Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

24 acre ranch build - raw land to paradise!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ready!
    Attached Files

Comment

Looking Good!

Comment

I could not stop reading this, great work, keep it up.

Comment

Originally posted by XBowHunter View Post
          U da man !!!
          Originally posted by DUKFVR View Post
          Looking Good!
          Originally posted by 3DW5 View Post
          I could not stop reading this, great work, keep it up.
          Thanks, fellas! I'm gearing up to put in a lot of hard work this weekend (coupled with some relaxation time at night sitting in my ground blind), so expect plenty of pics of my progress!

Comment

Originally posted by Sneaky View Post
            Ready!
            I got $20 that says that wire won't last a week when the pigs start hitting it.

That little dog collar clamp will be the next weakest link.

Comment

Originally posted by Texastaxi View Post
              I got $20 that says that wire won't last a week when the pigs start hitting it.

That little dog collar clamp will be the next weakest link.
              I'm a bit curious to see if it hold also. It's wire fishing leader, so it's definitely not weak. The little dog collar clamp is all steel, so it definitely will not break, but who knows if it might get hit at just the right angle to make it open up. I can always remove it and just use the opening chain link above it by itself.

I'm going to have the other end of the chain attach to a big steel ring, and that ring go around a large T-post I drive down in the ground.

This is definitely my first pass though, and I will be watching closely for any failures of components, then adjust my strategy from there if needed.

Comment

The anchored end sounds stout, but a chain is only as strong as the weakest link.

You will soon see how destructive hogs are.
                Allow some time to search for your missing pig pipe!

Comment

Originally posted by Texastaxi View Post
                  The anchored end sounds stout, but a chain is only as strong as the weakest link.

You will soon see how destructive hogs are.
                  Allow some time to search for your missing pig pipe!
                  I think what I'll do, since I'm going to Home Depot in a few anyway, is remove that snap hook, and just the quick link above it, and then replace the wire with a chain. You got me all paranoid now!

Comment

The snap hook needs to stay since it swivels and is what will ensure the chain does not bind up. However, I have heeded your recommendation and upgraded the wire significantly. I'm quite certain that this setup will be more than adequate against any stresses the hogs jostling of the pipe will place on any of its components. What do y'all think?
                    Attached Files

Comment

And so the ranch weekend begins! I set up the trap, baited it with corn, Pig Out, and strawberry soda.

Now, after enjoying a well-earned beer, I'm curling up in a sleeping bag in the back of my truck to get some Z's.

I'll post pics of the trap in the morning, and post before/after pics of this weekend's projects.

Comment

Can't wait to see!!!

Comment

good luck!

Comment

Sneaky, if that fails I would use an eye bolt through the end of your cap next time. Following along and good thread.

Comment

So begins the photo recap of today's work:

The pig pipe
                              Attached Files

Comment

Close-up of the hardware
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X