Catfish Ponds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Catfish Ponds

Are there any catfish ponds near Houston that are still open? the ones i used to go to as a kid are now closed. I'd like to take my son to one soon.

thanks

Might want to see if this place is still open....not too far north of Houston

Catfish Pond the
    (936) 344-2027
    17091 N Highway 75
    Willis, TX 77378

Comment

In a few weeks the Texas Parks and Wildlife will start stocking Mary Jo Peckham every other week with catchable catfish, 12- 14 inches.

Comment

Wheres that?

Comment

Originally posted by tbeak View Post
          Wheres that?

Comment

These city parks that get stocked are THE way to do it with kids, especially. There's a park pond in Southlake that gets stocked regularly with channel cats. I can sit there and catch keeper sized ones all day. Tons of fun.

Comment

what are the rules at the city parks, are you supposed to release everything you catch?

Comment

Oh ok, i work out in Katy, Maybe i take a long lunch and go try to catch me some fish.
                When are they going to start stocking them?

Comment

here's some info on the program that i just found.

Try family-friendly city fishing from a pier or bank. Visit small stocked lakes close to home. Catch catfish big enough to keep. Kids under 17 fish free.

Comment

Originally posted by giterrell View Post
                    here's some info on the program that i just found.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/fishboat..._catfish.phtml
                    Beat me to it.

Check out the list of sites on the link. I think we have 14 lakes across the state in this program now. There may be one close to you Oh, you can keep the fish. Up to five a day per person. These lakes are stocked almost year round. Catfish through most of the year and trout in winter.

Hi Reese, haven't seen you around here in a while.

Comment

There is a place in Tomball. You can catch and release or you you can pay by the pound cleaned or not cleaned. I have taken my son there a couple of times before we got our little boat. Nothing fancy but...

Comment

to bad ya aint up here, you could fish in mine.

Comment

Bayou

If you're just trying to get him fishing, just take him down to your local bayou with a loaf of bread and some light tackle. The brim in our local bayou's (at least the Houston area) are as thick as fleas. Just throw a piece of bread in and let it soak for a couple minutes, then cast a small hook with some split shot and a lump of white bread. My son caught his first fish when he was three that way.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by ckuehl View Post
                            There is a place in Tomball. You can catch and release or you you can pay by the pound cleaned or not cleaned. I have taken my son there a couple of times before we got our little boat. Nothing fancy but...

http://www.tomballfishinghole.com/
                            i plan on checking this out. thanks alot, man.

Comment

i gotta be one of the lucky ones,,, ran into a guy a couple of years ago who gave me an open invite to fish his catfish pond anytime and keep a good mess anytime i go... other day an old friend calls me out of the blue and tells me he needs help catching about 1500 4-8 pounders out of one of his ponds,,, im loving it right now!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X