Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got it done 9 (Long Write Up)

Got it done 9

Before this year it has been 2 years since I sat in a bow stand. I use to have anxiety so bad I couldn’t shoot well and had target panic like no other and would miss deer after deer after deer and could never shoot good even during target practice. Which lead to me being discouraged and basically giving up on something I’m so passionate about. Losing one of greatest hobbies lead to boredom and self destruction going to bars every night drinking my bank account away and ruining relationships. Until last October I found out I was having my first son.. Which lead to me forcing myself to settle down stop going out and destroying my life constantly. I still didn’t get back into hunting last year I had interest but never showed initiative to actually go out in the work and set up stand/feeder. Well a year goes by and July comes around with my son just previously born at the end of June and I decide to pull my boy out after learning how to control my anxiety better after these past few months and start shouting. I was able to relax and shoot my bow not good but GREAT. So that gave me confidence to want to hunt again and pick back up on by far one of my greatest passions. During the two years of me not hunting I never gun hunted due to me being too hard headed because I’ve strictly only bow hunted since the age of twelve. Anyways fast fast forward.. my mom had recently bought 38 extra acres on top of her 12 acres in Huffman. I asked if I could set up a bow stand and feeder and she excitingly told me of course because she knows how passionate about hunting I am and missed me being so in love with something. So in August I set up a nice ladder stand tucked up in some yopons against a white oak and put a small 5 gallon bucket feeder 100 yards away just to keep deer in the area. I set up a trail camera just to observe deer numbers not expecting anything crazy just hoping to have some deer in the area that I can watch and out some meat in the freezer. After a few times checking cameras I was blown away by the deer numbers but not any big bucks.

(Fast forward to October)
    October rolled around and I began to see new bucks wasn’t sure if it was because cooler weather or new bucks looking for does were coming into the area. October 24th was my wife’s birthday and I had taken off work because I had things planned for her and considered slipping in and hunting the morning but didn’t because I wanted to sleep in being off work. That morning is when I first got trail cam pics of my 9. Once I saw him I wanted him and my old hunting instincts kicked in and the obsession I had lost went into full action. I started hunting every chance I got every weekend any chance I had I was in the woods, if I got off work early enough I’d slip in for an evening hunt, I had encountered him on a evening hunt on the 26th but he would not come out of the woods with this doe. The morning my wife was taking our daughter to school and she passes the property I hunt on her way and saw him on the side of the road with a doe. In my head I’m thinking all negative “great he probably left the property with a doe” I check cameras and he never came back since she saw him.
    I hunted yesterday morning the 27th after a full moon the night before and was skunked for my first time all year. Talking with my wife last night I was asking her if I should hunt this morning due to it being another bright moon and the weather warming up and she said you should sleep in because you have been hunting so hard and haven’t slept in weeks. I somewhat agreed then went and got my lap top and looked at pics of him. That encouraged me enough to make the hunt.
    This morning rolls around I get settled in my stand around 0620. Calm as can be bright moon, 58 degrees and mosquitos tearing me up. Day light rolls around and typically by this time I at least have a doe or small buck out eating hand corn.. but nothing. 0830 comes into play I’m sitting there texting my wife she’s asking what I want Thor breakfast and how things are going me complaining saying I’m getting skunked again and it’s a waste of time. 0850 I look up and 100 yards out along side a ride that runs along a creek I see movement. It’s a doe I get excited just to observe a deer next thing I know 20 yards behind her I see him.. My heart instantly starts rushing me saying please doe just please come my way but what does she do.. turns with her tail facing towards me and walks away. 0915 rolls around I haven’t seen the deer for 25 minutesI see movement about 50 yards to my left. It’s a doe my only thought is please be the same doe she’s moving in on a steady pace towards my hand corn and not far behind her there he is. Dark tall horns in the direct sunlight following behind her she stops 40 yards out with him staying at about 55.. in staring at him saying come this way. Next thing I know same place they came from here comes another buck a 4 point, then another buck a 8 point, then another 8 point then a spike, the 9 turns toward the nearest buck and lowers his head and runs him off. The 8 point comes walking towards the doe at a fast pace causing the 9 to rush in front of him to intercept before he can get to (His Doe) the 9 lowers giantess to the small 8 and they lock horns they never got into a actual fight but there horns trickled for a minute before the 8 comes to senses that he is no match for the 9. The 8 darts off away from the 9 directly toward my stand running underneath me with the 9 trialing right behind running him off the 9 stops 15 yards out from me looks back at (his doe) I draw settle my pin and let it rip. I smoked him right behind the shoulder absolute perfect shot he darts off 30 yards and stops not knowing what happened. His doe running off all bucks follow her including the 9. I felt confident in the shot with a nice pass through so I gave it 30 minutes and started tracking. Only to find him 60 yards away piled up. I’m beyond glad to have my passion back and beyond excited about this deer.
    I’M BACK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boom goes the dynamite

Comment

Weren’t you contemplating leaving early on another thread !? Good think you stick around huh!?

Comment

Nice buck! Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Awesome buck man!

Comment

Awesome buck. Congrats

Comment

Great buck! Congrats on getting things turned back around and accomplishing a major goal!

Comment

Very nice congrats to you

Comment

Awesome hunt and Buck! Congrats!

Comment

Congrats...

Comment

Prett buck. Great job.

Comment

Great job!

Comment

Nice buck! Way to get back on the horse.

Comment

Prime example of just bc it’s warm or a full moon don’t let it deter you. Can’t kill them from the couch, you gotta put in the time and grind. Trying to pick and choose when to hunt to intercept a buck is tough, just hunt as much as you can.

Nice job [emoji106]

Comment

Nice! Congrats

Comment

Working...
                              X