Possible option to prevent gun violence on school campuses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possible option to prevent gun violence on school campuses

First and foremost, it all starts at the top with the parents. Spend more time sitting down as a family for dinner, be a role model, take part in their lives, enjoy the outdoors and/or family vacations. I-phones and computers are not babysitters, put the phones down and play board games a few nights per week. The family that prays together, stays together.

FYI - I'm guilty of poor parenting at times and realize I can be a better husband and father.

Thinking out loud with random thoughts .....
    ....Here's an option for security but not sure if it would ever come to fruition

Each city, community, Parish and/or County has young men and women who are members of the National Guard. Some are career while others are serving for their time enlisted. NG Officers are already activated throughout the Country during times of need and natural disasters.

Not sure what the total number of officers are, but perhaps they can be assigned as a "Safety Officer" 1, 2, 3 ?? weeks during the 9 month calendar school year. At least it may work as a deterrent to prevent future shootings and mass killings on school campuses. If it saves 1 life, then the plan would be successful.

It's unfortunate the media and liberal Democrats will publicize this tragic event for weeks/months to promote their own agenda. Blame is NEVER placed on the responsible parties: the shooter, mental health system, or lack of parenting. Instead those who lack cerebral knowledge and metal fortitude to get out of the rain will shift the focus on "assault rifles" and more gun control.

There is only one way to prevent a school shooting and that is to make it impossible for a weapon to get on campus.
    As for parenting, your right about being a better parent but I see parents daily who could care less about their kids. I see kids buried info a computer screen and barely notice us first responders walk past them in their homes.
    There will always be these events but they don't have to happen at a school

Comment

just outlaw AR-15's. End of problem.

Seriously, the problem is multi-faceted and my fingers don't have near enough energy to type it all.

Comment

Tons of options.

But this is a fact....up until today SF High School thought they had a plan in place. My schools in Alvin think they have a plan in place.

Realistically, if your school can't stop a gunman from entering the school......it has failed it's community. Harden the schools first and foremost NOW!. Then work on the religious, parenting , bullying and social issues after that.

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
          Tons of options.

But this is a fact....up until today SF High School thought they had a plan in place. My schools in Alvin think they have a plan in place.

Realistically, if your school can't stop a gunman from entering the school......it has failed it's community. Harden the schools first and foremost NOW!. Then work on the religious, parenting , bullying and social issues after that.
          agreed, time for metal detectors, armed guards or whatever. this madness is out control.

Comment

There is no reason any kid in Texas should be going back to school this year unless the school has been hardened.

They got 90+ days to get it corrected. Mark, set, GO!

Comment

Its not rocket science.
              There are plenty of examples all around us everyday.
              Ever paid attention to the security provided at an Astros game or accessing a county courthouse?

Comment

If they would drag that kid out in front of the court house and hang him in the nearest oak tree, leave him hanging until the crows had picked his bones clean, it would give the next useless thug something to ponder.

Comment

Originally posted by Buff View Post
                  If they would drag that kid out in front of the court house and hang him in the nearest oak tree, leave him hanging until the crows had picked his bones clean, it would give the next useless thug something to ponder.

...excuse makers chirping about mental health, medications, and bullies in 5, 4, 3, 2....

Comment

Blake, I believe you are on to something, especially the parenting part. As for providing security to the schools so as to stop our schools from being the soft targets that they are, I believe your suggestion is legitimate and there are many other good solutions out there, but those in charge of schools do not want to divert the necessary funds away from their pet projects and college style/size football stadiums.

One other thing that is a factor and bugs the crap out of me is the fact that we criminalize and punish kids that wind up in some kind of physical altercation because they stood up to a bully or someone who is in the wrong. I was told, just this morning by an AP at my kids school that it doesn't matter what the situation is, both parties to any fight will both be punished. I knew this was the policy prior to this meeting, have always had problem with the policy, but in light of this morning's events, it just rubbed me way too wrong. I was respectful, but told her I completely disagree with the policy and that I was not going to allow my kids to be forced to be victimized and that if they were in trouble at school for defending themselves or someone else from someone who was in the wrong, I would have their back. I'll add that I also told her that if my kid starts it, they would be severely punished. I don't put up with that and have always taught them to be kind to everyone around them.

In this environment, when we don't allow kids to stand up for themselves or for another person, we take any power the kid has away from them and put it all in the hands of teachers/administrators. This is not giving kids an opportunity to learn how to deal with adversity. Taking away their ability to defend themselves puts them in a position to always be a victim and at some point, they are going to snap. When they snap, they decide they are going to take the power back and who knows what they're going to do. Sadly in many cases lately, they are deciding to shoot up a place where they have been the victim. In their mind, consequences be ****ed. They aren't worried about it, because in their mind, if they live, they were able to inflict the pain they wanted to and if they die in the process, they don't care, because their life wasn't worth living anyway. Life as a perpetual victim is no life at all.

Sometimes you gotta punch a bully in the nose.

I'll stop before my rant gets too long. I feel like I could go on for a while about this, but I have work to do.
                    Last edited by BigWes; 05-18-2018, 01:17 PM.

Comment

yup

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
                        ...excuse makers chirping about mental health, medications, and bullies in 5, 4, 3, 2....
                        While I'm not opposed to the public hanging, these kids who do this don't give a crap about the consequences. You think they don't know there's a good chance they are committing suicide by cop? Most of them have been marginalized their entire life and weren't able to fight back at any point so they are going to take down as many as they can when they decide to end it all themselves. They know they're going to get attention, even if they die in a shoot out. A public hanging would be the same effect - notoriety and revenge in the same swipe.

Comment

Theres always gonna be unstable kids around. Always has been.
                          We gotta keep weapons out of the schools.

Comment

Originally posted by systemnt View Post
                            you dont think these things play a part?

Comment

Only thing i will say about this.. is i do believe the era of medicating people instead of forcing them to develop coping mechanisms plays a large part in the wussification and poor-me attitudes of recent generations.
                              "Mentally ill" is overused.... and excuses way too many things...and the medications prescribed arent teaching them how to deal with any stresses and in many of these cases increase the chances of psychological breaks.
                              need proof? at some point , pretty much all these mass killers were either diagnosed and/or prescribed these anti-psychotic medications, given an acronym that explains their behaviours, and never taught to deal with **** other than pop pills.

Comment

Working...
                              X