trad gear. I don't see trad as an excuse to lesser success, I see it as a handicap that may or may not come into play depending on how things unfold. Those with handicaps often work harder to lessen the impact. That is the approach I take. I hunt way harder now and honestly, it makes for a more enjoyable hunt... at least for me.

I'm going to keep working to get there. I wanna be that guy.

Old 06-19-2017, 08:03 PM   #40
spidermonkey
Eight Point

Hunt In: northeast and central texas

You'll get there DRT... I feel like you got a little too much bulldog in ya to not get there eventually! We have come to figure out through your posts that you have a tendency to get a little frustrated, and bent outta shape sometimes when fighting a problem with your trad bow. You even said so yourself But here's the thing, we ALL get that way to some extent during our "journey" to try and master this fickle sport. Anybody that says they haven't, just told a lie!! I have been "bow only" since '83, and traditional only since prob 2000, but have been shooting my trad bows since prob '88. My point with all those dates was just that that's a fairly long time, and I still have my moments where things just ain't going right. I got invited to hunt with two buddies in Kansas this year, and the 1st thing they asked was "you taking that longbow?". Uhhh, since that's all I got, yes, that's what I'll be taking! What their angle was, was what I mentioned in that earlier post... "what if ya see one too far for the ol stick?!" That's something that never even crosses my mind anymore, cuz I will setup to give me that 15 yd shot, and let the hunt play out. Kinda like what Scott said, but a hair different... I don't really feel like I've become a better hunter since going to strictly trad, but, I am way more meticulous bout my setups being as precise as possible to get me a good killin shot. So, I guess in that aspect, I have become better. But, the reality of it is, what makes anyone better at killin stuff with trad equipment is... TIME. Time spent doing it until you eventually become somewhat consistent at putting yourself in position to make a killing shot, followed by executing that shot. And even though we may differ abit in that you ain't really in it for the "nature experience" side of it, one thing I can say... The more game you have in close proximity to you, you will become a better hunter, simply because you have to do more things right to consistently get within 15 yds of critters. And I do know for a fact you learn more about those critters, which will eventually lead to you being more consistent at killin em! Sorry bout the minor "side-track" And also, most definitely aint saying you aint killed lotsa critters, cuz i figure you've killed PLENTY!! You're doing it right, just keep practicing, get your confidence level up, kill lotsa stuff, and it will take care of itself. But most of all, do what makes the hunt the most enjoyable to ya! Good Huntin, and God Bless, Rusty
spidermonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-19-2017, 10:12 PM   #41
DRT
Pope & Young

Nah, not much quit in me. And I've been shooting well the last few weeks. At least on the block.

Old 06-20-2017, 05:27 PM   #42
Briar Friar
Ten Point

DRT I sent you an email that was meant to be a PM about string maker Daniel POC.
Old 06-22-2017, 05:07 PM   #43
DRT
Pope & Young

I was working daylight til dark 30 the last three days. I wasn't able to show up at the job until 7 today because of the HOA codes so I had some light to shoot before leaving. Three shots at 20 yards and dropped two out of three in the 2" bull and one an inch out. Shot 3 more to make sure it was not just a fluke then went off for the day. Started my day right.

Old 06-22-2017, 05:09 PM   #44
DRT
Pope & Young

Recurve not compound. That's just sitting there being lonely.