Monahans, Tx Deer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monahans, Tx Deer?

I got invited out to hunt a co-workers family land around Monahans. Says they have 2500 acres in the area. I have searched on here and found little about that area. What says the GS about a four day trip out there for whitetail or mulies? Is it worth the drive or just pass on it? Thanks

8 hour drive for the opportunity to hunt Mule deer in West Texas for free? Heck yeah! Most of the rest of us will probably never get the opportunity to hunt Mulies.

Comment

There are no deer or trees!

Comment

Matt aka Trophy8 would be the one to ask about that country. I know he has killed some dang nice deer in that area.

Comment

Uhhhhhhhhhh....... YEA!!!!

Looked at some property within a few minutes of Monaghans and it had Mulies, whitetail, tons of quail, I mean tonnnnnnnsssss, turkeys and doves. Didn’t see any hogs but was told they’re around there. I would love to hint the sand hills. I’ll take your spot if you don’t want to go.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
            There are no deer or trees!
            There sure aren't. No deer in any of those mesquite flats or sand dunes......

Op there are pretty good muleys in the area, no whitetail to my knowledge, piles of blues and bobwhites this past year. Good luck, be careful you can blow out 2500 acres in that country pretty quick.
            Last edited by MASTERS; 11-21-2017, 12:49 PM.

Comment

I hunt out there. There's tons of hogs out there. It's as flat as can be. Truthfully I've never deer hunted it, my buddy says they have em on cameras down by the river, I mainly go out there for quail.

Comment

There ain’t no deer out there! And they definitely won’t ever go to feeders, you’re just wasting your time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Tx.Fisher View Post
                  There ain’t no deer in out there! And they definitely won’t ever go to feeders, you’re just wasting your time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Lol

Comment

This is all suprisingly good info. I looked at it on google earth and all I saw was well sites everywhere. Never have been that far west so I had no idea. I will be working with him again next week and will get all the info then hope to try to make a trip this year, if not sounds like for sure next season.

Comment

You may see some mule deer but since I've been out here I haven't had a single landowner say anything about whitetail. 2500 acres out here is tiny compared to most places so that decreases your chances too. The last 2 years have been good for Quail and you'll likely see a ton. If you've never been out in this country you should make the trip, its not the hill country or south Texas but it is beautiful in its own way and you have to see it to really be able to appreciate it. What direction is it from town?

Comment

Originally posted by skipetex View Post
                        This is all suprisingly good info. I looked at it on google earth and all I saw was well sites everywhere. Never have been that far west so I had no idea. I will be working with him again next week and will get all the info then hope to try to make a trip this year, if not sounds like for sure next season.
                        Those well sites generally provide good road infrastructure, which can be both positive and negative. Good luck and don't run all the deer off the place the first time out

Comment

Yep. Monahans is oil country. I love it out there. 2500 acres of pure flatness is relatively small for out there. My buddy has 70k. Quail out there was good last yr. I went for the opener this yr and we only even saw a handful. Il be back out there in Dec ready to walk miles after miles w the dogs looking for blues. Bring a thermal and go hit all the hogs u can at night along w yotes

Comment

your not gonna see any setting on the couch. I would jump on it.

Comment

There are some huge mule deer bucks in that sand dune country.

Comment

Working...
                              X