Fly Fishing Get Aways

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fly Fishing Get Aways

Where do you like to get away for a fly fishing trip?

Wyoming, Montana, and Arkansas are my favorite trout destinations.

Comment

Christmas Island

Comment

Sierras. When I hiked the JMT last summer I carried a 2 weight set-up and caught 100s of brooks and golden. They were not big, but there were so many and they were so hungry!

Comment

MT or AR

Comment

Rio Grand headwaters in Colorado.

Comment

Montana or Xcalak, Mexico. Both have their strong points. Montana you have relaxation, scenery, great fishing, awesome guides if you want to be pampered while fishing. It's my "I just want to go and forget everything for a while" place. I always come back feeling completely refreshed.

Mexico (if you go to the right parts) has world class fishing and is so cheap you feel criminal. Incredible guides can be had for cheap, and the trip is what you make it. The fishing tends to be more intense than relaxing (if you're targeting permit like you should be ), and with the sun, heat, intensity, frustration etc. the beer/tequila at the end of the day is more of a necessity than a choice. I get back worn out and ready to chase redfish just to redeem my pride. Still the water, fishing, beers, tequila, local food, friendly people make me wish I could spend a week every month there.

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
              Christmas Island

My buddy is going there in September. I think there are still a couple spots left and I'm trying to fight the temptation.

Comment

Southern Colorado. We go there every summer for a week. Solid fly fishing every day in the mountains. It doesn't get any better than that!

Comment

I’m headed to northern New Mexico this summer and have heard that New Mexico is an underrated place to catch trout but I have no first hand knowledge of that. I’ve caught plenty in south western Colorado

Comment

Come see us in Wyoming. DIY or guided either way great fishing. Rainbows, cutthroats, browns, brookies, cuttbows, tiger trout, goldens, and lakers. That's just the trout. Some kokanee too. And warm water species too.
                    Not too many people either.

Comment

Man don't waste your time on Brookies and Browns that are glorified panfish....go get hooked on a GT! Its my next trip, hopefully! Christmas Island, its actually pretty reasonable.

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
                        Come see us in Wyoming. DIY or guided either way great fishing. Rainbows, cutthroats, browns, brookies, cuttbows, tiger trout, goldens, and lakers. That's just the trout. Some kokanee too. And warm water species too.
                        Not too many people either.
                        I was just telling my wife we need to start saving up for a trip like this. Sounds like a dang good time and I love Wyoming.

Comment

Originally posted by Clay C View Post
                          Montana or Xcalak, Mexico. Both have their strong points. Montana you have relaxation, scenery, great fishing, awesome guides if you want to be pampered while fishing. It's my "I just want to go and forget everything for a while" place. I always come back feeling completely refreshed.

Mexico (if you go to the right parts) has world class fishing and is so cheap you feel criminal. Incredible guides can be had for cheap, and the trip is what you make it. The fishing tends to be more intense than relaxing (if you're targeting permit like you should be ), and with the sun, heat, intensity, frustration etc. the beer/tequila at the end of the day is more of a necessity than a choice. I get back worn out and ready to chase redfish just to redeem my pride. Still the water, fishing, beers, tequila, local food, friendly people make me wish I could spend a week every month there.

My buddy is going there in September. I think there are still a couple spots left and I'm trying to fight the temptation.
                          Don't fight it! Go! And take notes. I looked at a trip for 9k, that's me and my wife...10 days I think.

Comment

Stuart/West Palm Beach area, 10 wt in hand. Tons of snook, big jacks, all sizes of tarpon, big cudas that make a reel SCREAM, bonita, cobia, etc, etc.

You haven't lived till you watch a 30 pound jack blow up a big popper like a truck fell on top of it.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                              Don't fight it! Go! And take notes. I looked at a trip for 9k, that's me and my wife...10 days I think.

That should be my attitude. The only thing really stopping me is the addition 2,000-2,500 in equipment I’d buy. Need two twelve weight setups, spare lines etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X